Wow. Awesome tones. No comparison to previous generation IMHO

northtrader

Inspired
I've been a Fractalite since 2008 - started with the Ultra back then and then moved to a AxeFX II in 2011. Followed the updates on the II all the way to the end and sold the II earlier this year to 'upgrade' to the FM3. For me, downsizing from a rack unit to a floor unit was part of the 'upgrade' process because portability and the new modelling algorithms were the top priorities.

I've had the unit for half a month and have one gig under my belt. All I can say is WOW! There's no comparison to the tones of the previous generation of Fractal units. I played a II (with last ARES firmware) and an AX8 (with last firmware) just a week prior to receiving the FM3 and the quality of the tones in the FM3 is head and shoulders above the previous generation of products. I recall going from the Ultra to the II and the tonal improvements between those generations was very subtle. Not so with the II to the FM3. It's dramatically improved. A giant step.

My bread and butter presets are based on the VOX style amps and, after translating my base preset from Axe II to FM3 (using Fractool) I didn't adjust a thing and the tone went from "that's nice" in the II to "wow - that's incredible" in the FM3. I can't speak for other amp models (haven't spent a lot of time with them) but the VOX arena that I've been in for the last 10 years was jaw dropping improvement in the FM3. Very inspiring to play through this device.
My initial preset, with a compressor, two drives, two delays, reverb and the looper also only had a 69% CPU load. A pleasantly low surprise from what I was expecting (based on CPU loads in my colleagues' AX8).

I will update as I get more gigs and presets under my belt but, as of now, I couldn't be happier with this unit. Worth the wait in spades.

Finding time to play is the challenge now.

Wishing you all a great day

Same here, loved my AX8 and managed to pick up a second hand III last year whilst awaiting the FM3 getting to England and was instantly blown away by how 'real' and alive the thing is like to play through

Just been setting up a preset for my FM3 for a rehearsal tonight and feel the same way

Fractal know what they're doing

I think I agree! I briefly had the original AxeFX in 2011, then the AX8 2017-2018 and that was a big jump and major improvement! But with the FM3, everything sounds so clear and "correct". Wish I could get the III, too.

Back
Top Bottom