Would you sell your AX8 to buy a new FM3?

cesarlatorreb

Hey!!! I'm a "new" Fractal Audio's user.
I say "new" because I have always followed FA (and used some friend's products) but I just purchased my own AX8 on January.
Last week I received my invitation to purchase the FM3 and because of the situation I'm wondering if I should sell my AX8 to buy the FM3 or make an effort and keep them both. I'm not sure what to do!!

Let me know what do you think!

The AX8 is a great piece of gear. But as time goes by, and even now, the FM3 is pulling far ahead. The FM3 is awesome.
Sell the AX8 and get an FC6 to go with the FM3 and don't look back!

i bought my Ax8 last year. im only a bedroom player but i found the Ax8 lacked power.
i cant afford an Axe3 so i bought an secondhand Axe2 xl+.
i am more than happy!!
the FM3 had zero interest for me im afraid, i would prefer the Ax8 to it everyday!

i bought my Ax8 last year. im only a bedroom player but i found the Ax8 lacked power.
i cant afford an Axe3 so i bought an secondhand Axe2 xl+.
i am more than happy!!
the FM3 had zero interest for me im afraid, i would prefer the Ax8 to it everyday!
Thanks @jimbop!! Why do you say that? What do you think about the FM3?

it has 'slightly' more power than the Ax8 but looks ugly and cheap.
selling the Ax8 for a FM3 isnt an upgrade imo, more of a backwards step.
go for the Axe 3!! or like me......enjoy the POWER of the Ax2 xl+ hahaha

I assume that you have used the FM3 to speak so derogatorily of it.
Or are you being critical of something you actually have never seen in real life or tried?
You would be surprised how user friendly this little box is. From a User Interface viewpoint, it is so much easier to get a tone out of than the AX8 that, by itself, it's a major advantage over the AX8.
But once you actually plug in and use it, there is no contest.

And if I may suggest, unless you have personal experience with both units, refrain from giving advice on something you have not experienced.

To answer the question of the original post......yep, I would, I did and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The FM3 rocks.

Here is my post to another similar thread.
I have added a two button external switch. I rarely used more than 5 switches on my AX8.
With the new FM3 setup I use Switches 1 & 3 hold for preset inc/dec. Switch 2 hold gets me the tuner.
Switches 1-5 tap give me scenes 1-5. I love this setup. I love the improved FM3 front panel access scheme.
I love the expanded amps, effects and cabs. I love having 4 channels. Plus it sounds noticeably better than the AX8.
No way would I go back to the AX8.

I assume that you have used the FM3 to speak so derogatorily of it.
Or are you being critical of something you actually have never seen in real life or tried?
You would be surprised how user friendly this little box is. From a User Interface viewpoint, it is so much easier to get a tone out of than the AX8 that, by itself, it's a major advantage over the AX8.
But once you actually plug in and use it, there is no contest.

And if I may suggest, unless you have personal experience with both units, refrain from giving advice on something you have not experienced.
oh here we go.......if my opinion differs from yours, im at fault.
1. regarding the power, thats stated on wiki.
2. the rest of my post is IN MY OPINION!! i think it looks ugly, i dont see a major step forward from the Ax8, quiet the reverse.
i would advise upgrading to the Ax3.

you think otherwise.......thats great.
but dont ever lecture me on giving MY opinion.

@cesarlatorreb I think you have all the data you need to make a decision based on people who have had both units and used them.
Feel free to PM me if you need more details.

My AX8 is up for sale, has been for a few weeks. But honestly, if it stays in my house that will be fine also. Some here are making it appear the AX8 is an inferior product? It is an amazing product and the refinements, as far as "sound and feel" are actually very small imho.
For me it's about the "sound".
I have always upgraded to the newest fractal and then sold the prior one.
But, at this point, it is not as important to me.....................The AX8 sounds great and is an all in one powerhouse. Yes I do have the FM3 and love it.....But that does not mean I love my AX8 any less!
Threads like this always remind me of those threads "What should I get as a backup for my (Fractal product goes here)?

My AX8 is up for sale, has been for a few weeks. But honestly, if it stays in my house that will be fine also. Some here are making it appear the AX8 is an inferior product? It is an amazing product and the refinements, as far as "sound and feel" are actually very small imho.
For me it's about the "sound".
I have always upgraded to the newest fractal and then sold the prior one.
But, at this point, it is not as important to me.....................The AX8 sounds great and is an all in one powerhouse. Yes I do have the FM3 and love it.....But that does not mean I love my AX8 any less!
Threads like this always remind me of those threads "What should I get as a backup for my (Fractal product goes here)?

Totally! My "old" XL sounds better than any other "backup" unit could ever.

That being said, I'll be getting a second FM3 as backup/travel unit. Not because anything sounds bad, but because I don't want to have to recall 2 sets of user interfaces to work with. And I can load both with the same presets.

Having the Axe FX III, I have a bank dedicated to FM3 presets and unless I have a special need for something more powerful, which is rare, I use the same presets across the board - AXIII and FM3. It makes for a very "don't have to think" efficient workflow.

it has 'slightly' more power than the Ax8 but looks ugly and cheap.
selling the Ax8 for a FM3 isnt an upgrade imo, more of a backwards step.
go for the Axe 3!! or like me......enjoy the POWER of the Ax2 xl+ hahaha
Kind of depends on your needs. First off, Channels alone is an amazing upgrade-basically 4 amps in one preset! I think they are built like a tank, just like the AX8 is. The only, and I mean only advantage I see for the AX8 over the FM3 are the footswtches. But stand-in switches on the FM3 work great.
Just sayin...................

Last edited:
Patzag! I'm actually not on the fence, so far. I have the AX8 and I like it. I have the Axe Fx III and I love it. I'm not that much knowledgeable about the FM3. And I'm not sure why I'd need the FM3. The Axe III is hardwired into my studio. The Ax8 my live and rehearsal rig. There are actually some presets that just sound great in the AX8. I haven't quite duplicated them in the III. I'm just not sure what the advantages are with the FM3 over the AX8.

Not a lot of gigs lately, of course. And we're having our first rehearsal in 11 weeks in a couple of days. Remind me please. What does the FM3 have over the AX8/ That it's still being supported? That it has more memory, but less buttons?

Patzag! I'm actually not on the fence, so far. I have the AX8 and I like it. I have the Axe Fx III and I love it. I'm not that much knowledgeable about the FM3. And I'm not sure why I'd need the FM3. The Axe III is hardwired into my studio. The Ax8 my live and rehearsal rig. There are actually some presets that just sound great in the AX8. I haven't quite duplicated them in the III. I'm just not sure what the advantages are with the FM3 over the AX8.

Not a lot of gigs lately, of course. And we're having our first rehearsal in 11 weeks in a couple of days. Remind me please. What does the FM3 have over the AX8/ That it's still being supported? That it has more memory, but less buttons?

Hey Henry!
Great to hear from you here.
The AX8 is an awesome piece of kit (as the brits would say) and there is nothing wrong with it. If you don't feel a need to change, why would you?
For me, the ability to duplicate presets between the FM3 and the Axe FX III was a senior need.
You know what the III sounds like. If you want the same sounds in your gig rig, then the FM3 is where you want to go.
It's a bit smaller and the 3 switches are so versatile that I don't miss the AX8 far more numerous buttons.
The last thing I would add to the above is that the actual user interface of the 8 was, for me, a PITA. I could never bond with it or more fast with it. The II was OK. The III is superb. And the FM3 is the same UI as the III.
Up to you ...
If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom