Wizard Needed: Upgraded to the XL+ = MFC Miscommunication

MKeditor

Experienced
I've sorted through most of the problems but I still have a few IA switches that don't work even though they're assigned on the MFC to the blocks. Even having the Axe-FX "learn" doesn't work. It just keeps blinking "Learning". Also expression pedal 2 is controlling volume...which is not good. That's the role of pedal 1.

I think I will find the answers eventually. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. My hope is some Axe-FX wizard will have mercy on me so I don't have to use my wife's approach by keep pushing buttons until the desired result happens. I'm not looking for charity. I'm willing to pay a few bucks. Who is willing?

FYI: Both the MFC and Axe have latest firmware. I'm using Fastlink. The MFC is set to XL+ mode.

I don't need any money for it, but I will venture a little help.

Assuming your cables are all good (never hurts to swap them just to say you did...), here are a few suggestions:

1. The MFC is set for XL+ mode, make sure the XL+ is set for Faslink. I think you likely are as they won't communicate well without it.
2. The situation with the controllers and external connections on the MFC: You can assign the Ext Controller to anything in the Axe Fx that can be so controlled. So, if you want to control volume with External 1 you just have to go assign it that way. Check the section on continuous controllers in the manual.
3. IA Switches and blocks: For an IA to control a block, that block must exist in the preset and have an IA assigned to it in the MFC. Missing either one it won't work. Does the assigned IA light up for that preset? In other words, if the block is present in the preset and a IA assigned to it, that IA will light green or red depending on whether the block is bypassed or not. If there isn't a light, go backwards and find out what's missing.
4. Just pushing buttons: generally a bad idea. There are so many preset variations and possible adjustments, indiscriminate button pushing might introduce issues that would be impossible to find not looking at your actual machine. Best to work on one preset at a time, copied to a blank spot so you can always go back to square 1 when it goes awry on you.

Last but not least, learn how to export a preset and feel free to share it if you're having difficulty. This way others can try it on their system and help you identify if it is a malfunction, a setting, or whatever. You may just get back a properly tweaked and working preset for your effort.

Best wishes on your search.

I solved it. Well....actually, the problem is gone but I don't completely understand it. The ext pedal issue was that the Axe-fx had ext 1 and ext 2 backwards, which is why ext 2 was controlling volume. After I switch the midi numbers on the Axe-fx, not only did my pedals work correctly, but my IA button problem was fixed. I don't know why one would effect the other. Go figure. The main thing is I can get on to rebuilding my patches and have my rig back on line.

I don't need any money for it, but I will venture a little help.

Assuming your cables are all good (never hurts to swap them just to say you did...), here are a few suggestions:

1. The MFC is set for XL+ mode, make sure the XL+ is set for Faslink. I think you likely are as they won't communicate well without it.
2. The situation with the controllers and external connections on the MFC: You can assign the Ext Controller to anything in the Axe Fx that can be so controlled. So, if you want to control volume with External 1 you just have to go assign it that way. Check the section on continuous controllers in the manual.
3. IA Switches and blocks: For an IA to control a block, that block must exist in the preset and have an IA assigned to it in the MFC. Missing either one it won't work. Does the assigned IA light up for that preset? In other words, if the block is present in the preset and a IA assigned to it, that IA will light green or red depending on whether the block is bypassed or not. If there isn't a light, go backwards and find out what's missing.
4. Just pushing buttons: generally a bad idea. There are so many preset variations and possible adjustments, indiscriminate button pushing might introduce issues that would be impossible to find not looking at your actual machine. Best to work on one preset at a time, copied to a blank spot so you can always go back to square 1 when it goes awry on you.

Last but not least, learn how to export a preset and feel free to share it if you're having difficulty. This way others can try it on their system and help you identify if it is a malfunction, a setting, or whatever. You may just get back a properly tweaked and working preset for your effort.

Best wishes on your search.

I appreciate you responding.

Back
Top Bottom