Worth upgrading from GT800FX to GT1000FX?

gitfruit

Inspired
Hi there,

I run the GT800FX into 2 Mesa Thiele cabs w/ EVM12L´s and find this a fantastic combo, but still wondering if there is improvement possible via the GT1000FX ? I really don´t need the extra power, its all about sound. Anyone compared these amps?
OTOH I tend to go the FRFR route in future since the AxeFxII really shines that way. Will any of the two Matrix amps into their passive wedges sound the same like the active versions? Hopefully Matt can chime in here.

Thanks

The GM50 and GT1000 will sound very similar :)
Therefore an active wedge with our GM series amp will sound similar to the passive version powered by the GT1000 series.
Hope this helps.
If you would rather I call you just pop an email to me (Matt@matrixamplification.com) with your phone number :)

Best regards
Matt

I would tend to disagree. I think if you are playing through 2x12 or 4x12 cabs and want that traditional Tube Amp feel happening then it might be worth it to upgrade. However in a FRFR situation, the GT800 is killer. It is flat and does its job very very well. With some tweaking in the Axe power amp section you can get an amazing feel and you should not be missing tooooooo much. However that is just my opinion. I supply both so I try my best to be unbiased.. With that said I just lent both to Chris Broderick and he did prefer the GT1000. However he does play through the return of Marshall heads and 4x12s.... So draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
This is quite an Interesting subject to me, as I'm using the Axe II into a VHT power amp and a 4x12 marshall cab. The other day I A/B'd my VHT at full gigging volume against a Matrix GT800FX. In the Axe II I had the power amp sims ON. I'd done this before with an Ultra & the VHT, but the power amp sims in the Axe II are more prominent, so it was an interesting test. The result to my ears was that the sound was VERY close. However the VHT had a sort of sweetness and liveliness across the midrange that was missing from the GT800. All the bass and treble was there on the Matrix, just this sort of nondescript, and somewhat muffled midrange. Not to say I couldn't dial that in on the Axe II, but now, I'm wondering how the GT1000 differs in this respect?

Back
Top Bottom