wrap around your nuts!

I've seen it more on basses but not so much on guitars. It's done to keep open strings from ringing. (at least on basses)

It's to dampen sympathetic frequencies above the nut that can become audible in recording. Also, if there is a tricky section in a song you can roll it past the nut and it will dampen the open strings. A common use is for tapping bits etc.

Not everyone is proficient at damping open strings while taking wild solos. These scrunchies are useful in damping unwanted harmonies that may, or may not, be out of key, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's 2 ways they're used, and they're both mentioned above.

If it's past the nut, toward the headstock, they're used to dampen sympathetic ringing on the length of string past the nut.

If it's over the fretboard, they're used to dampen unused, open strings.

I use mainly when sweep picking and as already mentioned it helps dampen unwanted noise etc.

Makes my sweeps sound like a sweep and less of a ham sandwich. Sean is bang on, in his description. There are some very good dedicated solutions to inhibit sympathetic string noise. I also use foam in my trem cavity, but I've seen people insert small hosing into the springs too.

Last edited:
Makes my sweeps sound like a sweep and less of a ham sandwich. Sean is band on, in his description. There are some very good dedicated solutions to inhibit sympathetic string noise. I also use foam in my term cavity, but I've seen people insert small hosing into the springs too.

I use toilet paper behind my trem springs. I used to use foam but ran into an issue with the foam actually getting caught in the spring and making the trem not return to pitch. Have to be careful with that haha

I use toilet paper behind my trem springs. I used to use foam but ran into an issue with the foam actually getting caught in the spring and making the trem not return to pitch. Have to be careful with that haha

I use surgical tubing inside the springs, does a great job, and you cant see it ;)

I read somewhere that rolling up expandable foam ear plugs then placing them inside the springs will work.

Reactions: ang
People have been doin this as long as there has been shredding. I remember in the 80s they were marketing something that attached to your headstock and clamped down right in front of the but almost like a capo to deaden your strings.

I picked up some of the gruv gear wraps at the last axe-fest. They're ok but not really effective until you prep the rest of the guitar as mentioned above (behind the bridge or trem cavity, back of balls/nut). For instance it's quite useless by itself on the Clapton Strat. Turns out the blocked trem causes EVEN MORE resonating of the trem springs. It's like making armpit fart noises in Howe Cavern.

Back
Top Bottom