Woodstock 50

deakle

Experienced
Anyone see the lineup for the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert? Jay Z, Miley Cyrus, Chance the Rapper??? Seriously? Rock very under represented at 50th anniversary of one of the first great rock festivals.

Just saw the full lineup.......not quite as horrible as initially assumed....a couple treats per day...(Dead and co., Racontuers, Robert Plant ( who should sit in with Greta Van Zep....er ..Fleet) but still fairly lame as whole and worthy of non attendance....
lollapallooza
Lineup is also pretty lame, but better than this.....

All the festivals I've seen in the last decade have been lame, at least in the US. If I lived in Europe, I could spend a good month or two every year going to different ones.

I was living in the Tri-State area when the original took place, as hard as that is to imagine. Just a kid, but you knew something big happened when a small concert turned into huge event. Not much of a surprise that the sequels didn't live up to the original, as it was a popular music festival (the lineup included a lot of non-rock acts, and some music that was hard to define at the time) more than it was a strictly rock event. The sad thing is the state of popular music these days. But there is still great music out there, it just won't be at this festival. o_O

Know what though, I bet a bunch of older folks probably complained at what a poor lineup it was the first time around too....

Maybe they are having a lineup popular with younger audiences, not a bunch of bands middle aged and over guys want to see.....

I doubt they want to make Woodstock for the original people attending, it's a diminishing market...
I heard that... many of the people who played there are long passed. Jimi and Janis both lived only a touch longer than a year afterwards. Still I feel fortunate to have been around for the bands that came along in the 60s and 70s. It was an age of music.

Yeah , Bummer. Although having a 14 year old daughter has opened my eyes to some of the new music out today. Few and far between.
Billy Eilish has def got a unique sound. And Ariana Grande's new stuff....The Song "Bad Idea" is done pretty well.

I doubt they want to make Woodstock for the original people attending, it's a diminishing market...

On the other hand its a market with a lot of money. Boomers are far better off financially then millennials.

As for Popstock, what do you expect? Rock is dying and has been dying for decades. It's become the new jazz. Beloved by musicians, ignored by the mainstream. Festivals are in it for the money and the money today is not in rock. A few aging rock acts coasting on old success aside. You want to draw in big crowds with artists with name recognition you need to book the rappers and pop stars.

I refuse to attend any festival unless it has cell phone charging stations (and acceptable room accommodations). Kinda defeats the purpose.

The only festivals I go too are the ones I either get to play, or the ones where I go to work. As a visitor? Almost never. I always feel like a walking wallet, everything is so damn expensive.

As for festivals that actually rock, the university where I work holds a concert every year called Radboud Rocks! Except they never rock because all I see there in the years that I work there are rappers, DJ's and pop singers. But this year they finally have a rock band. A local rock band participated in one of the nation's talent shows, so they played themselves into the picture enough for the university to finally book an actual rock band.

And that's how you have to do it these days, boys and girls. Working on your own music, playing the club scene, releasing albums, it doesn't hurt, but if you really want to be successful you gotta be a youtube hit or join the reality TV circus.

Back
Top Bottom