Worship Service in Florianopolis w/ Quantum

I know it's off topic, but what does a typical setlist look like? (Yes, I could google it, but rather hear from the folks here playing every week.)

Ron - here was our church's setlist from last week. Believe it or not, the Hillsong ones are all different "bands", just same name for the collective worship bands that get the credit (confusing I know):

"Here For You" - Matt Redman
"Forever Reign" - Hillsong United
"This I Believe (The Creed)" - Hillsong
"Cornerstone" - Hillsong Live

I apologize for the video quality, our encoder at church messed up the timing with the audio > video. Ryder (doppelgänger is Jesus) is the main worship pastor at the church and he is the one I am convincing to buy an AX8 ;)

[video=vimeo;140593739]https://vimeo.com/140593739[/video]

Agree with that. I enjoy some of the world class class worship guitarists like Lincoln, Tommy Walker, etc. They can hang with anybody. Sometimes the more recent contemporay stuff (not from them) sounds very repetitive and "formula" (AC30 and variants, dotted 8th on everything, Grestch or Duesenberg, sometimes Tele). Just MHO

I'm sort of interested in this. Looks like many Churches are going about it the right way in terms of bringing a younger set in...

I know it's off topic, but what does a typical setlist look like? (Yes, I could google it, but rather hear from the folks here playing every week.)

Some sources of music for our church are more-or-less unique: IHOP-KC songs [translated to Portuguese of course], old hymns that have been musically rearranged, and many original songs here in Brazil (various Brazilian styles: Reggae, Bagode, Bossa Nova, Samba). However, the Hillsong/Bethel/Gateway/Tomlin/Redman/etc also get a lot of setlist action.

[Disclaimer: this is a "religious" paragraph below. Beware....]
The point for all this, at least as I see it, is not to simply put on an entertaining show (though it looks/sounds cool), but to help people connect with God through music. There is a spiritual element that is unique to the Christian faith in congregational "worship." The God we worship actually lives in us (we aren't God, but His Spirit lives in us to confirm our adoption as His sons/slavation), and what we long for is to connect with God by the Holy Spirit. We use music as a means of connecting with God in a greater way. We do this (worshipping God with music) as we see it modeled in heaven (Revelation ch 4 & 5), and on earth (David's tabernacle). So, my music choices are made with this in mind, not simply what I think will sound fantastic.

So as to not sound negative, I should have added - as a lead guitarists for a very large Texas mega church, the AXE-FX is awesome for worship, as I have the ability to instantly use any of the amps from popular worship songs from the last decade or so. I could never afford to buy all the amps that I use weekly to cover these songs (Vox, Matchless, Morgan, Marshalls, Fenders, etc).

So as to not sound negative, I should have added - as a lead guitarists for a very large Texas mega church, the AXE-FX is awesome for worship, as I have the ability to instantly use any of the amps from popular worship songs from the last decade or so. I could never afford to buy all the amps that I use weekly to cover these songs (Vox, Matchless, Morgan, Marshalls, Fenders, etc).

Funny, my reasons for the AxeFx II were somewhat that, but moreso that I always had trouble getting my Mesa MkIII to sound right through the FOH. At the time, our sound tech was mediocre, and I had little to no control over tweaking my channel once it went to the main board. So now, I love handing my sound tech to XLR ends and saying, "just run everything at noon." This way, the sound tech has one less thing to worry about (only running my fader), and I am really satisfied with my FOH and monitored tone.

Same here. And I could almost never turn any of my amps (including Mesa MkIII) loud enough to sound good, as amps were all on stage in the "old days" before putting amps off stage in iso boxes or sound proof rooms as is the norm today. But now with Axe-Fx, just of couple of xlr's to FOH (using IEM), and done!

Thanks guys, nice thread. This kind of worship is something I'm try to introduce in my church and since we a have a nice priest maybe this could be the good time ;)

A little off topic but anyone here using Mainstage with tracks from sites like Loop Community and if so, how well does it work for you?

A little off topic but anyone here using Mainstage with tracks from sites like Loop Community and if so, how well does it work for you?

I've considered trying Loop Community, but haven't pulled the trigger. Although I've got Reason and Logic, I'm really into analog synths/drum machines right now (i.e. Korg Volca series)

Last edited:
I play for "The Brook" in Tomball, Texas. Today our service included the following:
Open Up The Heavens (Vertical Church Band)
There is Power (Lincoln Brewster)
Whom Shall I Fear (Tomlin)
Revelation Song (Kari Jobe)
Better Then (Vineyard Music and Casey Corum)

I play directly into the board as does everyone. Drums are acoustic kit that is in an isolation booth. It's all IEM. No amps/speakers on stage at all.

I play for "The Brook" in Tomball, Texas. Today our service included the following:
Open Up The Heavens (Vertical Church Band)
There is Power (Lincoln Brewster)
Whom Shall I Fear (Tomlin)
Revelation Song (Kari Jobe)
Better Then (Vineyard Music and Casey Corum)

I play directly into the board as does everyone. Drums are acoustic kit that is in an isolation booth. It's all IEM. No amps/speakers on stage at all.
fairly small world, i play for Hope City in Houston

[Disclaimer: this is a "religious" paragraph below. Beware....]
The point for all this, at least as I see it, is not to simply put on an entertaining show (though it looks/sounds cool), but to help people connect with God through music. There is a spiritual element that is unique to the Christian faith in congregational "worship." The God we worship actually lives in us (we aren't God, but His Spirit lives in us to confirm our adoption as His sons/slavation), and what we long for is to connect with God by the Holy Spirit. We use music as a means of connecting with God in a greater way. We do this (worshipping God with music) as we see it modeled in heaven (Revelation ch 4 & 5), and on earth (David's tabernacle). So, my music choices are made with this in mind, not simply what I think will sound fantastic.

Well put. I used to be so turned off by churches that put alot into the presentation. I just always assumed that was to make up for lack of substance. In some cases it may be accurate but I also see where for me to just assume such was wrong. I spent many years away from regular church attendance for reasons like this but in the end I realize it was all excuses because I was being selfish and though I was saved i wasn't ready to surrender to God. I was invited to the church I go to now by someone who obviously cared about me. I found a home now, our worship experiences are big and loud and impressive like you guys, I told myself this time I would let God tell me if this is the right place for me. Yea I was thrown off by the production but I plugged into the church and I know this churches heart and I now understand that the production is really twofold. A-it brings people in, young people especially though the older generations seem to like it too and B- it helps some become more engaged in worship. I know that I am more likely to sing praise LOUD and open up more in this setting than say in a more quiet environment. In the end I think it's all about being the conduit to help people connect with God.

I don't play in the worship band but God bless those of you who do. Your service makes a difference in people's weeks/lives more than you know.

it brings people in, young people especially though the older generations seem to like it too

Yeah its funny how sometimes there is a bit of a fuss from the older, traditional generations about having an electric guitar and drums on stage. It's great that we can allow for younger generations now and get the more modern worship stuff flowing. Much better for the youth side of our Church! And a great excuse for me to crank up the Marshall on my XL to melt faces!! :D:D

Awesome thread. good to hear their are other like minded believers on this board that are using their talent to play praise and worship music. I play in a Christian rock band myself. We play stuff like Skillet, Kuttless, Switchfoot. We want to start playing youth group concerts soon and doing our part to bring the youth back off the streets and into the church. I spent the 80's in secular rock bands playing Bars, clubs and small concerts opening for signed bands and it just left me empty. Time for a new approach to my life and my music....

Back
Top Bottom