Wow

At least on the surface, IMHO, this is a seismic shift in the MI marketplace. Line 6 was not a minor player. Line 6 IP ownership is key now too. Yamaha owns it now.

It says that they'll be a completely separate subsidiary in the press release; we'll see how long that lasts. Give them a year and the landscape overall will be *very* interesting from a marketing/product line-up. INTERESTING.

It's a done deal btw. L6 will be a subsidiary, but I think they will phase out the name over the next year or less.

My Yamaha rep at the time had a bunch of questions about my Ultra when he came to the store. I just told him "it sounds really good." Hah!

That'd be awesome! And they could do the same thing for their motorcycles. Just turn a switch, and your Yamaha bike will sound and feel like a Harley. Or a Goldwing. Or a street bike, a motocross bike, etc.

That's interesting but I'm wondering how it will really play out. Yamaha is a massive holding entity with fingers in a crazy number of diverse pies -- they make everything from guitar amps on up through super-sized cranes for offloading tanker ships.

They may try to fold Line6 in to their existing brand or maybe leave them alone and let them run as a separate entity but perhaps with more money behind them now.

Curious to see how it goes, that's for sure.

FWIW: I've always thought Yamaha gear had great, minimalist UI. Especially their stereos.

Uh oh ... I wonder if their version will have wifi/bluetooth/4G-LTE ... shhhhhhhh, they're listening to us ...

I reckon they are probably going to tie it in closely with Cubase (Yamaha owns Steinberg). They have pretty decent digital mixers and studio monitors, and their synths are respectable even if the tech is getting a bit long in the tooth to compete with Korg. I think they atre going for "total studio solution".

It's a done deal btw. L6 will be a subsidiary, but I think they will phase out the name over the next year or less.

My Yamaha rep at the time had a bunch of questions about my Ultra when he came to the store. I just told him "it sounds really good." Hah!

Mmh....I guess more of what MusicGroup did with Midas and KlarkTeknik as their new owner. You can buy a cheap computer audio interface for 89$ labeled with "Midas MicPreamp" inside. If this refers to the famous XL-Console MicPres, we don't know...but there is a Midas Sign on the front of a 89$ Behringer product.

Awaiting a Yamaha guitar product with "powered by Line6 DSP dev" written somewhere......

Maybe Yamaha is buying up FAS competition and then will make Cliff a huge offer and corner the entire modeling market.

Hope not, but everyone has their price.

I wonder if Yamaha will ever learn what a 'firmware update' is? I had a GT-8, a GT-Pro and a GT-10. Not a single firmware update on any that I know of.

(In best Japanese accent: You want update? You buy new product!)

But, I have one Yamaha product that I'm very attached to:

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 28
I wonder if Yamaha will ever learn what a 'firmware update' is? I had a GT-8, a GT-Pro and a GT-10. Not a single firmware update on any that I know of.

In discussing updates with their user base, L6 and Yamaha should see eye to eye then.;)

What they both could learn from reading here...

Possibly, that would be better directed at Roland, but I'm assuming that everyone would realise that! ;) :D

I like Yamaha acoustics. I also had an electric for a while in the late 1990s and it was another good guitar. Their AN1X synth was also pretty badass, although the Roland JP8000 eclipsed it in the looks stakes when it came out. I'm hoping that they go down the road of using a more symbiotic form of guitar based modelling. They have huge knowhow when it comes to electronics audio generation and manipulation. Couple that with Line 6's modelling expertise (not limiting myself to guitar based products) and we could see some really cool innovations happening in the audio world.

I think (and hope, for customer service sake) that the guitar based modelling crown will stay firmly put on Cliff Chase's head though.

Just my tuppence.

Yamaha's THR line of modeling amps vastly exceeds POD in terms of modeling quality. I hope they don't adopt POD algorithms instead of their current ones.

Yamaha is one of those companies that makes both affordable/cheap gear and some high end gear as well. I don't necessarily want to see an AxeFx competitor (although competition isn't necessarily a bad thing) but it would be nice if they raised the bar a bit and made the pod users realize there's better stuff out there.

Back
Top Bottom