Work Station question

jzgtrguy

Inspired
Hi,

I'm trying to build a work station where I can run my AX-8 through some monitors along with backing tracks or Youtube videos etc. I got a splitter cable from 1/8" to two 1/4 inch and ran from my computer to the FX loop in the AX 8. I can stream from my computer but not both the AX-8 and the computer at the same time.

Anyone know how to do this? Do I need an interface or some sort of little mixer? What I want to do is stream some backing tracks to play against and to learn some new tunes.

I have a Yamaha head phone pre amp MG06 but that doesn't seem to work with the monitors either.

Rp7hyg71vJ05C9xiWCM3Xg8iOOYCNSvf4sf6f-UKX42pJQrTnnu3Oz_Zxjh0-N1cNIcTctCnTPpEryy_IsAbCGnkngVAJy959vLJZEFjUMn3VjIDB3vDJqm5f80dPePhERbHcuvxYCrjaOSsOs9XuGpHbrjxy9U1GqJWq6ukEWDeiL1uWbElb58g9zfD5sepnuOMAT7-_IJ0ru-ejQC0xpLj-heBcE7ZyJhtbPqyI3LBD2gsJRbr7deymOTtBE8Rry31PWYN3YIK2bNaSjhBwhyu2Gqv_PK97rL0VCLFU3srhcHMTGIiLa9YchgBSZW8KQvTwStUthIC6Y9OAED1Vrw0xyydRNwya6IhwkZala34NcobGBQgrpUD92jiL6Etc10JuEYkNb5-UfLDMH2UqLevhob6HiBJMcF4Vj4_Otw8rgOxtBGDg_wsP6_th60jtrbVWTR_X9uRRAvsaSWcA5t7F7rs8eTyDcC-wWoGI0G4wgnxVp5a1VpRXo_KLVGx8Ktp3aJA2UL3r5VnjZSB_BqkEk-Hfa0STvLCNisXaKlFCL5kGG_r6TckekvBYGSh8E7YqGY1DOAkiS59GPnp96ju_LCLEvB3QzxpJdwozPXOw5zKp5zOIwMiakp6swevbc2_NFYh7nlUiWpPKvLpKc6m8w=w651-h867-no

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
It's a life and death situation.
If I play the same stupid licks again It could be curtains for me! LOL

Not sure I understand this but seems like you could just run AX8 xlr or 1/4” jacks into ch 1 and 2 on your mixer and then run your computer into either 3/4 or 5/6 on the mixer. Then either use headphones out on the mixer or run the stereo out to your monitors. Am I missing something?

That's what I do with a little 4 channel mixer. Works fine. BTW my girlfriend made me order some curtains on Amazon last week. When the box came, everyone in the office got very tired of hearing me say "it's curtains for me."

Yep.. as @bo13bo said..
I have a Mackie VLZ 12-ch mixer next to my PC.
I have the audio out from the PC's audio connected/split to PC speakers and 2 ch's on mixer. I seldom use the Axe as my sound card.
L/R from Axe go to 2 more channels on Mackie.
Blend to taste.
Outputs are to Event Studio Reference monitors and/or headphones.
I can use one or the other or both and blend levels from Axe + PC for practice, etc.
Works great.. been using this config for about 10 yrs now.

Hi,

I'm trying to build a work station where I can run my AX-8 through some monitors along with backing tracks or Youtube videos etc. I got a splitter cable from 1/8" to two 1/4 inch and ran from my computer to the FX loop in the AX 8. I can stream from my computer but not both the AX-8 and the computer at the same time.

Anyone know how to do this? Do I need an interface or some sort of little mixer? What I want to do is stream some backing tracks to play against and to learn some new tunes.

I have a Yamaha head phone pre amp MG06 but that doesn't seem to work with the monitors either.
that mixer should "work" with your speakers. what isn't working?

a mixer takes multiple signals and mixes them to one or more outputs. ax8 into the mixer, computer into the mixer, mixer output to speakers. pretty standard.

what does "stream" from your computer mean? why can you not do "both the ax8 and computer and the same time"?

how are you connecting to the monitors now?

Yep.. as @bo13bo said..
I have a Mackie VLZ 12-ch mixer next to my PC.
I have the audio out from the PC's audio connected/split to PC speakers and 2 ch's on mixer. I seldom use the Axe as my sound card.
L/R from Axe go to 2 more channels on Mackie.
Blend to taste.
Outputs are to Event Studio Reference monitors and/or headphones.
I can use one or the other or both and blend levels from Axe + PC for practice, etc.
Works great.. been using this config for about 10 yrs now.
Side note: that describes most of what I need for home practice/tweaking/beta testing (I’m also using Event monitors (ASP8)). If I could find a dumb line mixer that can handle six stereo ins, with a master volume and separate, completely independent headphone level, all in a small box, I’d be set. :)

@jzgtrguy : these guys nailed it. Just send every source to your mixer, and send your mixer to your monitors. Done.

Back
Top Bottom