Would you dislike a 4U Axe-Fx 4?

I can’t imagine being forced to use a computer to edit at the gig. I enjoy having a screen with full editing capability. The recent Perform Screen additions really help with this as well.

I really like Clockwork Creep's idea of having an option to use an iPhone or iPad (or android) w/ Axe-Edit, maybe via bluetooth. That way you could have a 1U, or small floor module with basic knobs, then use your phone as a visual editor, if needed. Sounds like an elegant solution!

Worst case maybe you forget your phone, just dial in the basic knobs. Tweak and go!

When I first read about the III, the new interface, etc, I was pretty excited. The reality is that I don't really use the front panel/screen on the III much at all, as AxeEdit is so good. It also isn't somewhere where I can get to it without being hunched over, stretching, weird angle and difficult to read.

Due to all that, I'd be fine packing more goodies into a tighter package. As long as it has the connections on the back, make it as small as possible and just let people provide their own display when needed.

4U would make a bigger screen possible, perhaps even a touch screen....

A front USB HOST port that could handle a USB3 thumbdrive for extra preset, IR, and whatever else to be stored would be most welcome.

Also, 4U could make a larger, quieter cooling fan possible - not that it is overly loud now, but quieter is better in studio situations....

I can’t imagine being forced to use a computer to edit at the gig. I enjoy having a screen with full editing capability. The recent Perform Screen additions really help with this as well.
Agree. I love Axe-Edit at home, but on the gig, quick tweaks are always done on the front panel. Much easier than it was on the II, but I did the same on that smaller screen, too, so I suppose it might be a matter of being used to it. I have enough paraphernalia on stage as it is, and share my side with a large keyboard rig, so bringing a laptop into that wouldn‘t work well. I’m glad the screen was improved.

To the OP, I’m already at 4U because I use a 1U panel to bring all the connectors to the front. With a power supply, I needed a 6U rack, so I’d not want it to get taller. Would I buy it? Hmmmmm. For the first time, I can’t get past “maybe”

People are all about wifi and Bluetooth for editing until you are on a gig with serious EMI or rfi in those band ranges that makes such connections impossible. then you will thank all that is holy for front panel or USB wired options to edit your unit.

I haven't had to edit on a 1 unit screen since my Digitech GSP 21 and you couldn't pay me enough to do that again in 2020. That's like saying to save cost and size, eliminate the starter motor in a car and put a big hand crank on the front like a model t Ford.

Sure, some luddites will embrace such moves, but you won't get many buyers with such decisions as people like convenience of usability versus convenience of small size.

Last edited:
+1 on sacrificing screen size for more portability. Axe-Edit is awesome, and I could deal with a tiny screen for occasional gig tweaks.

People are all about wifi and Bluetooth for editing until you are on a gig with serious EMI or rfi in those band ranges that makes such connections impossible. then you will thank all that is holy for front panel or USB wired options to edit your unit.

I haven't had to edit on a 1 unit screen since my Digitech GSP 21 and you couldn't pay me enough to do that again in 2020. That's like saying to save cost and size, eliminate the starter motor in a car and put a big hand crank on the front like a model t Ford.

Sure, some luddites will embrace such moves, but you won't get many buyers with such decisions as people like convenience of usability versus convenience of small size.
Digitech RP20 was my first. 2 line LCD if I’m remembering. What a pain to edit.

And that is why front USB connection should be standard issue on the Axe-FX. Fumbling in the back in the dark of a stage is just plain piss poor ergonomics.

On the flipside, most guitarists today start their multi-FX careers with using software editors. So for them having a huge 3U screen is maybe not that big of an issue. And 2U seems like a fair compromise.

My first multi-FX was the Boss GX-700, which I found quite easy to edit on its 1U screen. Also quite free in how you created your presets. It wasn't until the Axe-FX that I got the idea of wow, finally a unit that doesn't restrict me in what kind and how many effects I use. The POD XT only allowed me to run one kind of modulation effect. GX-700 was like chorus, flanger, phaser, tremelo all at once? No problemo? Change the order too? No problemo too! I had a sound on my former band's 2011 EP that was the GX-700, only unit that could do that crazy noise until I got the Axe-FX.

And that is why front USB connection should be standard issue on the Axe-FX. Fumbling in the back in the dark of a stage is just plain piss poor ergonomics.
why would you be connecting the USB on a dark stage? i can't see it being on the front when almost everything else is on the back.

why would you be connecting the USB on a dark stage? i can't see it being on the front when almost everything else is on the back.
Last minute editing via laptop or tablet? I see no reason why it should be in the back when its probably the single connection that gets inserted and taken out again the most aside from the guitar jack. And that's at the front too. Maybe its a case of I don't have this problem so I see no problem on your part and others, but I've rerouted the USB connection to a front panel for this very reason. Back connections are usually fixed, front connectors should be for temporary connectors, like the guitar input and USB.

1U rack unit, an iOS version of Axe-Edit for iPad would be my ideal setup. Although I guess at least 2U would be necessary to fit all the rear panel connections.

Back
Top Bottom