Wowza! Carol Ann Tucana (lead)...geez it don't get much betta

Mateo11

Inspired
So I stumbled upon the Tucana lead model today. This amp is AMAZING. I am using a Tom Anderson Angel with a fairly hot humbucker in the bridge and this thing sounds insane. I cant quit playing early Def Lep riffs :)

Matched it up with the F157: 4x12 Mars G12T Room Mix (TAF) cab. Set the cab at Low Cut 50 Hz High Cut 6k Prox on and at 3. Set the amp at Input: 3.5 OD: 3.50 B:8.5 M:4 T:6 Pres: 5.50 and Master at 3.75. The only adv parameter I used was a little Dynamic Depth at 2.

If you haven't checked this model out as your attorney I advise you do.

For high gain? Like as a contender against the Engl Savage model?

So far I've tried MkIIC++, uberschall, das metal, 6505+, fas modern, jcm800 and a few others and none of them have really been able to sway me away from the Engl. The mk2c++ came close and I'm still bouncing back and forth with that one, but overall I just can't seem to find any high-gain model that really stands up against the engl (angle severe 2, specifically) for "my" tone. I guess it could be partially because I'm running through a PA & cabs rather than frfr though?

Yeah I'm trying it out now, granted at super low volume because my kid is asleep...but I'm just not hearing it. Seems like it could get some pretty awesome tones, but more of an 80's hair thing or a nice smooth saturated lead tone. I'll put some more time into it next time I get a chance to have decent volume.

Yeah I'm trying it out now, granted at super low volume because my kid is asleep...but I'm just not hearing it. Seems like it could get some pretty awesome tones, but more of an 80's hair thing or a nice smooth saturated lead tone. I'll put some more time into it next time I get a chance to have decent volume.

I definitely wasn't using it as a high gainer at all. Not even close. I only have the drive and Overdrive on 3.5 and Master at 3.75. It sounded perfetct to me playing Zep riffs like Heartbreaker and High and Dry by Def Leppard. Just a really great crunch tone with amazing articulation. It NEEDS volume though IMO because everything sounds better louder :) I did have it cranking.

Not sure yet if Tucana does high gain well or not because once I dialed it in the way above I just played for a couple hours. I'll dive deeper into it though I'm sure later on.

For high gain I generally go to the Diezel Blue or HBE (the ENGL is awesome too)

It may not be your flavor especially if your looking for something similar to an ENGL but I am willing to bet you get it dialed in right and crank up the volume your opinion may change. :)

The Tucana is my mid-gain amp. I'm a metal player and I only (re)discovered it with firmware Q9. I'm not sure why I didn't like it earlier, but it's really perfect for me. I wouldn't use it for high-gain though!

I definitely wasn't using it as a high gainer at all. Not even close. I only have the drive and Overdrive on 3.5 and Master at 3.75. It sounded perfetct to me playing Zep riffs like Heartbreaker and High and Dry by Def Leppard. Just a really great crunch tone with amazing articulation. It NEEDS volume though IMO because everything sounds better louder :) I did have it cranking.

Not sure yet if Tucana does high gain well or not because once I dialed it in the way above I just played for a couple hours. I'll dive deeper into it though I'm sure later on.

For high gain I generally go to the Diezel Blue or HBE (the ENGL is awesome too)

It may not be your flavor especially if your looking for something similar to an ENGL but I am willing to bet you get it dialed in right and crank up the volume your opinion may change. :)

The Tucana is my mid-gain amp. I'm a metal player and I only (re)discovered it with firmware Q9. I'm not sure why I didn't like it earlier, but it's really perfect for me. I wouldn't use it for high-gain though!

Yea this I could definitely see based on the short and underpowered run I gave it. Definitely going to look further into it. For now I just bypass the amp block and use a pair of FAS Boosts to achieve clean/crunch/mid-gain tones, but I'm obviously going to need something different than that when it comes time to record.

The Tucana is my all-in-one amp of choice for Marshall tones. The amp controls respond better than most real Marshalls and it has a wide range of usable tones.

It feels to me like Input Drive is a Plexi voicing while Overdrive is a modern and fatter voicing - you can blend them together! For a Plexi tone set Input Drive high (6-10) and Overdrive low (1-3). For a Silver Jubilee tone set Input Drive medium (4-5) and Overdrive higher (6-7).

Here is my Tucana preset for Firmware 8:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wh10-tucana-preset-with-demo-video.130902/

My video shows that you can cover a lot of ground with this amp!

I have since updated it with for Firmware 9 and put a more aggressive Plexi setting in Amp X (still cleans up really nicely with the guitar volume).

Back
Top Bottom