Wrecker Express Normal scene is my new favorite factory preset

mikeyg

Experienced
I’m putting together some songs for a jam this weekend. Tonight I was working on Jesus Just Left Chicago. Once I had the solo down I started hunting for the best amp for that song. I wanted something where I could keep the guitar at 7 for the ‘clean’ sections and bring it up for the edgier parts, and no need for a pedal.

I tried the usual suspects: an old tweed bassman and Plexi... but when I decided to try the Wrecker Express, there it was.

There’s the obvious things about the Wreck that make this amp suitable for this song, like touch sensitivity and the guitar volume clean up, but those things aren’t exclusive to the Wreck model.

The thing, I think, that pulled it all together, is the reverb. It sounds like a small room with fairly quick decay, but it really gives it the same qualities as my kinda small jam room, as well as the song itself

I played for an hour straight, and it sounds great at any volume, unlike a bunch of other presets. I bet I could play 80% of my shtuff with this preset.

Overall I’m super impressed with Cygnus. !

I’m putting together some songs for a jam this weekend. Tonight I was working on Jesus Just Left Chicago. Once I had the solo down I started hunting for the best amp for that song. I wanted something where I could keep the guitar at 7 for the ‘clean’ sections and bring it up for the edgier parts, and no need for a pedal.

I tried the usual suspects: an old tweed bassman and Plexi... but when I decided to try the Wrecker Express, there it was.

There’s the obvious things about the Wreck that make this amp suitable for this song, like touch sensitivity and the guitar volume clean up, but those things aren’t exclusive to the Wreck model.

The thing, I think, that pulled it all together, is the reverb. It sounds like a small room with fairly quick decay, but it really gives it the same qualities as my kinda small jam room, as well as the song itself

I played for an hour straight, and it sounds great at any volume, unlike a bunch of other presets. I bet I could play 80% of my shtuff with this preset.

The Express is a great amp and very touch-sensitive when dialed in....

Last edited:

Yes, don't overlook the FAS amps (e.g. Wreck, Express and Crunch)! Also do yourself a favour and try swapping the EL34's with 6CA7's with associated power tube settings as discussed in this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wrecker-express-with-6ca7s-o-o.174290/#post-2114814

My Litmus Test for a Wreck sound I like has always been Glenn Kuykendalls "Can You Hear It Ring" 59 Les Paul + Trainwreck demo he did on youtube. No Effects. Just the guitar into the amp. Maybe it`s just his Wreck I like. ;p Haven`t played around with the Cygnus Wreck yet, but it`s high on my list.

My Litmus Test for a Wreck sound I like has always been Glenn Kuykendalls "Can You Hear It Ring" 59 Les Paul + Trainwreck demo he did on youtube. No Effects. Just the guitar into the amp. Maybe it`s just his Wreck I like. ;p Haven`t played around with the Cygnus Wreck yet, but it`s high on my list.
I met Glenn and played through his rig at a Nashville amp show about 10 years ago. Great guy, amp and guitar!

Glen came to the Tampa Tonefest many years ago. He recorded a clip of my Mad Professor cs40, doing an Eric Johnson song. He knows how to get the most from gear.

Wish I could find that clip…

Will give this amp a try at rehearsal this Thursday. It should cover some of the Blackberry Smoke, Allman Brothers, Whiskey Myers, Lynyrd Skynyrd songs we play.

Will give this amp a try at rehearsal this Thursday. It should cover some of the Blackberry Smoke, Allman Brothers, Whiskey Myers, Lynyrd Skynyrd songs we play.
I couldn’t think of a better application than those bands. Greg Germino plays in a southern rock band and that’s their territory. Blackberry Smoke uses his amps.

How can i get this to my FM3?

I don't know if FracTool can convert it to FM3 because I am using two amp blocks, to cover all the Wrecker amps. Only one is engaged at a time, though

All the details to construct the preset are described at the video. The only thing I've made is to add scenes with the other Wrecker Amps

I have divided the preset in two, with only one AMP block per preset, to facilitate the conversion to FM3 with FracTool
I hope it helps
Thank's heaps for your effort with this - one of my fav go to presets at present. So much goodness in there - the delays, reverbs and not forgetting that awesome PEQ.

Back
Top Bottom