Wondering if it's possible to use a PC as a midi controller

Damianos

Hey guys, I think this is my first post here and I'll try to keep it brief. (Mods, feel free to move this to the most appropriate section)
I've had the axe 2 for a while now and I've been loving every moment of it. This baby was given to me as a gift, more so out of pity since I'm a relatively poor musician with commendable skill in playing and composing.
Feel free to laugh about the fact that I'm playing the Axe through a damned 15 watt L6 Spider 4 :| on an rg8.

Anywho, I'm wondering if it is at all possible to use my laptop as a sort of substitute for a midi controller in the sense of switching presets, scenes, using whammy swells and the basic 9 that you would possibly get from using the Fractal MFC.
I was also curious as to whether I could possibly control a PC based midi controller through Bluetooth device or app on my phone. I'm aware of how unconventional and possibly unreliable the set up would be but I'm jimmy rigging it through life at this point.
This forum has helped me many times and I'm appreciative of those who take their time to spare their knowledge.
I would have used the search function had I known what to search in particular, though believe me I've tried with no luck.
If anyone has any tips or tutorials, it would go a long way in helping with my musical career and finally allow me to do small sets at open mics and Sam Ash mic nights. I might finally get recognized! Many thanks for any advice I can get.

Unfortunately, the Fractal MFC is absurdly (and unfairly) priced for what it is, and I definitely do not foresee myself saving up for one. I'm 21 and paying rent, bills, and barely able to feed myself.
I could do without hostility, condescension, or sarcasm towards the fact that I may not be like you, or as fortunate, as I get that occasionally on forums full of people who have tons more money than I do. I also hope you don't take it in the wrong way, I'm just covering my bases. Thanks again.

:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

1. Excellent first post. :)
2. Yes, many DAW software packages can send preset midi messages to the AFX to have it change presets, etc. at a scheduled time.
Check out Using External MIDI with Logic Pro X - YouTube
3. If you were familiar with the insides of the MFC and how it works, you would understand why it costs so much. No one likes the price, but it's what we have.
Rock On!

In regards to the MFC cost, I will gladly agree on that, though I wonder why other companies haven't made cheaper alternatives by cutting corners and what not. My ignorance is stated at this point for sure.
I know the behringer is a reasonable alternative, but even then, bills come first. Thanks so much for the link, I'll definitely look into it after my quick dinner and let you know how it goes! Much appreciated and highly professional in terms of a coherent and straightforward answer. Many thanks!

Hey man, just checked out the video. I was already under the assumption that I could do something exactly like that through reaper or a midi sending program. Unfortunately the video doesn't contain axe fx specifics. I was more so looking for someone who has done this before, and to maybe perhaps have them walk me through it.
To clarify though;
> Looking for MFC functionality in the most relatively simplistic way possible, through a DAW or other simpler means
>A pertaining walkthrough of some sort, but will gladly take any advice
>And how to program said midi sends to specifically change banks, scenes, and possibly custom wah pedal patterns.

Regardless, thank you for the help.

(edit)
found some relevant videos on the subject but advice from someone who's been through the process and knows the most straight forward ropes would help me out the most. Especially since I have trouble staying focused on youtube videos, they can be outdated, and the low quality makes it hard to follow perfectly. I know I'm asking a lot for nada in return, just know it'd be going a long way in helping my life pick up pace.

It not too hard actually.
On your DAW, create a track that has output to the midi device.
Then at exactly 30 seconds into the track, send out a CC code to the midi port.
The AxeFX will read in the CC code and act accordingly.
You will need to review the CC codes that at the back of the manual, and probably on the AFX wiki page.
I did it a while ago for an automated scene change using Logic, then later figured out how to do it with Garageband.

Or, if you don't have a MFC, you can just use your laptop and keep AxeEdit open and ready for duty.
I think you can even change scenes from the front panel by just turning the big knob.
I am not much of a front panel guy, sorry..

John

I can hardly imagine a solution that would be cheaper than a 100USD secondhand FCB1010 and that would get you the same functionnality as PC stuff. So maybe think about the FCB anyway before losing much time. BTW, I must however add this : Better use an FCB with programming over PC/midi, as programming the thing manually is an olympic or athletic performanc, kind of "mexican tap dance" with your hands.

Yeah, the FCB is a bitch to program! I have owned three FCBs and can report that the tend to break after three years. After nine years I got Gordius Little Giant which is built like a tank and fully repairable. But hey , Have you looked into pluggig just any simple home keyboard foot switch into the Axe's pedal input (and calibrate it properly)? That will allow you to set up your prefered number of patches to circle through by kicking the switch. And then you can design your patches with lots of scenes variations and call up scenes by the Axe's front panel quick knob method. I do exactly this at my church concerts where I want to go as minimal as possible. You'll miss out on having a wha by an expression pedal in the pedal input but a wha block can be st to take control from a modifyer doing envelope follow and that's pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It not too hard actually.
On your DAW, create a track that has output to the midi device.
Then at exactly 30 seconds into the track, send out a CC code to the midi port.
The AxeFX will read in the CC code and act accordingly.
You will need to review the CC codes that at the back of the manual, and probably on the AFX wiki page.
I did it a while ago for an automated scene change using Logic, then later figured out how to do it with Garageband.

Or, if you don't have a MFC, you can just use your laptop and keep AxeEdit open and ready for duty.
I think you can even change scenes from the front panel by just turning the big knob.
I am not much of a front panel guy, sorry..

John

Yeah I think we went over the fact that I was looking for specifics on that sorta thing, I wouldn't know the codes without a reference. And I'm not sure what you were getting at with the axe edit knob turning remark... I'm sure it's obvious I'm not that stupid, and that wouldn't help with what I'm looking for. Thanks anyway though, you've given me progress and I appreciate it.

I can hardly imagine a solution that would be cheaper than a 100USD secondhand FCB1010 and that would get you the same functionnality as PC stuff. So maybe think about the FCB anyway before losing much time. BTW, I must however add this : Better use an FCB with programming over PC/midi, as programming the thing manually is an olympic or athletic performanc, kind of "mexican tap dance" with your hands.

Again, I'm extremely poor. I would kill for an FCB. Not at all looking to changes scenes and what not by hand, especially considering I couldn't use a whammy that way in the first place. I have a few apps on my phone that I figured would help over bluetooth as a midi controller. The controls would be on the guitar.

Yeah, the FCB is a bitch to program! I have owned three FCBs and can report that the tend to break after three years. After nine years I got Gordius Little Giant which is built like a tank and fully repairable. But hey , Have you looked into pluggig just any simple home keyboard foot switch into the Axe's pedal input (and calibrate it properly)? That will allow you to set up your prefered number of patches to circle through by kicking the switch. And then you can design your patches with lots of scenes variations and call up scenes by the Axe's front panel quick knob method. I do exactly this at my church concerts where I want to go as minimal as possible. You'll miss out on having a wha by an expression pedal in the pedal input but a wha block can be st to take control from a modifyer doing envelope follow and that's pretty neat.

What you're saying sounds very relevant to what I'm going for but what do you mean by plugging in a keyboard into the axe fx? Also not trying to turn knobs on the actual machine, I'd rather just make back to back patches and use the up button the thing for accuracy, considering the knobs aren't all that punctual.

You should try this Virtual Midi Foot Controller
Hope it works for you

THIS. Exactly what I was looking for, though I'm not sure if it'll work out for me. I'll report back after I do some research. If you have any links or tutorials, point me in the direction please! Thanks so much.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

You were not lucky, got mine second hand in 2010, it must have 8-9 years, I transport it in a rockbag. Switching scenes turning a knob while playing is not very comfortable IMHO, except for those being equiped with "extra-earthy powers" ;-).

LOL - I meant using a "cheap home keyboard switch", not plugging a keyboard into the Axe! . Any analog CV or simply on/off switch pedal will work for circling a pstch list by the "next patch" command.

Is it limited to 127 presets? Like a basic pedal is into the back of the Axe? Can't find a way to advance to other banks without setting up in a DAW which is an automated process, not a manual control option.

It has the capability to scroll through all of them apparently but the issue is that it literally crashes the axe fx itself. The axe screen just freezes and the program can't be closed. I think I narrowed the glitch down to the top buttons in the program gui, which don't do anything. I'm currently using a bluetooth keyboard on my phone to switch the patches and it's working alright but the random crashes are killer and definitely not reliable. Still on the hunt for a more solid program!

It has the capability to scroll through all of them apparently but the issue is that it literally crashes the axe fx itself. The axe screen just freezes and the program can't be closed. I think I narrowed the glitch down to the top buttons in the program gui, which don't do anything. I'm currently using a bluetooth keyboard on my phone to switch the patches and it's working alright but the random crashes are killer and definitely not reliable. Still on the hunt for a more solid program!

Thanks for the info. And I'm very interested if you come across anything else.

Is it limited to 127 presets? Like a basic pedal is into the back of the Axe? Can't find a way to advance to other banks without setting up in a DAW which is an automated process, not a manual control option.

mTroll (see previous post) can increment through all Axe-Fx presets:
press Mode
select Manual Program Change
to set the channel, press buttons for channel number, then press A to set the channel
press 1, then press C to send the program change (program 1)
then just press E to increment from that program (when it gets to 128 it will send a bank change automatically)
the display shows the midi bytes being sent

I have a software only version of my controller that I use for debugging (Windows+Mac). So it's completely possible. Things like tuner messages / patch names and so on all work the same as the hardware version.

Back
Top Bottom