Wondering why Steve Stevens panned his 2 cabinets 50% left & 50% right & not 100%L & 100R

Royalty

I have been using Steve Stevens Atomic Playboy patch as my main crunch rock sound since I got the FM3 and when he made the patch he panned the cabs
50 left & 50 right. I am just curious why he did not pan 100 % Left & 100 Percent Right. They are 2 different cabs. Wouldn't it been better to go hard left and right? Would it sound more stereo & wide going 100 % ??????????
regardless I still love the patch, but just wondering if it would be better at 100% hard left & right.

Give it a try and use what you prefer. Maybe he didn’t want it stereo and wide.

Two different cabs panned hard could result in a tonal imbalance in the stereo field. Maybe they’re just too different to hard pan?

Hi Royalty,
Sometimes you don't want to cover the entire sound stage with your guitar. Leaves room for other instruments, and allows you to pinpoint the guitar better aurally. Sure sounds more 'real' to me, though what is 'real' these days? :)

Thanks
Pauly
I have been using Steve Stevens Atomic Playboy patch as my main crunch rock sound since I got the FM3 and when he made the patch he panned the cabs
50 left & 50 right. I am just curious why he did not pan 100 % Left & 100 Percent Right. They are 2 different cabs. Wouldn't it been better to go hard left and right? Would it sound more stereo & wide going 100 % ??????????
regardless I still love the patch, but just wondering if it would be better at 100% hard left & right.

Id say to have a even blend across both L&R, I'd bet it it sounded better to him...

I've played stereo rigs since the 90's (as only guitarist in the band) ...... I normally keep delays as dual mono and only use stereo pitch +10/-10 cent or stereo chorus (or enhancer) as the fully panned left and right FX. There's only a slight but still pleasant effect for me on stage but when my rig is mic'ed up or if AxeFX, DI'ed I set the panning at the desk at 9 oclock / 3 oclock - the keyboards get full stereo panning. Just creates a window and concentrates the guitar better while still getting a spaced out effect for FOH ears .... keyboards playing big full range pad sounds can swamp me otherwise

It's his esthetic choice?

Live, if FOH is stereo at all, the wider your panning the more people who aren't right on the center line hear only one side or the other.

Depending if its in a mix, playing live ,sometimes you don't always want it panned hard left and right . Most of the time i'll do 9:00 and 3:00

Simple answer: He likes how it sounds.

Otherwise, it may fit better in the soundstage of what he’s doing or recording. As always, the cool thing is that you get to set it however you want. It’s a Fractal bonus that you get to change a star’s rig to suit you!

Back
Top Bottom