Wow used a Strat last night on my gig for the first tme BUT...preset question

jazzgtrl4

Experienced
Im mainly a humbucker guy but built a preset for my Strat finally and used it last night..The tone was killer and had the two other guys in the band commenting on my tone. Problem is the preset is really CPU heavy and i still need to add a few effects. Im running two amps. the ODS-100 clean & the Band Master. How can i drop the cpu in this patch? or is it even setup right? all i know was it sounded killer though my two CLR's. heres the pic attached. thanks

BiF8jZD.jpg

The answer here lies in how you use those cab blocks. You can put up an image of the cab block and tell a bit how you use the preset and why you think you need 2 amps and 2 cabs

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

Upload the preset if you can. I'm a little confused about the effect block order in the grid layout? There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way but that is IMHO not a 'traditional' or optimal layout.........:encouragement: But may be exactly as intended.

Probably lots of ways to reduce CPU without sacrificing audio quality much or at all? Really need the preset to know for sure.

Note........... In my own presets, testing has shown that the cab blocks seem to be more CPU hungry in FW Q1.00 than in older firmware versions?

Last edited:
OK here it is, yes the cabs are set to Hi res. Thats where my cpu is going.. Dont know maybe i dont need both amps and cabs. Was just trying to emulate Steve Kimocks rig to a degree.. Im not very good at laying stuff out on the grid to optimize it,so any help is appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• Kimock.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
Low or Hi res reverb? (reverb is not the last block? interesting!)

Also, I think the rotary can eat up quite a bit, but can't get rid of that if you need it.

Would need to see the preset.

I think the ultra res cabs actually take slightly less CPU.

Cool, thanks for the preset. I'll look it over.

Yeah, to UR cab blocks and high quality reverb. That's eating up some CPU.

Didn't check advanced amp or cab block parameters. For instance, the comp in the amp block can use up quite a bit.

I've just downloaded the patch and without touching anything it shows to me Normal Res cabs and just eats 86/87% CPU.

1....Are you using scenes at all?
2....Amp 2 is not routed through any effects (dry) and hard panned right.........intentional?
3....Reverb before the other effects....................intentional?

More questions after I can look at the preset tonight, if it is not an XL preset?

The Drive block is CPU heavy (8% CPU on my AxeFX) - some users use a filter or PEQ block to boost the level to drive the amp blocks input harder instead ( I've never used a drive pedal of any sort in all my playing years - so I prefer to use the amp blocks input and/or MV levels for additional gain - switching Scenes to get the hotter settings)

Reverb - for live use don't use 'High' quality - it eats CPU and there's no audible difference FOH once everyone's playing - 'Normal' quality is fine - also experiment with Reverb type - some types use a lot more CPU than others - a small or medium spring type could do in a live setting just as good as a Large Plate etc.

You could also try using a different Cab setup - use one stereo cab? Switching to a Stereo Cab doesn't save all that much CPU admittedly, but if you're using Ultra Res cab IRs they do tend to use a lot more CPU than the standard res ones - and for live use I've found that Standard ones (IE ones created as Standard - not Ultra Res ones forced into Standard in the Cab lock settings) can do just fine with little or no difference in perceived quality once the band is playing. If you have the IR version or wav files of your fav Ultra Res cabs you can import them into Cab-Lab and output a Standard res version for live use.

In short - for live playing you don't need anywhere as much preset finesse as you'd use for recording. All those subtleties are lost in other instruments backline bleed, room reflections, quality of PA etc etc.

[Edit] .... oops - seems others have posted while I was writing this (and got timed out too) ... so repeating some info here ... but what the hell

1....Are you using scenes at all?
2....Amp 2 is not routed through any effects (dry) and hard panned right.........intentional?
3....Reverb before the other effects....................intentional?

More questions after I can look at the preset tonight, if it is not an XL preset?

HI thanks for replies. Yes using scenes. Ya i moved the reverb to the end, not intentional that i had it where it was. Yes amp2 should probably be going through effects but just had it hard panned right to simulate to rigs.

I've just downloaded the patch and without touching anything it shows to me Normal Res cabs and just eats 86/87% CPU.

Ya sorry i switched it and then exported the patch, they had hi res on

before i posted this i should have looked at the reverb, i actually always use normal quality when live.

So what would i do to this preset as far as far as laying it out on the grid so i can use two amps, BUT use effectsthrough both? thanks for the help

Last edited:
Ok........Moved some things, leveled some things, changed some bypass states for delay and reverb scene spill-over, 1 stereo cab block, both amps going through effects, both amps still hard panned but you can switch the cab block to 'Y' to make them panned center (mono).......the effects stay in stereo either way.

You might need to set up the scenes to be the way you want?

Attachments

• Kimock 2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Should work as is. Try to suppress and reinstall the cabblocks, maybe uncheck cabmic preamp if you're using that.

Ok........Moved some things, leveled some things, changed some bypass states for delay and reverb scene spill-over, 1 stereo cab block, both amps going through effects, both amps still hard panned but you can switch the cab block to 'Y' to make them panned center (mono).......the effects stay in stereo either way.

:encouragement:

awesome, thanks Moke. just loaded it up, but cant play right now, looks a hell of alot better than what i had going on. ! thanks everyone for the replies

Back
Top Bottom