Wow! Never seen so much Whining and Crying. Lets get a grip on this!

Slate

If I sound harsh I apologize but after reading all of the whining and crying, my Ultra is obsolete, how dare Cliff not let us know, whine, whine…

First off nothing is obsolete, the Axe II is improved with some neat features, but people make it sound like its game over for the Standard and Ultra.
So they are basically saying their current rig sounds like crap and the Axe II is where it’s at. Don’t get me wrong the Axe II has some nice features and it it’s the next logical step in evolution like in all products, but we need to get away from this corporate lemming society the iPhone and Technology industry has turned everyone into. Everyone believes they need the latest and greatest and its proof by all the idiots standing in line at the Apple store for iPad 2. Cell phone companies bake the price in your 2 year prison sentence contract so it’s easy to buy the new iPhone for cheap. I doubt anyone buys it out right.

Once you pull away from this brain washed mentality you can enjoy the Axe I and Axe II.

I played a gig last Saturday with my Ultra and it was total tonal bliss. Sounded awesome. Will I get the Axe II. Yes because I’m not really strapped for cash. But I can guarantee after all the newness wears off, like it always does, I will ponder the expense and wonder if I could have lived with the Ultra.

My point is enjoy the Axe I. It’s an awesome unit and sounds great. When you’re ready and have used the Axe I for a while then you can ponder moving up to check out the Axe II. But for those of you that just got the Axe I, enjoy it and look into the Axe II later this year. Get some value out of it. And some won’t even consider the Axe II if there content with the Axe I.

I am 100% for the Axe II but let’s keep this in perspective.

Everything changes. One day there may be an Axe III. I am sure the original and the II will still be fine units.

your post is irrelevant. I bought an Ultra used for roughly new price about 10 days ago. It is now worth $300-400 less. I would be happy saving $400 today OR having the chance to add $200 to my purchase price and get the new model. Either way I've lost BIG time due to what I think is selfish and business practices...so I'll complain. Thanks.

I think both sides of this battle should stop. And I probably have more right to be pissed than most.

I bought 5 days ago (haven't even gotten my ultra) and since I bought B-stock, I get no option to return the unit that will be here in 3 days. Still no response from FAS on a possible exception, but that is beside my point.

I haven't whined about it. I am actually still stoked to be getting any axe fx!

For someone to come on here who has obviously had an axe fx for quite some time and say that they are gonna get the II because they have spare cash is just plain insulting.

Can't everyone just shut up about it? :p

For someone to come on here who has obviously had an axe fx for quite some time and say that they are gonna get the II because they have spare cash is just plain insulting.

Can't everyone just shut up about it? :p

I actually bought a Standard a month ago as a second unit. My post was only to encourage people to enjoy the Axe and not always think about whats bigger and better.

Nothing insulting about my post, just the way you are reading between the lines and not seeing what I am trying to say. My post was good for both sides of the Axe II fence.

Man, some sensitive people on this board.

your post is irrelevant. I bought an Ultra used for roughly new price about 10 days ago. It is now worth $300-400 less. I would be happy saving $400 today OR having the chance to add $200 to my purchase price and get the new model. Either way I've lost BIG time due to what I think is selfish and business practices...so I'll complain. Thanks.
You should take advantage of the 15 day return policy. Quick! :)

whining isn't going to do anything but irritate a lot of people.

And acting like an ass saying that people should simply not be dissapointed and shut up is going to irratate a lot MORE people!

There are TWO sides to this story and BOTH should be heard.

Simply saying "don't be dissapointed" is stupid and arrogant!

People also have a right to complain if they got an ultra a few days or weeks before the announcement when they did not expect anything coming.

Let's also not forget that it was officially posted about nothing new being "on the horizon", yet here we are with a NEW axe fx II?

I still love my ultra but totally understand the frustration that others have with this announcement and how it was handled.

Let's remember that there ARE two sides to this story! And fanboying the issue is not going to help!

I think it was Cliff as I remember posted it, but I cannot remember what post he said it on. Someone was asking if there was something new coming out and was told there was nothing new on the horizon or something to that effect.

Last edited:
There was already one post that was rebuked and taken out of context. Its possible there was another. It would be interesting to see the actual post.

Well I do not know exactly where it is. But if it makes you feel better to act like I am lying or thinking I am taking something out of context, go right ahead.

This much I know, there was NO warning given to people who bought the axe fx up until the announcement was made. A countdown yes, but it being about the axe fx II? No.

My point was and still is that some people have felt let down by the way it was handled and some people saying they should just shut their mouths regardless if they SPENT their money just days or weeks before the announcement sticks in MY craw!

So there you have it.

Last edited:
I suggest they should have at least told anyone within 15 days of the announcement to hold off, as it simply created a silly conundrum where they knew they would get returns, I was on day 14, and yes I feel like I won a little lottery, but I got to pay 38 dollars x 3 (3rd when new one ships) for this "benefit", thats 120 bucks when a simple wait 2 weeks would have been nice. Come to think of it, they just should have been "out" 15 days before the announcement, there no secret lost no harm no foul, I dont want to know how sick and angry I would have been otherwise. and there should definitely be a trade in, credit policy, as there is apparently with protools and Macintosh stuff.

This would have been nice-no orders accepted within 15 days of announcment

I suggest they should have at least told anyone within 15 days of the announcement to hold off, as it simply created a silly conundrum where they knew they would get returns, I was on day 14, and yes I feel like I won a little lottery, but I got to pay 38 dollars x 3 (3rd when new one ships) for this "benefit", thats 120 bucks when a simple wait 2 weeks would have been nice. Come to think of it, they just should have been "out" 15 days before the announcement, there no secret lost no harm no foul, I dont want to know how sick and angry I would have been otherwise. and there should definitely be a trade in, credit policy, as there is apparently with protools and Macintosh stuff.

I don't get the whole "[rage]my axe fx standard/ultra is obsolete now!!! grrr[/rage]

My thought process is, if it has served you well for how long now? and still sounds just as good as it did before the announcement. why get angry about it?
:shrug:

I agree that there should have been some warning and I understand the frustration of others that bought recently.

HOWEVER, I will say that someone threatening to SUE Cliff is going way overboard!

Sue him for WHAT??? Because he made a better product?? Because he did not announce it prior? I think THAT is insanity and any lawyer would tell that person if he is an honest lawyer, that he does not have a case. Period.

Being dissapointed is one thing threatening legal action when you do not have a cause is another action entirely!

As I stated in another thread, I am going to keep mine for about a year until I get my income tax check next year and by then will have a clear understanding of what the axe fx II can and cannot do.

And as Frank Zappa said "Shut up and play your guitar"! Good advice for any guitarist.

Yeah, dude that's threatening to sue Fractal can piss off, that's just total crap.

So, here's what is now maybe an obvious answer to the whole situation, with the benefit of hindsight.

"we're working on some awesome new stuff for what will be a totally new AxeFx. There are some improvements on what is possible in the Ultra and also some all new stuff. As far as when it'll be out, we will say this-- somewhere between one day and one year from now. If you want more detailed timing info or updates, tough! This is as much of the secret as we're going to divulge."

That's the angle right there. Say that 6 months ago, or three months ago. It doesn't ruin their sales, there were people going insane from waiting a month or two, you really think those guys would wait a whole year? There would still be a glut of people who MUST HAVE IT NOW, so boxes would keep moving out the door. for the nominally rich buyer (which seems to be most of the vocal posters on this forum!) they'd buy an Ultra and if the new box came out a month later buy that too. For the people who had to sell their children to afford an AxeFx, they could wait it out if they wanted to or they could buy whatever was available at the time. For me personally, I would've waited for sure, just in case anyone was wondering.

So Instead of the way they did it this time by launching a sneak attack with a 10 day quasi-warning (which went sour for all the recent purchasers) or the way they had done it previously, promising a specific date and then feeling locked into that (which from what I've heard went sour) why not play the middle ground of giving out enough information so people knew vaguely what was coming (improved new hardware and functionality), without giving out all the specific details, and give a huge date range that would not be further discussed? I'm wondering how that could go wrong.

Before you tell me that Fractal is their own business and they can make their own business decisions, let me stop you and tell you that all of us already know that so don't waste the keystrokes typing something that goes without saying. I'm not saying "Fractal this is how you must conduct your business!", I'm offering up what seems to be a pretty good angle to consider for next time, nothing more nothing less. I'm assuming they've already thought of this on their own, but just in case, there ya go.

Is threating to sue going overboard? In most cases i would agree, but if people have been told very recently by email asking if there was anything coming out to replace current product and being told no then maybe they do have a case.

For the record i'm not one of them just saying there maybe a case for some people.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom