Would you like to run Axe-Edit as a plug on you DAW?

Would you like to run Axe Edit as a plug in your DAW?

• yes

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • no

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Why can't you do that with reamping? I know a lot of people are clamoring for this. It just seems like the best copy protection for Cliff and Fractal is just the way it is. Harder to reverse engineer. Plus he can avoid all the massive headaches having to make it compatible with every OS and application that might have conflicts. I like it the way it is, although I know my opinion is probably in the minority.

Why? Why can't you do that with reamping? I know a lot of people are clamoring for this. It just seems like the best copy protection for Cliff and Fractal is just the way it is. Harder to reverse engineer. Plus he can avoid all the massive headaches having to make it compatible with every OS and application that might have conflicts. I like it the way it is, although I know my opinion is probably in the minority.
It would be nice to cut down on the time spent re-amping every single track.

I think the effort to integrate the processing in the axe into processing that can run in a vst or daw environment would be pretty substantial as they are rather different processes

My basic wish would just be VST/AAX plugin functionality for AxeEdit. This would allow automation, etc. settings per song. I'm thinking there's a way to do this with midi cc functions, but the plugin route would be more straightforward I think. The pipe dream would be if they could create an environment like UAD where you have to have the hardware to run the software. If there's a way to crack this, I think it's not worth it because those plugins (UAD) depend on those dedicated chips to run and would likely overwhelm the host processor. UAD has built a pretty successful business on this model. I know that I don't know enough to understand the difficulties and complexities involved. Maybe part of is that the typical guitarist doesn't really care about DAW functionality. I was that way for a long time before I got more into songwriting and production. Maybe they don't feel they have the market to support the effort.

I have the Helix plugin and it is very convenient and you don't have to have the hardware. If you gig all the time and don't want to set everything back up, that would be the advantage here. You would not have to reamp, because it does it automatically. You have to have a great Audio interface to cut down on latency. Thunderbolt is the latest technology that I have to cut down on this. On USB or Firewire, if you listen to the input signal, you will hear 100ms delay which is distracting. I always turned off listening to input when I had those. Recording are the same and everything. It would really be nice. I have both The Helix and Axe 3. The amps and effects are better on the Axe and would be nice to have.

Joseph, I didn't know that about the Helix, that is deff cool.

Strumzilla, there is deff a market for it, JST is ding great with their "Tone Forge", and there are a bunch more out there. UAD can do it so can Fractal if they want to.

Josephyballew;They could do it like UAD, where you need their hardware to run the plugs. The plugs run off of the DSP in the hardware.

I have the Helix plugin and it is very convenient and you don't have to have the hardware. If you gig all the time and don't want to set everything back up, that would be the advantage here. You would not have to reamp, because it does it automatically. You have to have a great Audio interface to cut down on latency. Thunderbolt is the latest technology that I have to cut down on this. On USB or Firewire, if you listen to the input signal, you will hear 100ms delay which is distracting. I always turned off listening to input when I had those. Recording are the same and everything. It would really be nice. I have both The Helix and Axe 3. The amps and effects are better on the Axe and would be nice to have.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett, run ASIO via USB 2.0 and I'm able to achieve a couple of ms of latency tops, whether that's tracking with the Helix, dry, or any other plugins. This includes Superior and Kontakt running concurrently. Just sayin, if you have the proper RAM and the application doesn't call for it, Thunderbolt is not a necessity.

My basic wish would just be VST/AAX plugin functionality for AxeEdit.

This.

Any guitarist who records with the AxeFX wants AxeEdit to be a plugin, not an application. That way you can store the settings you used to record the track in the track on your DAW. IMHO this should be at the top of the FA wishlist.

I see from the responses there is some misunderstanding about what is being suggested in this thread, probably because of the unfortunately worded thread title. This is different than wanting a plugin version of the AxeFX. It is only AxeEdit that would be a plugin. You'd still use your AxeFX.

This.

Any guitarist who records with the AxeFX wants AxeEdit to be a plugin, not an application. That way you can store the settings you used to record the track in the track on your DAW. IMHO this should be at the top of the FA wishlist.

I respectfully disagree. It is easy enough to store a preset for the session in the Axe, on disk, or both. Recall is one extra step of loading the preset.

I use the Logic I/O plugin to add the Axe to a channel and re-amp the DI signal through it.

It works well.

It works well.

It works well *until* you delete tracks in your session, rename tracks, or do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset goes with which track :). Instead, if the preset is attached to the track in your DAW, it makes it much easier to keep track of things. Avid did something similar to this with the Eleven Rack and it worked great.

Everyone has their own workflow. Setting up plugins under the umbrella of one DAW, especially with settings that can be recalled, automated, etc. with minimal fuss helps get the technical out of the way so I can make music. I had said before that I'm not sure that FAS target market is using plugins in this manner as much as other non guitarist roles are using them. The typical guitarist might only want the basic functionality of the front panel or just axe edit and that's cool. If you don't mind adding extra steps, or if you've worked with midi cc and have a solution you're happy with, then that's cool too. I'd just like to see FAS throw us a bone and give us some basic functionality like so many other companies have done. The pipe dream would be a software environment like UAD has created (which still depends on hardware), but I'd settle for just an AxeEdit plugin.

It works well *until* you delete tracks in your session, rename tracks, or do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset goes with which track :). Instead, if the preset is attached to the track in your DAW, it makes it much easier to keep track of things. Avid did something similar to this with the Eleven Rack and it worked great.

I agree it is easier to have it as a plug-in with recall. I disagree that “this should be at the top of the FA wish list”. There is a viable alternative and many more things that they should prioritize first.

I’d LOVE to have the Axe Fx as a plugin. Yup could use the fx on all kinds of things like vocals drums etc. plus the convenience on re-amping in a more streamlined workflow.

So without a VST solution, today using the AX8, I create one preset in Ax8-edit for each guitar track in my DAW, and match the name of the preset/track. So when working on a project and I want to change something, I just load up the corresponding preset, edit, and run the DI through the reamp loop to replace the old track. It results in quite a few presets, but I just dump them on my harddrive, sorted in folders. Anyone got a better workflow, it'd be interesting to hear...

Ah that's right - the elevenrack would spit a Sysex or whatever to the beginning of a track to select the correct preset! I used to love that feature. I know, however that by the time I blew the dust off an old recording, my presets would have changed or the unit it self.
I think cliff & co are being sensible and saving themselves a lot of heartache by not releasing an axe fx plugin.
Thanks
Pauly

It just seems like a bunch of spoiled brats. LOL. You have the best of the best with the Axe. But it's too hard to reamp. It's messy. Yet it protects Cliff's intellectual property. This is the generation of wanting and being entitled. If there were a way to COMPLETELY PROTECT it from getting ripped off, I'd be for it. But I'm happy for this little inconvenience, which I don't think of as inconvenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom