Wonder If Anyone May Have Some Ideas On What's Wrong With My AXE II

Zmonk

Inspired
I've contacted support, but seeing as it's the weekend I figure I may not hear back until Monday, and thought maybe someone here would have some suggestions or thoughts. This is the email I've sent to support.

I'm having an issue with my Axe II. It's just over a year old and the problem just started out of the blue about an hour ago, it had been working fine all day when the problem started. I use my Axe as my sound card via USB and suddenly it started freezing during playback of any kind. It makes a loud digital "pop" followed by a constant high pitched digital squeal. The unit's screen goes blank and freezes. It works after power cycling, but immediately occurs again upon playback of any kind. I'm having no issue when just playing guitar through it, it only occurs on playback through the computer, Pro Tools, Windows Media Play, Foobar, Winamp, YouTube, etc. I have run through all of the normal trouble shooting procedures, both on the Axe and on the PC, and replaced the USB cable. I was hoping you may have suggestions. I'm having the same issue on multiple PC's and laptops so I think the computer can be removed from the equation.

I'm running Firmware 7.0

My main PC is:
Windows x64
Intel 2600k @ 4.8 Ghz
16 GB of DDR3 1900 RAM
And all sorts of stuff most likely no relevant to this issue.

Last edited:
is your audio playback playing at 48000kbps?

Yes, it is.

It's odd because nothing changed and it was on all day working fine. There was a storm earlier tonight, but I imagine if something was fried, it would be perma-fried, and not work for 10 minutes or so on occasion.

Last edited:
I've contacted support, but seeing as it's the weekend I figure I may not hear back until Monday....

I Emailed support a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and got a response later that same day, so you are likely to hear back from them before Monday.

How does one discern the difference between digital pop and squeal and plain old analog pop and squeal? :razz

I used to get this a while time ago when I had Axe Edit open and Reaper going at the same time with a specific Patch (gorillas Massive Marshall patch I believe which was massive sounding) it was a CPU over load. See it it happens with all patches or just a specific one.

How does one discern the difference between digital pop and squeal and plain old analog pop and squeal? :razz

LOL. It sounds like a robot dying. Wait, can robots die?

I used to get this a while time ago when I had Axe Edit open and Reaper going at the same time with a specific Patch (gorillas Massive Marshall patch I believe which was massive sounding) it was a CPU over load. See it it happens with all patches or just a specific one.

All patches, no other programs open.

Edit: Actually so far I've only been trying it patches from "Bank A". I guess I can try it with a patch from one of the other banks.

Edit 2: Yeah, it happens on all patches.

Last edited:
Oh well, tried to reinstall the firmware. Now it's completely bricked. Blank screen, with all the lights lit up. At least I'm in Boston and it will get to NH quickly.

Back
Top Bottom