Workbench/Desks?

I have an Ikea desk. I built a little riser for my display and monitors and that gave me a little extra room. It's not bad, whole thing was under $100. But I'd like to get one of those desks with rack mounting and monitors flying off the side too.

48528207742_1f0b273f0b_b.jpg

I have two of those Ikea tables. Lol. My primary desk is a 5ft Jarvis stand/sit desk that has a under-desk mount for my mid-tower PC, dual monitors up top. The ikea tables go off to the side, making an L shaped desk w/ the Jarvis. One Ikea table for my guitar equipment, one for my workbench (soldering and whatnot). I do have a full time day job I do at the same desk so I keep it fairly clear except for my bookshelf monitors.

Thanks, @AlGrenadine ! How do you find the height of the monitors in practical use? I know that elevated monitors are pretty common with studio desks, but I've always wondered if you feel like you're always looking 'up' to see what's happening, making edits, etc.

Thanks, @AlGrenadine ! How do you find the height of the monitors in practical use? I know that elevated monitors are pretty common with studio desks, but I've always wondered if you feel like you're always looking 'up' to see what's happening, making edits, etc.
It felt a bit uncomfortable at the beginning but now i'm used to it and don't like having screens at the same height as keyboard...

I have an Ikea desk. I built a little riser for my display and monitors and that gave me a little extra room. It's not bad, whole thing was under $100. But I'd like to get one of those desks with rack mounting and monitors flying off the side too.

Thanks to Jarick for giving me the idea of investing in the OnStage Rack. It's pretty solid!

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66

What is the model of the desk ?

What is the model of the desk ?

Ikea LINNMON table top 59" version ($30)
Ikea ADILS legs (4 x $4 = $16)
Ikea LACK shelf 43" version ($20)
Ikea CAPITA legs ($13)

The regular desk legs screw right into the table top in about two minutes, so that's easy. For the riser, it's not technically supposed to be used like this but it's really easy to modify. I basically drilled little pilot holes for the screws on the bottom and screwed the legs to the bottom of the shelf. That took about 20 minutes maybe.

I'm still using this desk and generally like it, although my monitor is too high and there's not enough room for the speakers. I'm planning to get some iLoud micro monitors instead.

My office/studio after some pandemic re-organizing. I sprang for the nicer IKEA motorized sitting/standing desk, for reasons relating to having something high enough to put a keyboard underneath but also to inspire a little less ass-sitting. It even connects to a phone app to raise it up and down and save my favorite settings. The design accommodates an 88-note controller which is on an inexpensive rolling stand I found on Amazon, this way I can tuck it away but have it at a good playing height. Most desks are too low.

IMG_1423.JPG

I thought about the Platform desk but the 3 1/2 to 4 month wait is just too much. Also, the pull out keyboard tray would be long enough for a full sized 88 keyboard I was also looking into. There are people on Youtube that have made there own "Platform" desk and put the plans out there. May just make my own and large enough to hold the keyboard I was looking at.

I thought about the Platform desk but the 3 1/2 to 4 month wait is just too much. Also, the pull out keyboard tray would be long enough for a full sized 88 keyboard I was also looking into. There are people on Youtube that have made there own "Platform" desk and put the plans out there. May just make my own and large enough to hold the keyboard I was looking at.

I ordered a Platform a few months ago, I think coming up on two months this week. We'll see what happens. It said 9-12 weeks when I ordered it.

I know I've watched a video of someone making one on there, and he documented his steps really well. He took a lot of time, did it right, but he also had, or had access to, a lot of tools. Just buying a router and bits to do everything right isn't cheap. Plus wood. Plus, time is worth something as well. Looks like it took him a few days of working on it. I'd like one a slightly larger as well. I did one up in SolidWorks, making some changes, a little taller, larger in a few places. I know if I decided that's how I was going to go, it would take me more than 9-12 weeks to get off my ass, start it, and then get around to finishing it. The Platform won't be perfect, but I'll have it.

Back
Top Bottom