Would you ever go direct to PA with out a sound guy?

sskkmm

Power User
We have played a few shows that have been a struggle space wise...4 piece with drums, bass, guitar, and keys...and there have been a few places that have been challenging to say the least. Last gig I had to get very creative to find space for my ASM12. I have been tempted to just go to the PA...but we don't have a dedicated sound guy. Depending on the space the powered mixer is either by the drummer or just stacked on top of the bass rig.

I would have no problems going direct (happy with sound) but concerned about the mix - at least with the Friedman behind me in classic amp style I can walk out and get an idea of the mix.

Thoughts?

I know this case:) To save a space IEM is a solution, but personaly I'm not happy with guitar sound in headphones. As I'm working as sound guy and musician....I have FOH sound plus my guitar and voice if needed in my headphones. On the beggining of gig (and if I can later) I'm checking FOH from the audience with necessary equalization. Dynamic and solos are done by musicians.
If details needed, I can describe.

Thanks - drummer would prefer to go IEMs as he does with another band but no one is really wanting to invest any more $ at this point. Perhaps if things continue we can pool some money and get the gear.

We usually play in small bars using my own PA and in most cases without a sound guy. I own the PA and an X32 desk so my plan is to record the FOH sound along with the fader movements next time we have someone taking care of the FOH sound. This should give me an impression on where we need to adjust preset volume levels.

I run direct to PA without a sound guy.

Honestly, I think, it is an illusion that a speaker behind gives you a better idea of the sound out front than just going straight to PA. From your spot on stage, you have no clue about the sound out front in either case.

I run FOH, when we gig. Both in ear and guitar are wireless, so I take many trips out front to listen to the sound and adjust FOH accordingly.

We have played a few shows that have been a struggle space wise...4 piece with drums, bass, guitar, and keys...and there have been a few places that have been challenging to say the least. Last gig I had to get very creative to find space for my ASM12. I have been tempted to just go to the PA...

Thoughts?
I got an idea...better gigs in bigger venues! - LOL

We have played a few shows that have been a struggle space wise...4 piece with drums, bass, guitar, and keys...and there have been a few places that have been challenging to say the least. Last gig I had to get very creative to find space for my ASM12. I have been tempted to just go to the PA...but we don't have a dedicated sound guy. Depending on the space the powered mixer is either by the drummer or just stacked on top of the bass rig.

I would have no problems going direct (happy with sound) but concerned about the mix - at least with the Friedman behind me in classic amp style I can walk out and get an idea of the mix.

Thoughts?
Yep. Whenever it needs to be done. ;) Usually use IEMs when going straight to PA.

My advice is, take the PA home for a weekend, play direct thru it and set things up for that setup. The amp you have on stage or in this case the FRFR on stage will not be a good reference for what people are hearing outside unless the amp you have on stage is the same as the PA speaker at the same level, same height and same distance from you as it is from the crowd. Your stage amp is for you.

You'll have a more consistent sound if you go direct, that's just my 2 cents.

Oh and if there's no stage room tell the drummer to get a smaller kit!!! lol my drummer got one of these and they kick ass specially mic'd! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BreakBeats-WS

if your playing area is to small to have some one run the board, and you have an acoustic drum set in there you will not get a good mix at a volume you can stand to listen to any ways. I would do as @Nero suggested, set up the pa at practice and set base levels. send the bass direct, and monitor your rig through the vocal monitors. try to leave the monitor mixes close to what front of house is getting so you will have some idea of the mix, except for the drums. Unless you talk the drummer into E drums. then the monitor mix can be real close to what front of house will here.

Did it yesterday, sort of. Bass player used the iPad to set levels and then we played without anyone at the board.

As long as you have some sort of monitor mix coming back at you it should be no problem.

Are you on wireless?

If you can walk out and get an idea on the mix, then the same should apply for FOH
Nope no wireless here...I do have a long-ass cable I use for soundchecks though. Time for some wireless perhaps. But it does complicate guitar changes.

Back
Top Bottom