'Wraparound' behavior

Radley

Experienced
Is there a particular reason why some parameter edit pages 'wrap around' but some don't? Also, is there a reason why when you get to the last edit page of a block it doesn't wrap around to the first & vice versa - seems like it could be a time saver?

~Rad~

+1!!!!

ESPECIALLY on the mixer! But I'd like to see this consistently throughout the interface.

Is this the same feature (navigation enhancement) you've requested (at least twice, I think) on the wish list section?

bigedawg said:
Is this the same feature (navigation enhancement) you've requested (at least twice, I think) on the wish list section?

I'm sorry folks, but I must be honest - sometimes this board feels as 'verklempt' as the L6 equivalent. Why is there such negativity towards ideas.....they are only ideas, and they are intended to be helpful! If they are not, well at least someone was *trying* to make things better. Every improvement starts with ideas (and sometimes 'unusual' ones). No one can force Cliff into doing anything he doesn't believe in, so why the negativity? Let the 'marketplace of ideas' flow & be what it is without restriction - the last thing we need on an artsy & creative board like this is an undercurrent of censorship or stifled creativity.

To answer the question: No, this is *not* the same concept as the *optional* Navigation Enhancement I've submitted/polled, and the reason for the updated (second) version was that I have since learned that two buttons cannot be used at once on the AFX, so *that* aspect of the idea was modified. FWIW, If any suggestion goes down in flames, that's the way it goes - but there really should be a more open-minded & positive attitude towards anyone who is making an honest effort to improve the AFX.

That would be a HUGE timesaver! The users that don't think so are probably the ones not tweaking/creating their own presets?

I too have noticed that some people get their "undies in a bunch" if someone suggests enhancements at times. It's almost like they feel you are implying that their sacred beast is deficient in some way? :roll:

It would be ignorant to think the Axe FX is absolutely perfect! Cliff knows it's not, that's why he dedicates so much time issuing firmware upgrades and additions but it must be said that his relentless pursuit of perfection is unparalleled! There can always be improvements but unless people bring their suggestions to the table then there will be no progress...

quonsar said:
+1!!!!

ESPECIALLY on the mixer! But I'd like to see this consistently throughout the interface.
Quonsar,

I must confess I am jealous - jealous of the fact that you live in beautiful Grand Rapids, one of the loveliest small American cities I've ever seen! Fortunately, we play concerts there every 2 or 3 years, and I always make it a point to get out of my hotel room and walk the city, especially along the river & across the bridges - it's rather unique among US cities these days, and I hope it will always stay that way - excellent restaurants as well! :shock: :cool: :shock:

~Rad~

It's the nature of man to resist ideas. Especially if that man didn't think it up himself. Expect it everywhere. Put out a lot of ideas and you will catch a lot of flak.
Mutual respect is another thing that doesn't come naturally. But I think this forum is pretty wellbehaved and discusses issues more than persons. That's a pretty good score, I think. Excuse my cynical view of humanity.

I would love to be able to jump to the end of the list on stuff like amp and cab selection. Put in an amp block and you have to scroll past 63 amps to get to the Corncob. A shift function would be great as well. OTOH, I'm not selecting amps that it would really save me much time.

Stopping hanging around this forum would save me much more time.

Radley said:
[there really should be a more open-minded & positive attitude towards anyone who is making an honest effort to improve the AFX.

Agree.

I've stopped submitting ideas because of this. There seems to be a bunch of people with the idea in their head that AFX can't be improved and any attempt is a direct attack on Cliff and his efforts and hard work.

danielodland said:
Radley said:
[there really should be a more open-minded & positive attitude towards anyone who is making an honest effort to improve the AFX.

Agree.

I've stopped submitting ideas because of this. There seems to be a bunch of people with the idea in their head that AFX can't be improved and any attempt is a direct attack on Cliff and his efforts and hard work.
Nor is any criticism of ideas per se a disrespect of the person putting the idea forward.

See my post above. Human nature.

If you submit ideas, prepare for them to be challenged. I've agreed with some, disagreed with others, changed my mind on some if the arguments were convincing. This is a forum. That's what you do on forae, you debate stuff. It's been that way from ye olde Greek times on the Acropolis. Don't take it personally, don't be annoyed. Presenting arguments to the contrary of ideas is also not per definition being closedminded. Accusing people of closedmindedness is an argumentum ad hominem and has nothing to do with any debate at hand. It's attacking people not their arguments and considered bad form. People may well be closedminded, but that is not an argument in any debate.

I see the point for some other ideas that Standard users run into problems when processor load is increased. It's very real. Especially if you have no use for the idea it would induce resistance.

BTW, I agree with the wraparound idea. And I don't think it would increase processor load. Then again, see my sig.

I am very happy to receive criticism to my ideas, that is, as you say, debating and the reason we are here. My problem is not with constructive criticism. I'm talking about getting flamed as a person because you had a suggestion for a somewhat specialized feature, or just generally an idea someone didnt like. But thats not even my main point, the real problem is that a lot of people take suggestions for improvements as an attack/insult on Cliff's behalf. When I say (by posting a suggestion for improvement) that the AFX could be even better if this and that was done, that's not saying the AFX is a bad product, or that Cliff isn't doing all he can to make the thing the best it can be.

Certainly. That would be argumentae ad hominem as well, wouldn't they?

Just an example.

Wouldn't it be great if this was a perfect world...

Or boring?

Moved to Wish List.

I'd like to see wraparound behavior implemented consistently across all menus, vertical as well as horizontal.

Radley said:
bigedawg said:

I'm sorry folks, but I must be honest - sometimes this board feels as 'verklempt' as the L6 equivalent. Why is there such negativity towards ideas.....they are only ideas, and they are intended to be helpful! If they are not, well at least someone was *trying* to make things better. Every improvement starts with ideas (and sometimes 'unusual' ones). No one can force Cliff into doing anything he doesn't believe in, so why the negativity? Let the 'marketplace of ideas' flow & be what it is without restriction - the last thing we need on an artsy & creative board like this is an undercurrent of censorship or stifled creativity.

To answer the question: No, this is *not* the same concept as the *optional* Navigation Enhancement I've submitted/polled, and the reason for the updated (second) version was that I have since learned that two buttons cannot be used at once on the AFX, so *that* aspect of the idea was modified. FWIW, If any suggestion goes down in flames, that's the way it goes - but there really should be a more open-minded & positive attitude towards anyone who is making an honest effort to improve the AFX.

1) If you perceived this question to be negative in any way, than that's my bad! I was simply trying to understand if this request is the same, similar to or an extension of your previous posts.

2) A little surprised your throwing the "censorship" card at me for asking this question.

3) Cool! I've read the posts several times and I didn't quite see (still don't, actually) the distinction between the suggestions.

4) Are you implying by me posting the question that I'm not "Open Minded" or I don't have "Positive Attitude" towards folks making efforts to improve the AFX? Or were these comments directed to the board community in general? If this is directed toward me, I'm unsure as to how you came to such a conclusion when I posted, what I thought was, a honest question in attempt to understand your original post and the distinctions from your previous posts.

5) For what it's worth, if an FX block has mutliple pages, I think having the ability to cycle thru the pages would be a time saver. Not a huge one for me, but it would save some time.

bigedawg said:
3) Cool! I've read the posts several times and I didn't quite see (still don't, actually) the distinction between the suggestions.
They are quite different. The first suggestion was for the wraparound behavior to automatically take you to the next page when you got to the end of the one before it and for simultaneous L/R keystrokes to be decoded in a particular way, replacing the Page buttons. That request was not well-received, and the simultaneous keystroke part is not even possible.

The second suggestion (the one in the OP) is just for wraparound behavior to be consistent across all menus. That won't take you to the next (or previous) page, it will instead jump to the beginning of a menu when you try to scroll past the end, and vice versa. Given that many of the Axe-Fx menus already function this way, IMO it would only make sense if they all did.

Sounds like a good idea to me and should take up hardly anything in the way of resources.

As far as the suggestion be put down. There are a lot of member that have a particular vision for the Axe-fx. These visions will inevitably come in conflict. The people that disagree have every right to express their opinion as the people that agree. For every feature that is added one may not get put in that the user wants. There is no free ride. So people have got more critical of improvements and the impact they may have. I've had quite a number of my ideas shot down. Nothing personal about them not liking the idea. Just because a number of users do not like it doesn't mean it won't be added.

bigedawg said:

Bigedawg,

I'm sorry if I took you wrong, but if you look at the above statement, it can easily be interpreted as being negative, no? Especially the 'at least twice' bit. This was not intended to be a feature request - I was simply asking if there was a specific reason for this behavior. I guess when I commented 'seems like it could be a time saver', it sounded like a request in retrospect, but I was just wanting to know the reason why this was the case, knowing it could be something I hadn't thought about (wouldn't be the first time!) :eek:

danielodland said:
I am very happy to receive criticism to my ideas, that is, as you say, debating and the reason we are here. My problem is not with constructive criticism. I'm talking about getting flamed as a person because you had a suggestion for a somewhat specialized feature, or just generally an idea someone didnt like. But thats not even my main point, the real problem is that a lot of people take suggestions for improvements as an attack/insult on Cliff's behalf. When I say (by posting a suggestion for improvement) that the AFX could be even better if this and that was done, that's not saying the AFX is a bad product, or that Cliff isn't doing all he can to make the thing the best it can be.
Well said, and it would be a shame if some people stop making suggestions altogether because of this. I personally have learned a lot from the responses to some of my (and other's) suggestions, and plan to keep on learning.

Fractal family is growing exponentially. There will be more and more rejections as time goes by which also means more and more good ideas will be implemented. Please don't stop coming up with ideas because of someone else and don't get bent if it's rejected. We always have a choice of firmware revisions we want to use and the best ideas are yet to be discovered.

Sometimes being persistently annoying, and having a strongly voiced opinion about something gets results...I remember when Joe was "shocked" when he discovered that each Axe-Fx unit had different tuning offsets...couldn't believe it was not a "fixable" thing.....if I remember correctly, in general he received an initially "lukewarm" reaction to his first post...even Cliff chimed in with something like "it is what is is...that's why there are offsets"...but the thread wouldn't die...Joe (and others) kept up a steady chorus (pardon the pun). And when it finally came out that different strings were off by differing amounts...well, the rest is history...new tuner is "dead on". So, if you believe in the "rightness" of your cause, and are persistent enough, you can make a difference...

We are all like the grain of sand in the oyster...an irritant maybe, but eventually, as a result of the irritation, a beautiful pearl is produced...now...snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom