wow...(pat martino content)

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
being only a cursory fan of jazz, i have only one album by pat martino (el hombre) and have only listened to it a couple of times.
but recently i chanced upon the following two videos which had me downloading them into my iphone and watching them over and over again.
all i can say is i will soon be collecting this gentleman's past catalog!

a search of the 3x4 fretboard approach he mentioned in the second video led me to an old article from the april 2004 issue of guitar player magazine, here:
http://truefire.com/blog/guitar-lessons/pat-martino-guitar-lesson-sacred-geometry/
i have never seen this approach before, given that I have always looked at chord formulas as variants off the major chord...this is certainly an interesting angle!
as always, apologies if this has been shared before...

Pat Martino is a very unique player. His approach to fretboard logic is very inspirational, but I find it tough to grasp the implications of his approach. People like Pat prove beyond any doubt how amazing the guitar really is. Even with 10 lifetimes I could never master it.

He is even more amazing when you consider he had a stroke some years back and afterwards had to completely relearn to play.
Awesome.

being only a cursory fan of jazz, i have only one album by pat martino (el hombre) and have only listened to it a couple of times.
but recently i chanced upon the following two videos which had me downloading them into my iphone and watching them over and over again.
all i can say is i will soon be collecting this gentleman's past catalog!

a search of the 3x4 fretboard approach he mentioned in the second video led me to an old article from the april 2004 issue of guitar player magazine, here:
http://truefire.com/blog/guitar-lessons/pat-martino-guitar-lesson-sacred-geometry/
i have never seen this approach before, given that I have always looked at chord formulas as variants off the major chord...this is certainly an interesting angle!
as always, apologies if this has been shared before...

This is awesome and profound...

I had the privilege of participating in a one day workshop with less than a dozen other students led by Pat Martino way back in the late 70s. I was a 15 - 16 year old long hair stoner rocker with aspirations to actually learn how to play my instrument. Most all of what he taught was way over my head. One of the concepts that has stayed with me is the 12 tone chromatic perspective that he used when improvising. He said that you are never more than a half step away from a note that works within the context of a key or chord. I have used this concept much to expand my ear. He was a really nice person, very patient, and with an truly amazing grasp of the guitar. This was a highlight of my early experience playing the guitar.

These vids and their content....very interesting. Wants to make me invest in the 84 truefire Martino lessons. His approach seems so non-linear, but also attractive for seeming simplicity. So many ways to connect the dots on this six-string soul-sucking demon.
Back to Practice

Back
Top Bottom