Would You Recommend the Axe-FX II to someone like me?

Sounds like the AxeFx II is what you're looking for, but two things are required to be sure:

1. Patience to push through the learning curve

2. Very good monitoring system: headphones (ideally upper-end Beyerdynamics) or FRFR monitor(s): Atomic CLR (best), Matrix or RCF wedges (next best), or QSC K10 (best budget wedge)

If you don't like lots of tweaking, you might look at the Kemper, which is about $700 cheaper, but you do lose a bit of authenticity of the amps' & effects' quality of sound.

I would get it if I were you. If you can get past the learning curve, which really isnt all that bad, its really amazing. You can download different IRs and patching from people all over the world and even create your own and share them. The axe does sound amazing through head phones too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Axe Fx 2 can produce any guitar sound you've ever heard on any record since the guitar was first recorded. Bar none. And it does it so well, it has even fooled the "old school" people. No kidding. The sounds are only limited by what you can imagine. Truly.

Thanks for the responses. I do realize that the responses on here come from people who are for the product as opposed to against it, but I wanted to draw on some of the experience here when asking specifically about my rhythm and FX needs. Thankfully I have a nice pair of Audeze LCD-2's, and I am really looking forward to hearing the unit through them.

I am curious how many people on here end up keeping their other expensive pedals and rack-gear. The TC 2290 is definitely one of the most amazing pieces of gear I've ever seen, so I wonder if most of the features I enjoy from it can be found in the Axe FX, or if there's ever a chance I could end up selling the unit.

I used to own a 2290 and a G-Force. The AxeFx covers all my efx needs quite well. I used to use the 2290 with the bigger foot controller, which allowed patch selection and also control of the fx loops. The Axe with the MFC-101 gives me that and much more if needed.

The Axe is as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. Looking at it for the effects side things it is not a stomp box emulator if you want that get a Line 6.

The effects are on par with any pro rack pice you can think of. As to the amp sims the same thing can be said. As for the rest of the features it is the most all inclusive single unit processor out and continues to be until it runs out of memory or processing power.

Bottom line you have a trial period so it really is risk free, take advantage of it and find out for your self. You have a good base of users some new and some long time that have provided you with what I would call factual and accurate info. I would also add that the Axe is not for everyone but based on what you have posted I would say it's right up your alley... give it a shot you have nothing to loose :encouragement:.

I have been using the Axe in church for several years now. First the Ultra, now the FX-II. Best gear I ever bought. It is extremely versatile and gives me great tone. Go for it.

There will be a change to what you're used to if you reach down and turn knobs on pedals here and there and often enough when you're playing. Other than that, it's a beast of a machine and once the sound is dialed in, there's no need to turn knobs like one does with pedals. I'm still a newbie here and from what I've read, there's an abundance of support and knowledge on this forum. Take the plunge and get it, I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the responses. I do realize that the responses on here come from people who are for the product as opposed to against it, but I wanted to draw on some of the experience here when asking specifically about my rhythm and FX needs. Thankfully I have a nice pair of Audeze LCD-2's, and I am really looking forward to hearing the unit through them.

I am curious how many people on here end up keeping their other expensive pedals and rack-gear. The TC 2290 is definitely one of the most amazing pieces of gear I've ever seen, so I wonder if most of the features I enjoy from it can be found in the Axe FX, or if there's ever a chance I could end up selling the unit.

I've only had my first AxeFx a few weeks, I can tell you that it's a massive culture shock if you are just an amp and pedal guy, I'm a bit of a luddite and the learning curve is pretty steep but I am getting there slowly. Having frequented these pages and knowing a few pro-musicians who use the unit and really rate it I know the sounds are in there I'm looking for, I just need the skill to get them out and thats where this forum and its members have been a massive help.
I truly believe you wont find a better resource than this place, it's easily one of the most active product specific forums, couple that with the fact that other manufacturers (Notably Matrix and Atomic) regularly contribute and help out users and you've got a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on.
I've still to use mine at a gig, which I am a bit apprehensive about but the signs are all there that it will be a successful investment, its potential is way beyond what I use it for, some of the patches and routing you see people share are mind blowingly complex but as a one stop do it all solution that sounds every bit as good as the real thing I don't think you will find better.

You play rhythm guitar and you want versatile effects. What do you need besides good amp models and...versatile effects? Whether you play rhythm or lead.

The amp models are as good as it gets. If you want to know how versatile the effects are, download the manual. Look up the Delay block, and compare it to your 2290. There's a 2290 emulation mode in there.

Back
Top Bottom