www.guitarbackingtrack.com - What happened?

Isn't that that the website that had the picture of a long amplifier head?

The links to "personalize backing track" were always directed to https://www.karaoke-version.com so maybe it did belong to them, or it was a sponsored click.

Anyway, their backing tracks were nothing but publicly available MIDI files automatically converted to mp3. Nothing is lost. You will get better quality creating your own backing track from the MIDI file, using VST instruments, instead of these GM sounds of the mp3 file

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same thing. It's been down for 2 weeks now. The quality varied widely since they relied on people contributing their own renditions. Some were great, including live performances. But some were not so great. Among the best ones were the original artist's tracks, remixed to eliminate guitar. Those probably came from Guitar Hero. That may have triggered legal problems which, just guessing, might the cause of the shutdown. Yes, it is owned by Ultimate Guitar.

Last edited:
I've been known to download a couple of backing tracks of those. Anything with midi drums and/or bass was obviously crap but there were some gems on it. Since you could only download 3 tracks for day for free after a while I could no longer arsed to go back there.

I’ve contributed a bunch of backing tracks there and a few other sites as I’ve had to make some because my drummer would show up when he felt like it. They’re a lot of fun to record.

Ultimate Guitar shut it down because of new legislation involving royalties and website advertising. The advertising, until recently, covered site maintenance and royalty payments. Currently there are no plans to re-open the site, if it does come back it won't be free or cheap.

Isn't that that the website that had the picture of a long amplifier head?

The links to "personalize backing track" were always directed to so maybe it did belong to them, or it was a sponsored click.

Anyway, their backing tracks were nothing but publicly available MIDI files automatically converted to mp3. Nothing is lost. You will get better quality creating your own backing track from the MIDI file, using VST instruments, instead of these GM sounds of the mp3 file
If you dug around enough there were quite a few amazing user created non midi tracks (I actually did a few myself). This is actually a huge loss for me. Was how I was able to find a boat load of tunes to jam with (that are not on the paid sights). Very sad.

Hi, all. New here but a long-time fan of the original Axe-Fx from when I used to play at my church.

I work with GuitarVoice and wanted to reply so you guys are aware of the free tracks we have to download and stream over there. Please search us up since I can't post a link as a newbie. We have over 10,000 tracks and many of them are similar to the songs at guitarbackingtrack.

We are affiliate partners with Karaoke Version too, which has really good pro tracks and they have been great to work with.

Last edited:
Hi, all. New here but a long-time fan of the original Axe-Fx from when I used to play at my church.

I work with GuitarVoice and wanted to reply so you guys are aware of the free tracks we have to download and stream over there. Please search us up since I can't post a link as a newbie. We have over 10,000 tracks and many of them are similar to the songs at guitarbackingtrack.

We are affiliate partners with Karaoke Version too, which has really good pro tracks and they have been great to work with.
Do you also do live backingtracks that I could use for my cover band?

All of the tracks are provided for free for educational purposes to use at home. For public performances, you would still need to purchase rights through an agency like Harry Fox or ASCAP.

Back
Top Bottom