Wow, tone matching acoustic!

Chad Beattie

Experienced
My ears are having a hard time believing what is going on. I have never tried tone matching before but needed to work on an acoustic guitar patch and thought I would give it a shot. Now, the DI from my Taylor sounds pretty good on it's own (or so I thought). But what could it hurt to try this voodoo. I miced up the guitar, did the match, and then thought, wait, mic must still be on... no, wait, it's using the match now. Wait, what??? ok, tap on the mic a few times as this can't be right. Nothing coming from the mic... Still something must be wrong... export the match and start over with a new preset. Ok, DI sounds really crappy now compared to what I was hearing... load the IR Player block, with the IR I just made... and it's the miced up sound again in all it's glory. wth??? This is nuts!!!

Thank you Fractal!

Sound clips please or it never happened. Lol! Just kidding, glad you are enjoying your beast. Yeah I think quite a few are either intimidated or not interested in tone matching. Every tone I have that I use in my AxeII, XL+ and AX8 are from tone matches saved as cab blocks. There are some really great stock presets from Fractal in all their gear, but most of them are not for me. My main clean sound is a TM of my acoustic guitar. Tone matching is what sold me on Fractal to begin with. It's definitely an option that makes their gear worth their weight in gold. Congrats!

My ears are having a hard time believing what is going on. I have never tried tone matching before but needed to work on an acoustic guitar patch and thought I would give it a shot. Now, the DI from my Taylor sounds pretty good on it's own (or so I thought). But what could it hurt to try this voodoo. I miced up the guitar, did the match, and then thought, wait, mic must still be on... no, wait, it's using the match now. Wait, what??? ok, tap on the mic a few times as this can't be right. Nothing coming from the mic... Still something must be wrong... export the match and start over with a new preset. Ok, DI sounds really crappy now compared to what I was hearing... load the IR Player block, with the IR I just made... and it's the miced up sound again in all it's glory. wth??? This is nuts!!!

Thank you Fractal!

Which Taylor model do you have? Does it have the Expression System 1 or 2?

I have 414ce with the 9 volt version of the Expression System 1. Sounds great unplugged, not so good plugged in. Sounds like a magnetic electric guitar pickup. I’d love to make it sound more natural, especially in the higher frets.

Ya lets hear it!

but first...Are you using an electric to sound like your acoustic through the Axe or..?

Any chance you would share the preset or tone match or a cab IR of your tone match? I also have a Taylor and am toying with tone matching and trying to create a nice preset like this.

Ya lets hear it!

but first...Are you using an electric to sound like your acoustic through the Axe or..?

From the post it sounds like he is tone matching the piezo pickup output from his acoustic Taylor to the mic'ed sound of his Taylor.

Sorry, been out all evening. Taylor 314 using the built in pickup for the DI into Axe-Fx front input. Then used a Rode NT5 for the mic going into a VTB1. VTB1 to the Axe Fx input 2 for the reference signal. Will try to get something posted this weekend. I'm going to try this again tomorrow helping setup a seperate acoustic guitar/patch for someone else. So hopefully I will have a few examples to post. I'm playing this weekend too, so maybe later Sunday evening when I get around to it.

I use the Zoom AC-3 at the church where I work. That is excellent. I'm currently using a Taylor 814CE DLX, but trying to switch to a Kiesel Zeus acoustic (portability, simplicity, less of a liability). Problem is, the electronics arrived producing distortion (after extensive troubleshooting).

Thank you Fractal!

YES!!!!! Another guitarist sees the light! I thank you sir and hope together we can spare audiences world wide from every having to hear another awful acoustic pickup in a live show.

Now that you have discovered this trick with your acoustic, please take note that the FX-III has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. If you have other band members that use acoustic instruments with pickups you can process their signal at the same time as yours (or even play electric while they play acoustic). I've used this in one of my projects to process an acoustic guitar and a upright bass while I play electric and we get tons of complements on the sound.

Mandolin, banjo, violin, cello, hurdy gurdy, dulcimer, or any stringed instrument with a pickup can benefit greatly from the FX-III tone match.

Hi, My name is Stan(new user), I'm an alcoholic and like long walks to the fridge.
Great idea for acoustic. I have a great sounding Yamaha to try this with.

Please share this preset? IR? I have a taylor and have been struggling to get a good sound (better than direct that is). Thanks!

No difference, you just need a mic and a mic preamp. Mic the guitar like you would for recording and feed that to Axe input2, use the piezo output of the guitar into input1 as normal and tone match those two.

Back
Top Bottom