Would a pair of subwoofers help the bass presets sound better?

Megadebt

Experienced
I purchased AB's Bass Preset Pack. Would a pair of subwoofers help these presets sound better?

I was thinking of getting the Adam T10s's

Note: the room has wall's treated with bass traps, etc.

I use the Yamaha HS8S sub with the HS8 monitors. Along with guitar, I play bass, synths, edrums, and of course, recorded music through them. To me, just using the monitors without the sub is like using headphones. You can hear the bass, but you can't feel it, especially at lower volumes.

I set mine up to be just perceivable, much more than that and it can be overbearing to me.

One thing I found was that using a sub really makes low cuts necessary on guitar patches. They can get really dark and thumpy otherwise.

A pair of subwoofers? I can't see needing this unless you're going to be playing really loud.

Last edited:
Which speakers do you have to pair the subwoofers with.

I think a subwoofer is really difficult to control in a room. I had one at one point, and yes I could better hear the lowest note on my five string bass, but the entire frequency balance in the room was a bit off. That was before I really added acoustic treatment to my room

I’ve got Yamaha HS-5’s and needed a sub to be able to hear low end. I’d take a mix from my studio to my car and gasp because there was so much low end information in there that I just couldn’t hear in the studio.

I’ve got AB’s Bass Pack as well (the only presets I’ve ever paid for/used from another person) because I was having a nightmare of a time coming up with anything usable. Turned out it was my shitty Warwick bass, but I don’t regret buying the bass pack because there’s a bunch of cool stuff in there. They’re certainly not lacking in the lower range, so if you’re not hearing anything down there, it’s not because AB’s pack.

I’ve just got an entertainment system sub hooked up via the Headphone out of my mixer. I turn it up just enough so I can feel a kick drum hit my chest but not to the point you can hear an OOOOMMMM every time a bass, kick or toms are played. A little goes a long way.

I have a pair of Neumann KH 120 A - 5.25'' Active Studio Monitors. I was thinking about picking up a Sub too lately. Sad to say I've never owned a sub so have no idea which ones would pair well with my monitors. Any suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Dumb question:

How would I connect a sub in my setup:
Axe 3 is my main interface and I send output 1 to a pair of studio monitors.

Do you have to use the Axe's output 2? Do you use a crossover block before the output?

Dumb question:

How would I connect a sub in my setup:
Axe 3 is my main interface and I send output 1 to a pair of studio monitors.

Do you have to use the Axe's output 2? Do you use a crossover block before the output?

The Yamaha sub takes the stereo pair in, then passes the stereo pair out to the L&R speakers. I think a lot of studio subs work this way.

My AV sub just takes single a low passed signal from the AV amp. If you use this kind of sub, yeah, you'd have to make a lowpassed version of the signal. Outboard gear like eqs and crossovers also can make a sub signal.

If you presets need a sub to sound good, chances are they will not travel well to situations and venues where they are not offered.

The flip side of that is when I listen to recordings and clips on my sub-equipped system, I can tell when someone mixed or tweaked using a system with no bass, because the bass will be overhyped.

Back
Top Bottom