FM9 Working on a Cliffs of Dover preset

Well done! Well done! You sound great! My compliments on your playing. I would love to see a video of your thought process with this preset. It really is the best I have heard. The idea that you hear something that needs to be perfected haunts me a little — cause I don’t hear it.

Well done! Well done! You sound great! My compliments on your playing.
Thanks man (and everyone else commenting on the tones and playing). Playing-wise, I’ve worked on this on and off for years so sometimes I feel pretty deflated with my progress haha.

I would love to see a video of your thought process with this preset. It really is the best I have heard. The idea that you hear something that needs to be perfected haunts me a little — cause I don’t hear it.

Thanks again. I mean, I was super zoomed in on the minutia throughout. At one point, I think the tone was closer when listening back but it felt worse under the fingers.

Dang!!! That's a really sweet and pretty much spot on tone! ... I'm just over here checking to see if there are any updates about the FM9's availability (since I finally have the money) .... and I start browsn' through the threads! Very cool and great work!!!!

Damn, that sounds great, man!

very inspired, home run share, made me happy and feeling good watching and listening! going to play again...
Cheers,

Dang!!! That's a really sweet and pretty much spot on tone! ... I'm just over here checking to see if there are any updates about the FM9's availability (since I finally have the money) .... and I start browsn' through the threads! Very cool and great work!!!!

Thanks you guys. Appreciate the comments.

Updating to 2.02 from 1.00 did change things a bit. I’ll have to poke through some settings again before possibly sharing.

FYI on the 77% CPU usage:

That has an extra Output for reamping and a PEQ not in use. Removing them gets it to 74%

There’s a Tube Driver in there that I also didn’t end up using. Down to 69%

There’s a Formant barely doing anything audible. Removing it to gets to 67%

Both IR’s used are UltraRes because I slightly prefer it. Both could be made Standard to get to 57%

Weird question but has anyone ever had success running EJs tone or an EJ esque tone live in a cover band playing all types of music? Asking because i love the tone but whenever i hear him live with other guitarists (at least in the videos i watched) his tone kind of gets drowned out. You can change some eqs or other factors but then you risk losing the characteristics of his tone. Maybe just kick in some drive and volume boosts?

Weird question but has anyone ever had success running EJs tone or an EJ esque tone live in a cover band playing all types of music? Asking because i love the tone but whenever i hear him live with other guitarists (at least in the videos i watched) his tone kind of gets drowned out. You can change some eqs or other factors but then you risk losing the characteristics of his tone. Maybe just kick in some drive and volume boosts?
I don't think EJ's tone works very well with other guitar tones... I have the same thoughts regarding when he plays with other guitarists.

I don't think EJ's tone works very well with other guitar tones... I have the same thoughts regarding when he plays with other guitarists.
Interesting. So you dont think it would work well in a cover band as the only guitarist? Or only if another guitarist is involved or guitar tracks?

I’ve seen him with his own band and doing solos in an ensemble setting, like the Hendrix tour, and his sound doesn’t cut through very well with other guitars on stage.

They compare his sound to a violin, but it’s more like a cello, rich and full, but harder to make out in a crowd. When he’s in those situations I’d like him to use his clean settings into his Marshalls with them dimed. That’d cut through.

It's built to be the centerpiece for sure, at least his lead tone. Not a lot of top end definition or cut, it's just a subtle edge. Unless he's front and center, it's going to get buried.
Yeah i dont think it will work across various rock songs from 70s 80s or 90s. It just gets buried. Absolutely shines when solo or for lighter music. I still love it the same either way and is fun to experiment with it :)

Interesting. So you dont think it would work well in a cover band as the only guitarist? Or only if another guitarist is involved or guitar tracks?
As a solo guitar in a cover band his sound works… for Eric Johnson songs. For R&B or funk, not so much.

If there’s another guitarist then EQ is going to be important. Finding a way to fit that fat lead sound into a band bigger than a trio means narrowing the sound so it’d lose some of what Johnson counts on, the ability to fill the stage.

Back
Top Bottom