Would an FC-12 in this form factor ever become reality?

JanHaakma

Hi everyone!

I am a very happy new Fractal Axe FX3 user, great, great piece of gear. I never thought I would ever be this enthousiast about something else than a tube amp! I use it in a dual kind of way: for FOH and when using in-ear monitors I go direct out. For my own fun I use a matrix stereo power amp and two HOOK 1x12" cabinets (and still send stereo direct-out to FOH).

I do have a question for you guys, it's about the size/form factor of the FC-12 controller. I do not really like the really wide footprint, do you think Fractal would some day make a 3x4 switch version of it? I made a really quick (and dirty) image of what it could look like, see the attached picture... :)

Thank you all and have a nice day,

Jan

Attachments

• FC12 3x4.jpg
    FC12 3x4.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 49
I would say it’s rather doubtful as they current form factor of the fc6, fc12, fm3 and fm9 all share a similar chassis design, which no doubt helps with keeping costs down.

Making a new form factor would have new costs associated with tooling et al, not to mention current electronics boards and such maybe not fitting as well.

For what it’s worth, I like the 3x4 or 4x3 layout better than 2x6 as I find it easier to deal with more depth on a stage opposed to more width.

IIRC, from what I have read on the forum, the footswitch boards are modular, in groups of 3 switches. To do 4 × 3, the boards would need to run forward to backward, which would require a flat-topped enclosure (could be angled up in the rear, but still needs to be flat) to mount the switches. This would require a thicker gauge steel for the enclosure, as the bend in the current ones imparts strength to the enclosure.

If you have the materials and tools, you could punch/bend an enclosure and transfer the buttons, screens, and other guts into a 4 × 3 box....

Ok thank you :)

Well I guess I'll just go with the current FC-12. I have thought of building something myself indeed but if the switches are groups of 3, this will not be what I'd like: I like three horizontal rows of four switches. Not four horizontal rows of three :)

Thanks again!

IIRC, from what I have read on the forum, the footswitch boards are modular, in groups of 3 switches. To do 4 × 3, the boards would need to run forward to backward, which would require a flat-topped enclosure (could be angled up in the rear, but still needs to be flat) to mount the switches. This would require a thicker gauge steel for the enclosure, as the bend in the current ones imparts strength to the enclosure.

If you have the materials and tools, you could punch/bend an enclosure and transfer the buttons, screens, and other guts into a 4 × 3 box....

Wonder if they'd ever consider an FC3 then

Hi everyone!

I am a very happy new Fractal Axe FX3 user, great, great piece of gear. I never thought I would ever be this enthousiast about something else than a tube amp! I use it in a dual kind of way: for FOH and when using in-ear monitors I go direct out. For my own fun I use a matrix stereo power amp and two HOOK 1x12" cabinets (and still send stereo direct-out to FOH).

I do have a question for you guys, it's about the size/form factor of the FC-12 controller. I do not really like the really wide footprint, do you think Fractal would some day make a 3x4 switch version of it? I made a really quick (and dirty) image of what it could look like, see the attached picture... :)

Jan
I would like this form factor too

Hi everyone!

Jan
build a custom board and stack 2 fc6?

Back
Top Bottom