Would a Friedman BE-100 amp/full stack make a decent bedroom amp?

I ask a legitimate question and get called a name. Isn't it a forum rule not to make personal attacks? There is so much hate in this world these days.

I was told the Friedman has a great master volume, but that it could also be used on clean channel with a Dracarys pedal. Then if I ever play out it will be good. So, both a bedroom amp with Dracarys, then can also be used for my dream of playing in a band. I have always wanted a full stack like a rock star. I have been bullied my life because I'm not smart.

Dear forum members, please let people ask their questions and don't immediately jump on them.

To the OP: I've always understood that Friedman's amps indeed do have a great Master Volume, allowing them to be played at bedroom volume levels. Volume-wise 100w (BE-100) or 50w (BE-50) doesn't make a lot of difference. A 100-watter usually sounds more open, a 5-watter more compressed.

Having two 4x12s doesn't add anything to the sound / experience, unless you're planning on playing stereo. Be aware that many guitar speakers need some volume to "come alive", which won't happen at bedroom volume levels.

Would a Friedman BE-100 amp with two Friedman 4 x 12 cabs make a decent bedroom amp? Thanks!

I don't know what your local guitar shop is like, but mine has a couple of amp rooms (that are roughly the same size as my playing room) and they are great places to try something at bedroom volume. If they have the same amps/cabs, then that might be worth trying for yourself as this particular question is very down to personal opinion.

That said, there are some high level pros out there who have said they actually prefer a 2x12 over a 4x12 because the 2x12 is less boomy - but they are pushing full volume on a stage/studio though. I love my 2x12 cab for jamming at home, and it works well live too. So maybe try experiment with that before shelling out for huge cabs that might be a little overkill.

Here is a good discussion on that:
Woodshed25 Joe Bonamassa, Greg Koch, Brent Mason, Mark Lettieri, Andy Timmons, Andy Wood talk Guitar

Also, you might need to get an attenuator so you can drive the amp a little if you prefer that sound without breaking your eardrums.

I would save a lot of money and get a 5150 and two 412s for the suggested bedroom rig. Anything with a good master volume will do the job well. I had a mesa roadster and 412 as a bedroom rig in college, next to a baby's room in the next unit. 1 noise complaint in 2 years.

Do you plan to stack the cabs or have them side by side?

Reason for full stack is dream of playing one day in a band. Bedroom for now. When a person plays standing next to a full stack they become better. Being a rock star has a lot to do with image. Full stack, exxaggerate body moves, clothes, stuff like that. Have to pull it all together to pull it off. Can't be a heavy metal rock star with micro cube

I used to have a be100. Sounds great at bedroom volumes. Use the fx return on the rear panel as your vol control. For the money, axe fx is much better home rig though

Reason for full stack is dream of playing one day in a band. Bedroom for now. When a person plays standing next to a full stack they become better. Being a rock star has a lot to do with image. Full stack, exxaggerate body moves, clothes, stuff like that. Have to pull it all together to pull it off. Can't be a heavy metal rock star with micro cube

I wouldn't die on that hill. These days, you can plug a single pedal or a laptop into a PA and play an entire show where no one in the audience will know any different. Plenty of bands are doing it now. The only people who care about seeing gear at shows are other guitarist and they make a small percentage of an audience. (Except in the first few years when the only people watching your band are the other bands playing that night)

Furthermore, silent stages are becoming more and more prominent these days. Try lugging a single 4x12 cabinet into any club on Broadway in Nashville only to find you can turn your amp on 1 and only if it's facing the windows behind you with 10 blankets over it. This is a huge reason why modelers are in use as much as they are. For about 15 years I gigged with a 100 watt head/2x12 and never had an issue unless I had to deal with another guitarist cranking up too loud. If the venue has a PA, they pop a mic on your cab and you're good to go, you don't need a TON of stage volume to be heard.

Once people start gigging again, go to some local venues and see how they're doing it. In general, you don't get to play huge stages, where two 4x12's would make sense, right out of the gate. Hell, I'm considering two 1x12's for my next live rig and at the most it'll be two 2x12's which is still overkill in most situations and it's only for my own enjoyment as I'll be running those in stereo while sending FOH a mono signal. (Unless the venue has a stereo PA) .

The reason people are giving you grief is because we've all been through this stuff before. A full stack isn't realistic for volume reasons on most stages you end up playing, never the less a bedroom. While you CAN get great tones relying on the master volume, even in the case of a 4x12, to get the speakers really moving and aiding in your tone, you gotta crank it up a bit. There's great tones to be had a lower volumes without moving the speakers, but those generally don't translate well once you crank the amp up.

Back
Top Bottom