Worst Thing About Axe-Fx III is Location Confinement

I switched to using a FRFR 2x12 cab and place the Axe FX on top in a gator case so its like a head and 2x12. Put wheels on the cab and you can just scoot it around.

A Marshall or Mesa half stack with pedalboard are infinitely more awkward and heavy to move than Axe-FX III, FC, and FRFR.

Put your Fractal in a wheeled road case, put your FRFR on wheels and roll with it.

It's much more portable than a half stack or full stack or Fender Twin.

If Fractal setup is too heavy, get the little Bias toy or one of the Yamaha THR series for the other room.

We need to discuss these things with some sense of historical perspective.

How are people seriously suggesting to buy another unit in order to be able to play in a different room. hahaha
It's not the size of a fridge, come on...

At the moment, the portable amp stand only works well with headphones; keeps everything at arms length and moves easy enough.

I suppose a wireless unit could help.

Problem is one would need a really long USB cable to still utilize Axe Edit.
IMG_20210210_083238.jpg

So you run some cables into the living room and connect to some kind of FRFR there. People on here talk about buying brand new Fractal units as if they cost nothing more than a bag of peanuts. Just sounds ridiculous to me.

Multiple solutions. 2nd unit is the easiest - no one said it was cheap or the most logical option.

Mine stays put, i dont have the issue.

I never said it was difficult to move the Axe 3. The challenge is moving everything it's attached to, especially the studio monitors. None of the rolling options I can find are wide enough to accommodate them, so as people suggested I'm going to try an FRFR speaker instead. I've always used monitors so I didn't consider that as an option, but I can see some advantages with that, like not requiring as precise of a setup as studio monitors. Problem solved, /end thread.

For noodling on the couch, I have a little Yamaha THR10X. A friend of mine has those Boss headphones, and I've thought about a set. While I've had my III in a 4U case, and it's easy to move that way, I wouldn't want to haul monitors and other crap with it. It would be a headphones only situation.

I know said solved and can close thread but just wondering.....Can the output of an AXE3 be run effectively with cheap guitar wireless units to send sound to monitors or a FRFR in another room or would there be poor quality and latency issues.

Or if the room has an ajoining wall run cables thru if it can be done neatly.

I ask because I see these cheap guitar wireless units on Amazon often and some even look like they came out of the X-Vive factory but with generic cosmetics for like $30-40 a set. I was wondering if the room to move to if this could work if a person picked up generic monitors for 2nd room if it was not too far away or a FRFR wedge etc.

If I was looking to do this I would just order one or two Behringer Truth 2031 monitors on sale for $179. That would be enough to jam loud and sound good enough and powerful enough. Not Adam good but at the cost of a pedal or two pedals if you need stereo.

A nice shallow rack case would be nice to but no one is going to try and tackle you in the house. Should be able to make it to the next room intact. The AXE was designed with two handles already on it. Save the cash and by the second stereo monitor. Two with tax for under $400.

A wedge or whatever size FRFR is cool too but if your not gigging then you have monitor options for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. You can hook the monitors up to your phone to listen to tunes too when not jamming or not too. Just a thought. Win/win.

Or just knock a hole in the wall like the Aerosmith/Run DMC “Walk This Way” video for a more open concept home.

Last edited:
Thinking about it some more, the most efficient solution is probably to hire a guitar tech/roadie. I mean if you have to units, that's two units to upgrade firmwares on etc. Yeah I'd get a roadie :)

Just tried a wireless guitar connection, hooked the AxeFx 3 to the Sonos multiroom, Teamviewer on a tablet.... works ok, apart from the added lag... :)

Reactions: DLW
Back
Top Bottom