Would I need a rack?

Valgua

Inspired
Hi! I have never owned a rack mounted unit, so forgive my ignorance. If I bought the AxeFx 3 it would sit on my desk. Should I still get some type of rack to mount it on? Are there advantages/disadvantages? Wouldn’t a rack cover the air exhaust of the unit (the holes on its side)?

Hi! I have never owned a rack mounted unit, so forgive my ignorance. If I bought the AxeFx 3 it would sit on my desk. Should I still get some type of rack to mount it on? Are there advantages/disadvantages? Wouldn’t a rack cover the air exhaust of the unit (the holes on its side)?
The rack protect it for scratches etc. And sometimes scratch it too if you put your axe without giving attention 😅. I use a retro gator that make it look like a head cause i find it nice. Depends if you want to put something on it or…

If you plan on taking & using it somewhere other than home, a rack is a wise choice. It also houses a power conditioner and power amp for playing real cabs.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a 'shielded' rack enclosure for their AXE-FX?
Just a guess,...I'm thinking this might help.. Maybe I'm all wrong.

My AXE-FX is situated close to my iMAC in my limited space studio.
I'm getting lots of buzzing, EM noise, unless I'm facing in a certain direction.
Even doing that does not eliminate 'ALL' the noise.

Last edited:
I followed a recommendation by someone here to shield my desktop rackholder using electrical tape along the rails and lining the mounting holes of each racked
component (+ double plastic washers). I use this style of tabletop rack holder for home use.

sprint...
My AXE-FX is sitting on my desk.. with no rack to do what you suggested, with my iMAC sitting on top of it.
More clearly... as stated before, studio workspace is limited. Hence, the way this is set up.

Last edited:
Just a guess,...I'm thinking this might help.. Maybe I'm all wrong.

My AXE-FX is situated close to my iMAC in my limited space studio.
I'm getting lots of buzzing, EM noise, unless I'm facing in a certain direction.
Even doing that does not eliminate 'ALL' the noise.
I get this too, but I suspect its the 17 miles rats nest of wiring behind my desk contributing to much of the noise.

Ive my axe fx underneath my monitor with no rack enclosure…

Definitely cover your desk or the axe if you go that route

The front corners of the ax3 have definitely scratched my desk ripping the paint off

Attachments

• D8957A66-5AE4-4F32-AD7E-F040D48D952F.jpeg
    D8957A66-5AE4-4F32-AD7E-F040D48D952F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
I was getting crazy buzzing and intermittent interference when the unit was too close to my computer desk.

Too much EMI in the area.
Pointing the headstock in different directions would yield differing degrees of interference.

I had to move the AF3 to the other side of the room.

I personally find it hard to NOT pick up a protective case for a pricey and delicate piece of electronic gear. If for no other reason than to minimize contact with dust and debris.

A Gator 4U rack case is not even $190. A tenth of the price of the unit, itself. Like buying a case/bag for a $2k guitar.
It pays.

Not only that but it also seemed wise to spend another $100 or so and grab a dedicated "power conditioner" (surge protection) to mount in the case with the AF3.

I'm glad I did and highly recommend it.

I was getting crazy buzzing and intermittent interference when the unit was too close to my computer desk.

Too much EMI in the area.
Pointing the headstock in different directions would yield differing degrees of interference.

I had to move the AF3 to the other side of the room.

I personally find it hard to NOT pick up a protective case for a pricey and delicate piece of electronic gear. If for no other reason than to minimize contact with dust and debris.

A Gator 4U rack case is not even $190. A tenth of the price of the unit, itself. Like buying a case/bag for a $2k guitar.
It pays.

Not only that but it also seemed wise to spend another $100 or so and grab a dedicated "power conditioner" (surge protection) to mount in the case with the AF3.

I'm glad I did and highly recommend it.
I went all in on power conditioning with a Furman AR 1800 voltage regulator. It was a lot of money but I have a lot of gear originating power from it, exponentially worth what the voltage regulator is worth. It’s worth it I think.

Back
Top Bottom