Wow.... 4k bump in amp graphic eq is the shit!

When you use different IRs and they all have a different curve in the highs then there is no rule of thumb whether you need to boost or to cut. Maybe it's just that you compensate for the IRs problems, some need a boost, some need a cut, some need it somewhere else and you need a PEQ.

In case you compensate for a guitars problems you could do that before the amp block.

4 kHz is of course the main frequency (followed by 3 kHz) that folks with noise induced hearing loss tend to lose, its commonly referred to on an audiogram as a "noise notch" because its just that, a notch in otherwise normal sensitivty across the frequency range. As some folks age, the high frequencies tend to decline as well, and when your 6 and 8 kHz + start to dip down enough, the "notch" becomes more of a slope, making it hard to tell noise exposure from things like presbycusis, aka age related hearing loss, but when I see guys in their 20's and 30's, who are musicians, active or past military, factory workers etc, and that don't use hearing protecting, 3 and 4 kHz are always declined.

Point being that if you find your raising the EQ a considerable bit in those frequencies and its sounding subjectively "good", you may just be compensating for your own hearing loss and limited audibility in that range, and others with normal hearing sensitivity probably think it sounds very harsh

I recently took a professional hearing test followed by SEVEN online tests. I have a dip at @4Khz but it comes back up again at 8Khz. I guess 37 years of gigging takes it's toll. So I guess adding 4Khz is only going to get me back to where 'normal' folks hear a 'flat' response (in my own ears anyway)

I generally avoid the amp graphic eq. When you reset the block, you lose the curve. Not bad with a few presets, but when you update firmware and have to reset more than a hundred....

Wouldn't global blocks solve this for you? Unless I suppose if you tweak all the presets differently to each other.

Wouldn't global blocks solve this for you? Unless I suppose if you tweak all the presets differently to each other.
A block reset is a block reset, whether it's a global block or not.

A block reset is a block reset, whether it's a global block or not.

I've probably misunderstood, I was thinking if the block was global then you would reset it, then correct the amp graphic EQ, and because it's global the other presets would be updated as well.

Ah I just realised my suggestion is pointless, you'd have to reset the amp block on each preset anyway regardless if they were global or not.

Sorry about the thread derail! Wasn't being has helpful as I hoped.

When you reset a global block and you store the preset, that reset affects all presets with that global block.

Instead you can put an eq block in your preset and link that global, that way you can still fool around with amp settings without making global changes but you also have a handle for global eqing.

4kHz area gets reduced 90% of the time, for me (usually looking to take a node). Depending on the mix, it could be up to a 6dB reduction (with a very high Q of 6 or more).

I also usually do a 1dB reduction around 4.3kHz with a wider Q of 1.5 (there's something about the Axe-Fx that benefits from this particular move).

Almost every amp/cab setup benefits from cuts in that region, there's usually a bunch of harsh peaky noise around there .

In case you compensate for a guitars problems you could do that before the amp block.

You can, and I do at times, but the GEQ in the amp block is a different animal that I tend to prefer regardless. Sometimes I'll boost just a bit before the amp and in the GEQ.

Back
Top Bottom