WORD OF CAUTION!!!

For all new users using axe-edit. Be very careful with the preset manager. I was doing some work on my presets yesterday before rehearsal, after upgrading to 9.03. Axe edit went over almost twenty of the presets that i use all the time, thankfully. I went to save bank A at the end of what i was doing. BIG mistake! I wiped out over 100 presets, completely blanked em. My main Cornford patch as well as one of my favorite clean sounds were among the casualties. Sucks to be me. Don't want this to happen to anyone else, so i urge you guys to be cautious with this software.

Anyone who is going to use Axe-Edit in it's current beta state should back up their presets using a plain ol' tried and true sysex librarian (e.g. Bome's SendSX or MIDI Ox).

Wow, that sucks...

I would like to offer more tips but currently my brain is somewhat clouded by the volcanic ashes coming down all the way from Iceland.

You need to remember this while this software is still BETA.

Tom King said:
A new version of Axe-Edit is available for download via the Fractal Audio web site: http://www.fractalaudio.com

This contains numerous bug fixes that were deemed worth sharing while the main effort is focused on the rework of preset manager.

As always, please remember that this entire application is still in beta. There will be bugs. Let me reiterate (from a former post) that if you aren’t familiar with what’s involved in using a beta or excited about finding bugs and willing to live with them, you should perhaps wait until the official release. We appreciative bug reports and your constructive, pertinent suggestions in the official topic for this purpose:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12711

It is also worth repeating that while we feel that we’re releasing a yet more stable build to into public beta, we can’t emphasize enough how important it is to back up your presets and settings before using Axe-Edit. If you can’t find the time to back up your system please DON’T use the application!

Thank you to all the forum members who have been patient, encouraging and who have provided valuable feedback on features and bugs. It has been very helpful and appreciated.

Please read the release notes and readme thoroughly before you jump in.

Thanks,

-TK

The term 'SAVE' should not be used when sending patches or banks to the Axe-FX unit.

The expectation of 'SAVE' is that it will save to your hard drive.

I noticed this when using the editor and had a feeling it would lead to problems for someone.

porieux said:
The term 'SAVE' should not be used when sending patches or banks to the Axe-FX unit.

The expectation of 'SAVE' is that it will save to your hard drive.

I noticed this when using the editor and had a feeling it would lead to problems for someone.

Hmm, dunno, for me "SAVE" button on Axe Edit was always related to the unit itself, not HD or anything.
PResets as they are have their purpose only in the unit and saving edited preset seems logical to me
that it means saving on the unit but that's just me.
"EXPORT" on the other hands seems more logical in meaning export someplace else and not in the unit
but that just me once again.

But yeah, editor is full of options and could make some problems without enough experience with it,
I remember first time I tried it (luckily before I got my AxeFx) and when I saw
all those options like save, export, backup, sync, preset manager, preset this, preset that...holy...I almost lost it...

Matt_B said:
Anyone who is going to use Axe-Edit in it's current beta state should back up their presets using a plain ol' tried and true sysex librarian (e.g. Bome's SendSX or MIDI Ox).
+1

I do this EVERY time prior to even opening Axe Edit. Sorry for your data loss.

yek said:
Wow, that sucks...

I would like to offer more tips but currently my brain is somewhat clouded by the volcanic ashes coming down all the way from Iceland.
I'm sorry for all that but I guess we had to tap off some of that hot air that inflated our economy. :(

It's not just Axe-Edit. If you have ANYTHING that is computer related, that is of any importance to you, whether it is your Axe-Fx presets, digital photos, Word documents, whatever, Back It Up!

Backing up is a much easier process than recreating. Besides, somethings just can't be recreated. Like that elusive perfect Hendrix preset you made, or that picture of you and that donkey on your Mexican vacation after downing that bottle of Tequlia...

It's ironic that SAVING causes some to lose data. Save is supposed to preserve. It's a variant of the word SAFE which originally meant "uninjured." Kind of funny in a very painful way. I'm sorry.

I think export or "Send to Axe" would be better terms for this action.

Laedan Kiana said:
For all new users using axe-edit. Be very careful with the preset manager. I was doing some work on my presets yesterday before rehearsal, after upgrading to 9.03. Axe edit went over almost twenty of the presets that i use all the time, thankfully. I went to save bank A at the end of what i was doing. BIG mistake! I wiped out over 100 presets, completely blanked em. My main Cornford patch as well as one of my favorite clean sounds were among the casualties. Sucks to be me. Don't want this to happen to anyone else, so i urge you guys to be cautious with this software.

I did the exact same thing last week! Luckily did have a backup from a few months ago, so it wasn't a complete loss. My wife wasn't happy because my "Honey, I just need to work on some guitar stuff for about 20 minutes" turned into 2 days of trying to recreate presets for a gig. An upside to this is my presets sound better now since they have been reworked. I completely forgot about backing up with Borne. Will definitely do that next time!

tgunn said:
yek said:
Wow, that sucks...

I'm sorry for all that but I guess we had to tap off some of that hot air that inflated our economy. :(

Ahem.
Lots of bad news from Iceland for us poor Dutchmen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Luckily I'm not rich enough to have any savings! Or to go flying!

Kidding again!

Back on topic! That does suck.

BTW, the backup and sync function does work very well nowadays, at least the backup side of it. The sync isn't quite there yet, but I have a truckload of backup files in my pc, which are in fine condition, I've checked. For backing up it has replaced my use of sendsx at every tweaking session.

Back
Top Bottom