Worth getting AXE iii in 2020?

No one knows for sure but the guys at Fractal themselves when a 4 might release. And if they did, they wouldn't want to announce it until it's close to ready so it won't hurt the sales of the III (which are still going strong, if the current wait-list is any indication. Stronger than the Covid affected supply chain at least).

But the other thing I'd say is the II came out in 2011. And proceeded to get firmware updates and hardware revisions until the III came out in 2018. And it doesn't feel like the III is close to being held back by hardware yet, so I'm not sure what a 3.1 would even bring to the table right now.

So in my opinion, the III has a lot of life left in it. And even if a IIImarkII is just around the corner, I doubt you'll be missing out on much. And a 4 is years away.

We're only 2 years into the Axe-FX III. The II got updates for 8 years. The ultra got got updates for like 4 or 5. There very well might be other Fractal products in the pipeline but the III is going to be king of the hill for a VERY long time. I don't see a market for a more powerful device when the III is complete overkill for almost anyone. If you have the money, buy it now. Live your best life.

Same thing will happen to you when you bought III, should there be forthcoming release 4,5..etc.?
Some people wait long long time the release of color tv in the era of black and white tv...
Please remember the man died yesterday missed to live just one day more..it's today.

Actually, unless this pandemic thing is having a toll on your personal finances (and of course, hoping you a yours are safe and healthy), I think this is the best time to get the Axe Fx III. At $1999 (US-based price, of course) I consider it a steal, specially compared with the price it was launched at and what previous generations were sold for.

Last edited:
Would it be cheaper to come to the US, buy one and take it home with you?
its the currency conversion from CAD to USD that hurts either way. I remember around 15 yrs ago ,IRC, there was a short time we were on par. I dream that happens again and i'll snatch a III

Totally, but if you are a gigging/working musician I say sit on your hands and keep the II and Ultra as backup as there is a slight hicup in availability right now.

As for Axe-Fx IV, apparantly Cliff broke his windows computer so I dont see that happening anytime soon :D

Back
Top Bottom