Would you sell your AX8 to buy a new FM3?

I really doubt I would sell my AX8 for FM3.

1. AX8 sounds great and I really don't use many of the deeper features on it.

2. The old-school part of me (that had to be talked into computer based amps in the first place) is the same part of me that basically pushes back against the idea of running down the computer based obsolescence in favor of the "next best" cycle that exists with any computer based product. In fact, this rabbit hole is what tends to draw me back toward traditional gear. Gear that doesn't go out of style or become obsolete, rather than pushing me toward the next best product that will also be obsolete in a few years.

In the mean time, I have my AX8 set up that way I want. It sounds great. Works for me. And I'm satisfied using it.

Keeping my AX8, agree with LancerS. Years ago at a break we went into the can for a whiz. We were being picky about a few mistakes we made and overheard some from the audience saying the band played great.

For me it comes down to the money. For me personally. i can't keep sinking this kind of money into modeling gear that is only marginally better than previous generations. I do not own the FM3 but i have had a pod x3, hd500, eleven rack (which i still love) and the ax8. I've heard some pretty convincing sounds on youtube but there again i can't see continuing to spend 1000 each time a new thing comes out. I got a friend that just did some recording using a pod hd500 and it sounded great (i never learned how to get these kind of results myself) so there again for me i just feel like if i do upgrade it will be at least another 5 years when there is enough of an upgrade to justify. By then probably every modeler available will be as good on sound quality and it i will be some other bells and whistles that compete.

I know i'm going to probably get blasted for his but i am a bit disappointed we never saw that next aries upgrade that they said we would get. Also disappointed that a couple of years ago they said ax8 was still in the early life stages and then within like 6 months they decided it didn't have the power to continue development. So there again i'm not moving on the next greatest thing until the improvements are way beyond what the ax8 has to offer. And it is kinda of nice to have a product that is done so whatever tweaking you do, you no longer have worry that an update will change the sound.

i agree 100% mate, and no, i dont have to own a FM3 to make that decision.
the only sensible update i see is the Axe 3, alas i didnt have enough money for that so had to go for a 2nd hand Axe2 xl+.
if the Ax8 has enough 'oomph' for you that stay as you are!

I would not sell my AX8 to buy an FM3.

Simple personal reasons:
1. Form factor: I use more than three footswitches live, often needing 6.
2. (More like "1a") Ease of setup for the number of footswitches I use, as I do not need to add more footswitches.
3. I have all my tones dialed in and they are perfect for my needs. I would rather play than tweak a new piece of gear.

Trust me... I would love to have a reason to get one. I've been busting my butt and feel like I deserve a reward with the extra cash I've made. However, replacing the AX8 with the FM3 would feel like a step backwards given the form factor and the work involved to recreate my patches. On top of that, any minimal sound improvement will not be worth it, as my AX8 tones are perfect to my ears, even when switching with my beloved Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.

Even if I didn't have an AX8, I would probably buy the AX8 over the FM3 due to the form factor. Not to mention the sound cannot be that much better given my AX8 sounds perfect next to my favorite amp. Being able to use more amps in a preset is appealing, but it doesn't matter much for my live use.

For those of you who want an FM3 or already have an FM3, enjoy! It is a marvelous piece of gear.

If the AX8 didn't exist, I would definitely get one.

No one you will ever gig in front of will ever be able to tell the difference between the AX8 and the FM3.

There is so much truth in that quote. Most people will never tell the difference between a Line 6 POD, a [insert your favorite analog amp], and an Axe-Fx LXIX XL2+++.

The biggest difference is in how you dial in your tone to complement the rest of the band. The other biggest difference is how well your sound man mixes everything. The other other biggest difference is how you play.

Last edited:
Last week I sold my Axe Fx Ax8 to buy the FM3. If everything goes well the Fm3 will arrive today afternoon.. I Cant wait :blush:

The reasons why i switched from Ax8 to Fm3 is:

-Smaller Than Ax8 so I dont need to bring with me an extra bag when I'm going to rehersal
-For me is enough the 3 footswitches
-With the Fm3 you can Reamp ,dont need an extra gear
-Theres an audio interface in it.

TBH, I’m a little miffed that we haven’t got an update on the Ares update so far. The sticky thread has been full of posts wondering what’s going on.

And let me be clear, I’m not annoyed that AX8 won’t get an update. I’m annoyed at the silence. Personally, a simple update like ‘we aren’t working on it’, or ‘Given the circumstances we are busy fulfilling FM3 orders first and expect to provide an update on AX8 3 months from now’ would’ve been sufficient.

For this reason and others, I will most likely not be buying an FM3. Not because of the product, more because of the company.

TBH, I’m a little miffed that we haven’t got an update on the Ares update so far. The sticky thread has been full of posts wondering what’s going on.

And let me be clear, I’m not annoyed that AX8 won’t get an update. I’m annoyed at the silence. Personally, a simple update like ‘we aren’t working on it’, or ‘Given the circumstances we are busy fulfilling FM3 orders first and expect to provide an update on AX8 3 months from now’ would’ve been sufficient.

For this reason and others, I will most likely not be buying an FM3. Not because of the product, more because of the company.
This . i keep my good old ax8

I pulled the trigger on the FM3. I will wait to get it before I conosider selling the AX8. I'm a horder. Leave me alone. I also have the Axe Fx III racked. So I might keep the AX8 as back up.

Back
Top Bottom