would you consider an electronic drum amp for your guitar modeler?

Bushy

Inspired
Isn't an electronic drum amp considered a "full range"? I have the BOSS SY-300 guitar synthesizer pedal. I'm not sure if this is considered a "modeler" or a "simulator" or simply an effect pedal (are they all one in the same?).

This electronic drum amp from Simmons looks tempting:

http://simmonsdrums.net/da350-electric-drum-monitor-system/

It may be ideal for my BOSS SY-300 guitar synthesizer pedal due to it having a dedicated subwoofer along with a pair of satellite speakers.

Would your effect pedal benefit from a subwoofer or not? Would you consider the amp I linked above?

I do have the Simmons DA50 electronic drum amp for practice. Would this be considered a full range as well? I'm not sure if it's "flat response" though. Can anyone tell based on its specs?

Powered speakers for drums accentuate the highs and lows too much. It’s almost the opposite of what you want for guitar. Keyboard amps tend to do this too. If I have to use one, I turn down bass and treble all the way, turn up the mids all the way, and hope it sounds decent.

Personally No, I would not consider using one of these. As Chris has pointed out the large problem with these types of solutions is the sub is having to pick up information above 80 hz and the tops are to small for any kind of mid range definition which can make things sound not good for guitars. You will hear it on it's own but put it in the context of a mix and your guitar tone will be lost or sound like your playing a Bass Kazoo.

I have no experience with the DA350, so this is purely speculation. It's probably full range, but probably not flat. My guess is that it would be somewhat scooped in the mids. Drums have a lot of lows and highs, not much mids. If they're building the system to specifically monitor drums, I don't think they'd put a lot of emphasis on tuning it to be flat across the entire spectrum.

But yes, I'm sure you could get a decent result with the SY-300 with enough tweaking. Just keep in mind that any preset you dial in using the DA350 might not translate well to a PA that is flat.

I also have an SY-300. To me it's more of a very fancy filter. I use it for the synth-like sounds, but not the guitar sims. I wouldn't use an AxeFx with a drum amp, though.

Is there a particular reason you were considering a drum monitor (i.e., do you also have e-drums)?

Yes I do have an e-drum set (2 actually). I do have the Simmons DA50 drum amp. I'm a bit confused because all companies sell their own amps specific to what instrument it should be used for (aka marketing) so that way they can sell more amps JUST for a specific instrument. My curiosity is this; could the Headrush FRFR actually be used for an e-drums then? Since it is full range and flat response...

I've always wanted to have just 1 amp/or speaker that is versatile enough to use for any instrument as I am a multi instrumentalist. I have a Peavey Rage 258 guitar amp, which I may sell to get the Headrush FRFR because I was advised that my BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal is not a good idea to use for a regular guitar amp (I haven't done so!) or it may be damaged. I'm also a bassist and I do have a mini bass amp from Blackstar (the 3W one). I hope the Headrush FRFR is versatile enough to handle bass guitars run through a BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal. I'd actually like to use the Headrush FRFR for all my instruments as my sole amp and hopefully consolidate all my amps and sell it off to get the Headrush FRFR as a replacement.

Although most of the guys on the Talkbass forum have suggested to me either a 210 or 410 bass cab so that it "moves air", but that's another gear hunt. I shall see if the Headrush FRFR can handle it all!

I have a synthesizer as well...

Is this why a keyboard and an e-drum amp are interchangeable? I'm sure those 3 knobs to control low, mid, and high, can do wonders...

Powered speakers for drums accentuate the highs and lows too much. It’s almost the opposite of what you want for guitar. Keyboard amps tend to do this too. If I have to use one, I turn down bass and treble all the way, turn up the mids all the way, and hope it sounds decent.

all companies sell their own amps specific to what instrument it should be used for (aka marketing) so that way they can sell more amps JUST for a specific instrument.
i wouldn't say that necessarily. a drum amp IS designed with features specific to drums, or tuned a bit more for drums. same as a keyboard amp. they just happen to be very similar. same thing for an acoustic guitar amp - it's basically a full range speaker tuned for frequencies that an acoustic guitar makes.

i think electric guitar amps are really the only very specific amplifier that generate the tone - every other instrument creates its own tone fully. the electric guitar is dependent on the amp for certain types of tone. almost every other instrument can just go through a regular PA system (some need a mic). drum amps and keyboard amps are really just specialized "mini pa systems".

i still would not recommend them as amps/speakers for electric guitar modelers. you can use them, but it's not the best choice for sure.

What do you think of a bass cab with "Full Range" input and switch, such as the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger/Neo-212-II-2x12-600W-Bass-Cabinet-1273888005363.gc

Features
600W RMS/ 8 ohms
2x12" Paragon neodymium drivers
High quality horn tweeter
Horn bi-amp and passive crossover
Compact and lightweight
Front ported
11-ply poplar cabinet construction
Top-mounted easy-grip handle
Stackable corners
16-gauge steel grille
Speakon and 1/4" connectors
Black Tolex covering
Speakon cable included

Specifications

Frequency response: 36Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB
Sensitivity: 98dB
Crossover: HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuation
Connectors: HMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon, 1/4" (Full-range only)
Construction: 11-ply poplar, black Tolex, 16-gauge steel grille, custom-tooled interlocking corner system and front ported
Weight: 51 lb.
Dimensions: 24" W x 24"H x 16"D

i wouldn't say that necessarily. a drum amp IS designed with features specific to drums, or tuned a bit more for drums. same as a keyboard amp. they just happen to be very similar. same thing for an acoustic guitar amp - it's basically a full range speaker tuned for frequencies that an acoustic guitar makes.

i think electric guitar amps are really the only very specific amplifier that generate the tone - every other instrument creates its own tone fully. the electric guitar is dependent on the amp for certain types of tone. almost every other instrument can just go through a regular PA system (some need a mic). drum amps and keyboard amps are really just specialized "mini pa systems".

i still would not recommend them as amps/speakers for electric guitar modelers. you can use them, but it's not the best choice for sure.

What do you think of a bass cab with "Full Range" input and switch, such as the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger/Neo-212-II-2x12-600W-Bass-Cabinet-1273888005363.gc

Features
600W RMS/ 8 ohms
Compact and lightweight
Front ported
Stackable corners
16-gauge steel grille
Black Tolex covering
Speakon cable included

Specifications

Crossover: HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuation
Construction: 11-ply poplar, black Tolex, 16-gauge steel grille, custom-tooled interlocking corner system and front ported
bass amps tend to accentuate the low-mids, which is the "woofy" part of a guitar tone usually. i'd just stick with a full range speaker. again, you might tweak things to sound good if you need a bass amp for something else, but it's not ideal, i'd say.

Even for a guitar synth pedal? The bass cab I speak off actually has a dedicated full range input and switch, which I've never seen on other bass cabs.

bass amps tend to accentuate the low-mids, which is the "woofy" part of a guitar tone usually. i'd just stick with a full range speaker. again, you might tweak things to sound good if you need a bass amp for something else, but it's not ideal, i'd say.

bass amps are good for bass tones. if your synth pedal is for bass tones, then it will work. if it's not, then it will be a compromise. drum amps are good for drums. etc.

full range speakers are designed as a platform for everything.

Features
600W RMS/ 8 ohms
Compact and lightweight
Front ported
Stackable corners
16-gauge steel grille
Black Tolex covering
Speakon cable included

Specifications

Didn't we already answer this EXACT same question for you in another thread?

Back
Top Bottom