Writing Things Down and keeping Track of settings.

H3O2

Experienced
Do any of you folks document your presets and system settings somewhere? And if so, would you share your process? I back up regularly, but data is only good if you can retrieve and understand it. I've been writing some things down, and I started using One Note a little, and some info I keep in track notes on my DAW. It's kind of scattered tho.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Just a good old back up and of course the bot makes things so simple, no need for writing stuff down. Also, back up onto the unit itself as well, and the utility makes it easy to restore individual presets if required.

I just use my iPhone and take pictures, in this day and age not only am I too lazy to write I also like have the digital copy on my person. It amazes me how many people don't utilize tech and still use paper and pen sticky notes.

Probably a little OCD but I have a simple Excel spreadsheet with presets and cabs used in each. I have several presets that use "user" cabs and I keep track of them to make sure I don't move or replace ones that I am currently using. I also have a layout of my MFC-101 with switches labeled to keep track of instant access and preset buttons.

Yes, I take pics sometimes. Spreadsheet is a good idea. Lots of tabs to use. I was hoping AE3 might have a notes section, but I doubt it.

For iPhone users there's an app called ReKawl which is specifically for keeping settings etc. It has a photo and notes section and is nicely laid out. Handy.

When axe edit 3 comes, I will also be making great use of the screen shot feature

Screen shot feature?

Do you mean snapshot? That has been around for quite awhile. It doesn't capture the screen it captures a quick save for later reference.

For iPhone users there's an app called ReKawl which is specifically for keeping settings etc. It has a photo and notes section and is nicely laid out. Handy.

Won't work. When you look at a settings page on the hardware, you'll that (in most cases) a parameter's exact value is displayed only when it has the focus (selected). With the other params you have to make do with the visual indication.

A few days ago I found a really cool tool for automatically writing down all preset parameters. Maybe you know it already. It‘s called Axe-FX II Preset Report Generator which was written by CyberFerret last year.

You just have to drag and drop the preset.syx into the program and you’ll get an pdf-file with absolute everything written down. I think it’s very helpful to get an great preset-overview and you‘re always able to take a look in the pdf-file while programming another new preset. So again: thank you CyberFerret

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/54638-axe-fx-ii-preset-report-generator.html

It's kind of scattered tho.
I think the only things you have to track by yourself are the global blocks and the presets using user cabs.

I use global blocks per band/use of the axe-fx: global blocks 1 are for band A, 2 for band B, 3 for acoustic, 4 if the axe is used as outboard and so on.

If you know exactly wich preset uses wich user cab you will know the impact of a change made on a user IR.

I've used excel spreadsheets in the past, but I've started over enough times now through various FW updates that a lot of what I do with my typical presets is in my head. My presets are fairly simple though.. nothing fancy. I intend to get a little more organized when AE 3 drops though. I've developed quite a few more presets with FW11b than in the past- it seems to be that much of an improvement for me that I've put more time into the details than with past FW updates.

I'd love to use Cyber's report generator but I'm on Mac...

Last edited:
Input much appreciated,guys. I use Cyber's report generator also, and it's quite handy. Funny, but I have put more time into shaping presets since 11b for the same reasons. I don't get too complex with settings, but sometimes I made some minor changes with big results and hate when I forget what I did on which preset! I've been working on naming conventions and that's helped quite a bit. The directory page on RECALL mode on the Axe let's you see an a-z list which using special characters sorts my stuff at the top.

Back
Top Bottom