Wtf moment at local music store, Frankenguitar story

Edrod

Power User
Sorry no pics :(

I went with the wife to a local music store in albuquerque. I've been looking for a cheap mexican strat since my options are limited. As you guys may were the Devils minians, yup you guessed it, I play backwards. To my surprise my wife found a left handed strat. I was in complete shock since it's close to impossible to come across a left handed guitar that's not s squier out here.

First impressions was WTF, the guitar was green. To give you a better visual, diarrhea green..... I said wtf I'll try it especially since it was ticketed at $250. Upon inspecting it, I noticed several scratches. I talked to someone from the store about the possibility of dropping the price since basically was a bit beat up. He came back and said he could do $200. Well what the hell for that price it might be worth a shot.

I'm preparing the speech to justify to the wife why we're about to spend $200. I find a fender deluxe reverb, boom, a good combo right there. So this is where it gets interesting..... I plug the guitar, and whoah!.... The strap lock is missing.... I inspected.... Someone took it out and put it on the other side....... well that's strange I said. I look at the guitar, the strings are backwards.... Yes for a righty..... Ok not too bad, I guess I can just switch the strings. Plug it and the true wtf happens.

Upon my excitement to see a left handed guitar I did not realize it had only one volume know. And yes you guessed it, it was removed and put on top of the body by the strings. The toggle switches were replaced for small 2 2-way small switches. The guitar store guy comes and tells me in an annoyed voice, "well do you name (insert local tool guitarist)". I said, sorry I dont...... He replies, well just so you know HE made that guitar.

So basically by making the guitar, he destroyed a perfect left handed guitar and took it upon himself to turn in right handed (literally) since there's not enough right hamded guitars out there.

Won't lie, I was quite bummed about this. I wish I would have taken some pics of how shitty this thing was.

Eddi

Sounds like he was trying to achieve that Hendrix look while playing (sort of). Not the 1st time that's been done.

One of my favorite axes was a lefty for a while. I had to move the strap button back to where it belonged, re-string it, and re-solder the pickup switch when I bought it. Never filled the extra strap hole. Worth it though. It has the sweetest neck I've ever played on.

Yup which I inderstsnd, it just sucks that such a good instrument was destroyed trying to achieve something he didn't even pick. It's didferent when you're a lefty hahaha

I can probably make a top 100 list of things I've come across

The worst was a White Ibanez JEM7v that someone converted to a fretless

I tried buying it actually- I saw it on craigslist then I found it consigned at a music store
I probably offered them 600-700 for it
then they sold it to someone for 1000

(Then a month or two i got my white jem7v the year i wanted in mint condition for 900- oh and it has frets too!)

I've seen some crazy crazy shit of people doing awful things to instruments at music stores and pawn shops...

although- i have to say- when i see problems with gutiars or issues i can complain about- i get excited because i know that just makes the price go down and down and down....

Went to a pawn shop a few days ago- they had a really cool 80s weird painted explorer it was priced at $199 and had no bridge or neck pickup

I said that it was cool- then they asked if i would buy it- i said no and they're stupid for asking...
their reply was "$5"
I'm like "sold"

Back
Top Bottom