Would like some recommendations for powered studio monitors and headphones to use with the III

I am in a similar position as you. Currently using JBL LSR308's. Their not bad by any means but then again I have never listened to other monitors. I am thinking of getting a pair of Headrush 1x12's to replace the monitors. This way I can crank it up more and not have to worry about blowing monitors. Also, they are FRFR so it would work great for the III.

Anyone else using Headrush?

I've used all of these with great results. In increasing price order:

DT770 Pro
Focal Shape 40
Adam A7X + Sub 8
Focal Trio 6Be + Sub 6
ATC SCM 100

I'm selling my Focal trio + sub, if anyone is interested...

For headphones I like the Sennheiser HD6xx from Massdrop, similar to their HD650 I believe but a lot less money. I tried a bunch of headphones over the last couple years and these were the closest to sounding neutral to me.

For monitors I'm in the same boat. I have JBL LSR305's and looking to upgrade without spending A7X money. I find that the Sennheiser headphones give me a lot of detail but the JBL's seem to lose a lot of the midrange information, almost like they are a bit scooped. I was looking at the Yamaha series because when I listened to them at GC side by side the guitar was the most prominent with those. Now the overall sound wasn't as good for music but I think that detail would be beneficial for playing guitar anyway.

For headphones I like the Sennheiser HD6xx from Massdrop, similar to their HD650 I believe but a lot less money. I tried a bunch of headphones over the last couple years and these were the closest to sounding neutral to me.

For monitors I'm in the same boat. I have JBL LSR305's and looking to upgrade without spending A7X money. I find that the Sennheiser headphones give me a lot of detail but the JBL's seem to lose a lot of the midrange information, almost like they are a bit scooped. I was looking at the Yamaha series because when I listened to them at GC side by side the guitar was the most prominent with those. Now the overall sound wasn't as good for music but I think that detail would be beneficial for playing guitar anyway.

If your looking at Adam i think they have a new cheaper T series. For 2019 thats getting really good reviews
And youll save 300-400 on the pair

If your looking at Adam i think they have a new cheaper T series. For 2019 thats getting really good reviews
And youll save 300-400 on the pair

Yeah, I'm looking at those alongside the Yamahas and others like Focal. Need to get out and listen to them!

As a long time Axe user who has run my rig through a wide variety of speakers including Atomic CLR's, I am very happy with the HS8's.

I am using headphones Beyerdynamic Studio Custom, Adjustable bass reflex does the work for practising, recording, mixing and general music listening. Huge progress after several types of Senn’s.

Presonus Scepter S8s here, with very accurate and listenable results.

I need to upgrade on headphones, so I’ll be reading the replies in your thread with interest.

I recommend the A7Xs, especially if you buy now and know where to shop. At least one retailer on a big gear website has “Bstock” at a little over 500 per monitor. Everything B stock I’ve ordered from that retailer (including my A7Xs) is factory sealed and brand new. Short of that, I think the best tone would be through some nice open back headphones. I’ve tried the axe with some other monitors, and while it still sounds good, it didn’t sound like a very accurate tone.
I can also recommend the HD6XX headphones from massdrop.

I am in a similar position as you. Currently using JBL LSR308's. Their not bad by any means but then again I have never listened to other monitors. I am thinking of getting a pair of Headrush 1x12's to replace the monitors. This way I can crank it up more and not have to worry about blowing monitors. Also, they are FRFR so it would work great for the III.

Anyone else using Headrush?
I have the LSR305s and think they're excellent. But I'm picking up a pair of the Headrush FRFR 108s given the reviews and price. Gives me a decent gigging option.

I've used Adam A7x + Sub7 for 2 years and absolutely love them. Picked up a Headrush FRFR108 recently and very, very impressed. If I was starting on the Axe FX journey I'd get going with 2 x Headrush FRFR108's and not look back. I use AKG K245 open back headphones and they sound great to me.

Reviving this thread, as I'm looking for studio monitors. Does anyone ever sell the Adam A7X's in the U.S. for less than $1500 a pair? Can't seem to find anything lower, and the normal GC discounts don't apply.

I know this topic has been beat to death a bit, but are the Yamaha HS8's good enough for dialing in tones that translate across the usual range of club PA's? I'm dialing mine in now on my EV PA speakers, which must be really bass-heavy, because when I get to a gig, I'm really on the trebly/thin side from the house PA's.

Yes, HS8’s are Fantastic and accurate!
In this picture, you can see that I’m checking translation between HS8’s and frfr.
The key is fine tuning the high end for louder volumes than the studio. Just set up a global bass mid high on the units perform page. You’ll be able to compensate for different rooms. There is no need for the adam’s. I owned a much bigger studio before, and Yamahas are always the best in terms of accurate reference without spending 10k on Genelecs

Attachments

• BFD2CADF-FEEC-4B35-8898-A7AF7FF5B947.jpeg
    BFD2CADF-FEEC-4B35-8898-A7AF7FF5B947.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
For powered studio monitors i agree with others here the Yamaha HS-8's are great sounding. For headphones i am using AKG K712pro which sound fantastic.

Reactions: JD_
Yamaha

HS8-
Sounds great!!

although im usually plugged into my xitone
1x12 which sounds darker than the hs8s
But still fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom