WOW! Is it just me or have prices sky rocketed on gear?

webe123

Inspired
I know the pandemic has left us with higher prices due to a chip shortage...but GOOD GRIEF! I was looking at a used Axe Fx 3 on ebay in the USA...selling for over FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS! That is the axe fx 3 and a FRC 6 foot controller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275154311051?hash=item401079978b:g:rKoAAOSwoR9h~Zga
Now I know prices are higher because of the pandemic... but that to me is insane! I would rather order a brand new one from fractal for $2,200!
They also have one that would come from Japan for over SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144401140143?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item219efa89af:g:bwcAAOSweXdiAHPu&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS9d9gBrkNbRQtRn8MVXnYknL5Q4hCfPkxQCmX83bE9GfODNikVksXEHpuXU2VM3jSAPWd8%2BULaBTCrrEzsA6Xuzr2VWsjmphP794e6sGLDuV%2F9GD2%2FrXpIBXmDECvAN3urE4F5ghHcwqXaEw8hCmRL9gISYa46QTlHz5H9MX9E1AA%2BQpJcuo4fRZ5CzgHIylDrsxbxScviTkST2kRFEySHoMXa8lF7Ug%2F%2BrC04QSHhFMVC%2BJM8RFZFUVUaK58Cgswvzayivu3Rj9CUaWwUFPo3LlIrBxe3uC5x43AwUA3V5V5Kf7rPgP1TrU8MD8K4rC9cAddyONc8RMYjJ%2BRZQTmqlWuMeCdNPdMPwCdCcLNA7RglAS5lfgh1R6Y3TiK7jap1xHqWIrgjKGw40xUxHgFGdGCSMJtCqb%2F0QtVYyy%2BfHn3foLkQzptwpgcX40m%2Bchipve5PyopjLgC57FxuROhqJsAA9T%2Fzqx%2BsV1Gchjsrn1ow85UpyDaC4ha9hoWwbvVJhCu3i3wMYnEl2JusdFh7VigdML9unWR88XRQUmy93%2BoBqksFP6sTOLQFg7%2FKUvcusBP2X3AzFdeW2kYL04IOiPef75yEFkFSuW14t%2BwYPdqNR0P0R5u86Pu%2B3KiWia%2BEOP4iBQYnhyjRD1zPuWgzhHSLirlQV3bRhHP597Re6i%2FpCv546SFFHRwPPO%2Frn9CMsmLbSEQOgt%2FvNkbNVKl0i5QcK0bAdenIdx2nonxqPNzKl%2FR3WDz3z%2F1FeVzXlIcTRUwLJQ83o7zyZo2NvkWki2BGfE5KuxWwADKlSbaCL7%2BZ%2FDGx7IaBVbTUU%2BOuGS5|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMyqf00eJf
Call me crazy but I just do not get these prices! They are better on Reverb.com but not that much better. And a lot of the ones for sale are the Mark 1 models which have only half the memory of the mark 2 models! I would be afraid to ask what a Axe Fx 3 TURBO model would go for!
I WISH we could get prices back to a pre-pandemic normal....but I do not know when (or IF) that will ever happen.

Inflation is far worse than official numbers. The CPI basket of goods is supposedly "adjusted" to reflect consumer impact but it's really adjusted to make the numbers look better than they really are. If we were still measuring inflation the same as we measured it 40 years ago the numbers would probably be well into double digits.

I do data analytics as a profession (I’m a metrology engineer…means I know how to measure stuff), it sickens me the way they twist the data into reflecting what they want to project.

Who are you gonna believe, them or your own lying eyes?

I do data analytics as a profession (I’m a metrology engineer…means I know how to measure stuff), it sickens me the way they twist the data into reflecting what they want to project.

Who are you gonna believe, them or your own lying eyes?
I miss my old job measuring precision optics. Sometimes you get the measurement results and know it can't possibly be right because it doesn't make sense. Kind of the same thing. Don't trust the people doing the measurements.

A new Marshall 1960AV cab is now $1850+Tax! I'm pretty sure they were half that price before the pandemic.

Since the pandemic I've sold a ton of my guitars that I'd been trying to sell for a few years for very low prices but was able to recently sell them for the price I bought them for or more. I sold all my guitars that had a Floyd Rose because I hated tuning them. Much quicker to setup an expression pedal for Whammy Up/Down Dimebag Dive Bombs/Squeals or to control the rate/depth of a vibrato. I also figured out how to make a whammy bar flutter effect.

I still have 3 Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 string guitars for sale and 2 Epiphone Flying V Korina 7 string guitars for sale and recently saw some listed on Reverb for 3 times what I was asking.

Inflation is far worse than official numbers. The CPI basket of goods is supposedly "adjusted" to reflect consumer impact but it's really adjusted to make the numbers look better than they really are. If we were still measuring inflation the same as we measured it 40 years ago the numbers would probably be well into double digits.

Easily. Anyone buying groceries can tell you that. The typical $50/week stop at the store is about $80 now. Same stuff. I've been working on my house a lot, and building materials, electrical, pipe, everything is crazy; if you can get it.

Gear prices are nuts. It wasn't that long ago I could buy a nice 80s Charvel for $400. Pretty much all of them are over $1000 now.

Found a fellow Peter Schiff fan ;)

Easily. Anyone buying groceries can tell you that. The typical $50/week stop at the store is about $80 now. Same stuff. I've been working on my house a lot, and building materials, electrical, pipe, everything is crazy; if you can get it.

Gear prices are nuts. It wasn't that long ago I could buy a nice 80s Charvel for $400. Pretty much all of them are over $1000 now.
Only is not the same stuff, both the volume has been reduced and the ingredients and production methods have changed. So you are buying less quantity, of a lesser quality, for more money. They're doing all they can to hide it, but it's worse than that

As prices rise, everyone raises prices to offset their increases. It becomes a vicious cycle. I remember the 70s-early 80s inflation. There's not much that can be done by Executive Action. Buckle up.

This is just gouging to me. I know there is inflation, but what does that have to do with people charging thousands of dollars more for a used unit than what you can buy it for new from Fractal.
Supply and demand. The supply is LOW ( according to fractals web store, the only modeller they have in stock is the FM3, but for how long?), and demand is still pretty high. 5ypg6z.jpg

Today it is no longer 1 kg, but 700-800 grams.
Not a liter, but 7 and 8 deciliters!
And all at the same price as if 1 kg. or 1 liter.
I live alone!
I cook, wash, clean, do dishes, buy!😆😫
I do everything.
One thing I don't know! To give birth to a child !👩👨🧚‍♀️🎸🎹🥁
I see a crazy rise in prices.
The increase is at least 30%.

The shipping containers we used to purchase for $4k all day long at work are now $20k…. That’s not 7% inflation. We certainly don’t have margin to eat that so it is now passed to the consumer. The numbers that the government/news are telling you are nowhere close to the real numbers that are much worse.

Nut jobs can always ask for ridiculous prices on what they're selling. Doesn't mean it's really worth that.

(But then there may be another nut job out there with too much money who will actually pay it. Doesn't mean it's really worth that)

True that. There’s almost always someone listing a price far above the going rate. Maybe they find suckers eventually. But it makes sense gear is going up. Everything else is.

Back
Top Bottom