Wordclock/SPDIF in

plyall

Power User
Folks -

Is there any way to tell whether the AXE FX III is clocking internally, or to the SPDIF clock? I'd like to know because I have been chasing some sync ghosts (always fun) around my studio, and I'd like to know that the AXE is running off of word clock for sure (and even better, at what rate).

Is there such a capability?

Thanks!

While that's sometimes true, I'm looking for a setting/status that I can view that shows the clock rate and source (SPDIF/AES).

Also, my understanding is that if the AXE loses external sync, it will fail over to internal sync. That could cause its own problems, unless you're recording in the analog domain (not via USB).

Since no one else is replying I'll take a stab at it. The Axe only runs at 48k so that's the sample rate it's at & all other devices & DAW project should be at 48k unless you have either hardware or software on the fly sample rate conversion. If there are no physical connections to AES/SPDIF, the Axe is not clocking by either. How are your devices connected? Mac or PC? If Mac, here's an article about setting up an aggregate device which include setting a master clock for all the connected devices. Depending on what your other devices are, it's could be the Axe would be the best quality clock.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

What I'm really looking for is confirmation that the Axe III is receiving proper clocking from a SPDIF source, even when that source isn't selected as the input. I am using a Mac and an aggregate device, with appropriate clocking master chosen. I just need to know what the Axe III sees. FWIW, I do have my clock master set at 48K.

In the case of 'best clock', you may be right (Cliff seems to nail this stuff), but I also have a dedicated studio master clock (Lucid GENx6-96) that I usually prefer to use. Right now, it may be on the blink (or I have two bad cables), so that's essentially my reason for wanting to see what the Axe III is seeing. I have been chasing what I believe might be some clocking errors in the studio, and I have to verify that the Axe III is locking to the proper clock.

If Input 1 Source = SPDIF/AES, SPDIF/AES input signal gets used as clock source.

If Input 1 source = Analog or USB, clock source depends on "Word Clock" setting.
Auto = internal clock
SPDIF/AES = SPDIF/AES input used as clock source

With SPDIF/AES input as clock source, the Axe will display "no input clock" if it can't sync. Note that it can sync to other samplerates near 48k (like 44.1k) but won't be working/sounding quite as intended. To avoid this make sure the SPDIF signal (other device's samplerate) is 48k.

Back
Top Bottom