Wrong asset type for current model config?

Okay so bare with me since I don't play around with my axe fx much, if this is a noob question. I downloaded a violin patch that I saw on Youtube and got it from the Fractal Forum. I went into axe-manage, clicked on import preset, clicked on the violin preset, and then got that message. How do I fix it?

Sell your Axe-II , buy an Ultra or Standard and then load the patch!

If you don't think that's a good idea then simply search the forum for a good violin patch for the Axe-II.
I think Yek has one in his collection.

Last edited:
Haha I had no idea that the Axe fx 2 can't load old axe fx patches. I thought it was one of those things that was backwards compatible per say.

I saved all my personal AFX II presets via 2 cable midi to Sysex Librarian, and now the AFX II is not 'recognizing' them when I send back the same way - NOT GOOD. What could the problem be??? If I can't reload these presets, I'm basically 'starting over' with the AFX II :(

I saved all my personal AFX II presets via 2 cable midi to Sysex Librarian, and now the AFX II is not 'recognizing' them when I send back the same way - NOT GOOD. What could the problem be???
Mr. H... can you open them in AxeEdit ?

The violin patch is mostly a synth block, which is sharable and, is I'm not mistaken, compatible with the axe 2. You have to save the block, not the whole preset, then import it. Probably won't sound perfect, but should be close. I'm going to try this after this weekend as I love that patch as well.

Mr. H... can you open them in AxeEdit ?

No - When I attempt to import them, I get this: 'Wrong asset type for current model config'

If I can't find a solution, this equates to *a lot* of wasted time by yours truly.... My, how I hate wasting time!

I *really don't understand* why the presets are not recognized went sent in the same format they were recorded in...

Similar Problem

Updated firmware to 6.00c (confirmed on Utility | Firmware menu). Any user v6 preset I try to load via Axe Edit (latest) returns "Wrong asset type for model config"

This is a serious problem - I really hope that Fractal are on top of it... :) It could mean the difference of my being able to use my AFX II during the next touring season or not. I must make that decision within the next week...

No - When I attempt to import them, I get this: 'Wrong asset type for current model config'

If I can't find a solution, this equates to *a lot* of wasted time by yours truly.... My, how I hate wasting time!

I *really don't understand* why the presets are not recognized went sent in the same format they were recorded in...
If you backed them up from a v5.* version, they should import fine. Are they in a bank or separate presets?
If separate can you send a single one to Axe. If it goes, you can pull it up, edit the amp block, flip amp to another then back to original and save preset on Axe itself.
If not, i would contact support...

If you backed them up from a v5.* version, they should import fine. Are they in a bank or separate presets?
If separate can you send a single one to Axe. If it goes, you can pull it up, edit the amp block, flip amp to another then back to original and save preset on Axe itself.
If not, i would contact support...

Sorry - That is totally unclear to me. 'If you can pull it up?' That is the main problem... 'Edit the amp block' - why? It doesn't need editing. 'Flip to another, then back to the original' - Huh? I will lose the whole preset at that point, no?

"Wrong Asset Type Message"- I solved my problem. It was the difference between right clicking and saving a *.syx file from the forum, and actually clicking on it and getting the official download dialog. Strange enough, the right click method still saved a legit looking 25k *.syx file, it just wasn't recognized. When done via the click / dialog box, the files are usually around 6-7k

Since I'm using a Mac, I can't totally relate - it appears all the backup presets I saved are 12k on the Mac platform.

I'm assuming you're using Sysex Librarian to try to send the presets back over. Are you trying a whole bank at a time or one at a time? Are you seeing the error on the actual Axe FX screen?

Can you open Axe Edit -> Axe Manage and then navigate to the folder where your presets are stored? Highlight one of the patches, then right-click "Send selected to axe fx".

What s0c9 was saying was to upload the single preset, hit "edit" on the amp block and change the amp model to a different model, then back to the original. Shouldn't mess up the settings of the block, but will tell the axe to reload that model. Then store the patch. Of course, if you can't open the patch in Axe Edit or on the machine at all, then this method doesn't work.

Edit: Sidivan was kind enough to look at one of my preset files and it is way too small to contain all the information needed - All the backups were defective! I am starting over from square one, but at least it's on 6.0! :)

Last edited:
Good reason to start sharing your "performing presets" from now on, no? :mrgreen;)

And never put your money on one horse. It would have been great to have done this as a backup way after saving them with Axe Edit in the first place.

One reason I could imagine is that the "conversion" of previous presets is done in Axe Edit and you can't load them directly via another program, cause the Axe doesn't have this programming/filteirng built-in (not saying it is so, probably not, but in theory it could be true and I would have played it safe, knowing that).

Good luck!

The violin patch is mostly a synth block, which is sharable and, is I'm not mistaken, compatible with the axe 2. You have to save the block, not the whole preset, then import it. Probably won't sound perfect, but should be close. I'm going to try this after this weekend as I love that patch as well.

How do I load the patch so I can just save the synth block? I tried loading it into Axe edit itself, but it doesn't load.

Edit: Sidivan was kind enough to look at one of my preset files and it is way too small to contain all the information needed - All the backups were defective! I am starting over from square one, but at least it's on 6.0! :)

There's also a handy "onboard" backup feature in the Axe II ("Utility" -> Preset). Can't hurt to do that now and then in addition to backups on the computer (be it through Axe-Edit or some sysex librarian software).

WOW - A glimmer of hope!!! :) That may be exactly what I did (by mistake) - how do I go about retrieving those presets??? (I recall I did it from within Utility/Presets)

You have "Backup Bank A/B/C/System" (of course separate, each in a row) and beneath follows "Restore User Bank A/B/C/System", which does exactly what the names imply :)
Crossing fingers that you get your work back!

FYI, scrolling all the way down there are also options to restore the factory banks (which are dated though, because they're the same as when you got the unit brand new).

Back
Top Bottom