WTF with Windows 10 Unannounced Updates/Reboots?

What I dislike about the windows updates is that they cascade - you apply an update an then there is often another, and another ... - it can't seem to just figure out where the machine is at and bring it up to date. I could see this behaviour being required for larger updates, but I've seen it happen with a hole series of smaller ones - been like that for a long time - don't think it will ever change.

Exactly why I avoid their products like the plague. Not only do I hate the UX, but they've perfected the art getting their users sucked into their whole ecosystem. Your reference is on-point because they are deffinitely the Borg of corporations.
I am unassimilatable. I like OSX but not iOS. Bought what is likely my last Mac this spring, as by the time it is useless they will have moved away from OSX, according to the rumors. After that, likely I will be building a Linux box again. Hopefully AxeEdit will have a a version packaged for Linux by then....

Exactly why I avoid their products like the plague. Not only do I hate the UX, but they've perfected the art getting their users sucked into their whole ecosystem. Your reference is on-point because they are deffinitely the Borg of corporations.
This cracks me up as I have been a Mac user since the IIe and my first purchased computer was a Performa 6100 and your comment is exactly what Apple users were saying about Microsoft back then.
But I disagree about the U/X as I dig Mac OS X.

I once had Windows decide it was time to install a lengthy update at power down, at the time my UPS decided it needed to do a forced shutdown due to depleted battery. The UPS of course gave it plenty of time for a normal power down, but then dropped power in the middle of furious Windows update disk I/O. That immediately preceded one of multiple delightful rebuild-from-scratch time wasters. Now mainly on Macs, booting my Win PCs every once and a while for nostalgia (and updates).

This cracks me up as I have been a Mac user since the IIe and my first purchased computer was a Performa 6100 and your comment is exactly what Apple users were saying about Microsoft back then.
But I disagree about the U/X as I dig Mac OS X.

Part of the reason I hate them stems from childhood. We had Apple PCs in the house growing up. Going all the way back to the first generations. You the ones, where the floppy disks were actually floppy. I was jealous of all the cool PC games my friends got to play that were never ported to Apple.

I am unassimilatable. I like OSX but not iOS. Bought what is likely my last Mac this spring, as by the time it is useless they will have moved away from OSX, according to the rumors. After that, likely I will be building a Linux box again. Hopefully AxeEdit will have a a version packaged for Linux by then....

UGH. IOS suuuuuucks.

And anyone who thinks MacOS updates don't break things are wrong. A month or so ago when a bunch of our users updated to Catalina, it completely broke Citrix Workspace on their machines.

Check this out...

I have a system that I dual boot (two different devices with one an SSD and one an M2) with both having Windows 10. The M2 is my DAW and does all things music related and I don’t use it much for anything else unless it’s related to DAW stuff - updates to plugins and such. It’s running whatever was before 2004 (1909 ?).

The other device is an SSD and is running 2004. I use it for all non-DAW stuff and the update from 1909>2004 went fine.

The M2 running 1909 fails the update to 2004 every damn time.
The SSD updated to 2004 just fine. But now fails EVERY update after that.

Mind you that from a logical perspective BOTH devices are running the exact same hardware. Literally the same CPU, RAM, vid care, etc.

So incredibly sloppy, Microsoft.

I've been using this computer for several days and not once did Windows mention anything about needing to do an update/reboot. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, it decides that it needs to update and reboot. Thank god I had saved all my work as all my windows were closed except for Chrome (?). Visual Studio was reopened but all the child windows were gone.

I was curious about this as I thought there were some switches to turn off this behavior. Well, I haven't found the one to stop auto-run of Windows Update yet, but you can at least defer the reboot. Settings on my system (ironically enough, Win running under Parallels on a Mac):

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 2.21.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Pardon a dumb question but I’m mot a windows user. If I have windows set up to never have wireless turned on when it boots up, and I never bring the OS online (because it works without problems) can I sit out updates for a while without issues? I boot into windows in bootcamp on Mac but only use it for CAD programs and nothing on the windows side needs to be online. I’d prefer to keep it that way if possible.

Don't you just love being a part of the Microsoft QA department?
Microsoft: We outsourced QA.
Everyone: ...
Microsoft: It’s just everyone now
Everyone: Fuuuu...
Microsoft: You’re not getting paid.
All of Us: Wait a sec...
Microsoft: We decide when you work for us.
Us schmucks: You can’t...
Microsoft: We own every workplace and government, too.
Us: I’m calling the police.
MS: They won’t help you because we’ll just trash the records
Apple: How are we looking now?

Last edited:
Pardon a dumb question but I’m mot a windows user. If I have windows set up to never have wireless turned on when it boots up, and I never bring the OS online (because it works without problems) can I sit out updates for a while without issues? I boot into windows in bootcamp on Mac but only use it for CAD programs and nothing on the windows side needs to be online. I’d prefer to keep it that way if possible.
There are never not updates. If you stay ”air gapped”, the moment it sees internet it’s going to try to update. They prevent you from completely disabling updates, they ignore your deepest desires to stop harassing and disruptive notifications. They’re the worst.

You can always disable automatic updates and set active hours for reboots, also it is possible to disable the Windows ability to reboot, needs some change on the registry, I would not do it anyway.

M$ patches their OS much more frequently than Apple does for example, among other reasons because they have to release frequented security updates, they have their own anti malware solution, they have now their OS as a Service policy .... I never had an issue on 6 years using it.

I had though a big one with my new MacPro some weeks ago, with the latest Catalina update provoking my 4K euros laptop being unusable because some shit happening with the accountsd process using 100% of the CPU, and having to run numerous and sometimes esoteric operations to fix it. Turns out I was not the only one.

Back
Top Bottom