WOW! Is it just me or have prices sky rocketed on gear?

In music-related inflation news....I think I found my dream guitar - a PRS Custom 24 from 2003 with a top that's to die for and the exact neck and pickups I want. But dude wants 4300 for it, not including shipping to USA. That's more than they cost brand new. Everyone is tripping over themselves to use inflation as an excuse for highway robbery.

In music-related inflation news....I think I found my dream guitar - a PRS Custom 24 from 2003 with a top that's to die for and the exact neck and pickups I want. But dude wants 4300 for it, not including shipping to USA. That's more than they cost brand new. Everyone is tripping over themselves to use inflation as an excuse for highway robbery.
Yes, used gear has skyrocketed lately too. A few years ago I bought an Ibanez RG570 for $275 (which was a steal). Now you can't find a decent one for less than $800. I had thought about getting a US model Jackson this year, but they are completely out of touch with reality these days, and I wouldn't be surprised if their US factory just goes under at some point in the near future again. They are asking $4500 for a plain black or white US model, and there just isn't anything about one of those things that would ever make it that valuable. I could buy a PRS Custom 24 with a Floyd and a solid 3/4 in. maple top that would crap all over one of those Jacksons in every respect and would actually cost me $300 less. In the end I just decided to stick with my Charvel Model 6 and buy myself a nice Schecter, which turned out much better than expected.

And so another intelligent discussion ends ... here comes the lock...
I can see your point. I added these two recent news to show that the inflation that this thread is about is not over, and it will worsen in this kind of setting. I should have added to the post and not just pasted them there without context.

They dont seem to have any problems making beer.
If we raise the interest rates, the prices of everything will lower? Not sure how that works

Marshall 1x12 cabinets are going for one THOUSAND on Sweetwater.

Yes you read that right, ONE BY TWELVE. FOR ONE THOUSAND.

Does it have a super expensive speaker like an alnico celestion cream... Nope... They have celestion V-types lol. I actually like the speakers but still they are on the lower end of pricing AFAIK. Insane.

I think the only sensible approach regarding inflated costs on used goods - or even new gear, is to vote with your wallet and not indulge it.
If people stopped buying gear at grossly inflated costs, sellers will be forced to become a bit more realistic, or stop selling goods from certain
manufacturers.

Maybe we should all just stick it out for a while and wait for some sensible prices again

I think the only sensible approach regarding inflated costs on used goods - or even new gear, is to vote with your wallet and not indulge it.
If people stopped buying gear at grossly inflated costs, sellers will be forced to become a bit more realistic, or stop selling goods from certain
manufacturers.

Maybe we should all just stick it out for a while and wait for some sensible prices again
Prices aren't going back down. The Fed printed trillions of dollars and flooded the system with them. Unless the Fed starts destroying dollars prices will continue to increase.

Marshall 1x12 cabinets are going for one THOUSAND on Sweetwater.

Yes you read that right, ONE BY TWELVE. FOR ONE THOUSAND.

Does it have a super expensive speaker like an alnico celestion cream... Nope... They have celestion V-types lol. I actually like the speakers but still they are on the lower end of pricing AFAIK. Insane.
You can barely sell a used Marshall 4x12 for £100 over here!

It is so rare for prices to go down across the board for goods and services that you should suspicious of anyone saying “all this” is temporary. Even if an industry’s/company’s cost of doing business goes down why would they lower their profit margins ever?? (Especially if they have a board of shareholders to report to) The only thing temporary here is the “outrage” because as usual people will adjust accordingly and just buy/bite the bullet. The class warfare just gets greater and greater across all levels except the very top.

Just crazy pricing for Marshall cabs. They literally cost more to buy in the US then in Canada. $1000 for any 1x12 cab is ridiculous.

Prices aren't going back down. The Fed printed trillions of dollars and flooded the system with them. Unless the Fed starts destroying dollars prices will continue to increase.
Inflation will start to come back down. People selling used goods for ridiculous prices can only benefit from that if others are silly enough to pay their price. Supply shortage is one thing, not selling any hardware because you're too expensive is another. It's all relative to what someone is willing to pay at the end of the day.

Some of what is written here is in financial lingo beyond anything I understand, which is part of why I've never had much money. 🤦‍♂️ I'm looking at buying a house for the first time in my life (at the age of 43), and following the trends in housing is demoralizing. I don't know how housing usually correlates to general inflation, but it seems to have been a harbinger this time around.

ernie ball majesties went up in prices too...
They've actually gone up $200 twice in about the past year and a half (the "mid-line" models like Enchanted Forest.)

You can make this work to your advantage somewhat, in that not all retailers raise their prices at the same time. Iow, you can still find new models at the older prices, if you look around. Plus, if you only care about the guitar, and not the bling, there's a few models out there (Majesties) that apparently aren't in big demand (some of the less-popular colors have been sitting for some time- Make an offer.)

And remember, just because a retailer has a new model listed at the MSRP, doesn't mean they won't take several hundred dollars less. I did this on both my last 2 guitars, saving between 15 and 20%. All I did was call them direct, and let them know I wasn't just "kicking tires," but that I was ready to buy, and wanted to find the best deal. Everything except death is negotiable, even taxes.

Some of what is written here is in financial lingo beyond anything I understand, which is part of why I've never had much money. 🤦‍♂️ I'm looking at buying a house for the first time in my life (at the age of 43), and following the trends in housing is demoralizing. I don't know how housing usually correlates to general inflation, but it seems to have been a harbinger this time around.

I bought our first home (single father and teenage son) in 2016 when I was 48. It can be done, and
I wish you the best.

Honestly, when I was 28 I assumed I would be dead by this age. ;)

I bought our first home (single father and teenage son) in 2016 when I was 48. It can be done, and
I wish you the best.

Honestly, when I was 28 I assumed I would be dead by this age. ;)

Ah, much appreciated. It's okay, I'm still a kid in too many ways. When I was younger I should've paid attention to that line from Beetlejuice: "My father bought this place. He never walks away from equity."

Back
Top Bottom