With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

Oh man, I'm going to keep my Axe Fx II then, because the old TigerShark processors will sound way better than the new ones.

Interesting point. Unlike tube amps, we almost never wish to go back to our old pentiums.

Yes, this allows all those fragile harmonics to survive more easily
Everyone knows it takes at least 5 years for the crystal lattice to settle completely in a DSP chip. Don't even try to flip those notes before a solid 5 years of burn-in have occurred.

The fact is that no more high end DSP means that Tiger Sharc DSP was a dinosaur. It costed a lot of money for a very little market. It’s like 12V motor. In a few years every car will be electric and you’ll see no more heavy, polluting and expensive fuel motors.
It’s the same for TigerSharc kind of dsp. Even worse considering that you have to build billion cost factories to built them, wich is not the case for motor industry that can be reduced to small factories. Ferrari can still produce and repair old motors but Fractal won’t make their own TS dsp.

And buying 20+ years of dsp is certainly the most stupid idea for a business man like cliff.

So =
- yes AxeFX will be out of production pretty soon and we’ll not see any AxeFX 3.
- Ax8 range will continue with cheap dsp
- Cliff will make software.

But maybe high end dsp market will stop plumet and we’ll see some new TigerSharc one day. Who knows.

4VqA1_s-200x150.gif

The fact is that no more high end DSP means that Tiger Sharc DSP was a dinosaur. It costed a lot of money for a very little market. It’s like 12V motor. In a few years every car will be electric and you’ll see no more heavy, polluting and expensive fuel motors.
It’s the same for TigerSharc kind of dsp. Even worse considering that you have to build billion cost factories to built them, wich is not the case for motor industry that can be reduced to small factories. Ferrari can still produce and repair old motors but Fractal won’t make their own TS dsp.

And buying 20+ years of dsp is certainly the most stupid idea for a business man like cliff.

So =
- yes AxeFX will be out of production pretty soon and we’ll not see any AxeFX 3.

But maybe high end dsp market will stop plumet and we’ll see some new TigerSharc one day. Who knows.

Is that so? Quite the post.

So =

And you have CONFIRMED your statement? I'd like to hear someone from Fractal Audio chime in on this to confirm or deny.

Even worse considering that you have to build billion cost factories to built them, wich is not the case for motor industry that can be reduced to small factories. Ferrari can still produce and repair old motors but Fractal won’t make their own TS dsp.

I’m not saying Fractal will make its own chip, but not all semi-conductor companies own their fabs. Apple designs and manufacturers its own line of chips and they don’t own a fab facility. They outsource it to TSMC.

So =

I’d be more impressed if you put a concrete date on “pretty soon”. The trouble with astrology is always how vague its predictions are...

Reactions: Rex
I have a BLOCK LETTER Mark I unit from May 2012.

Just ordered an XL+ yesterday.

There's nothing wrong with the Mark I. I just gassed for an XL+

I won't pretend to understand this thread. I got a kick out of this old thing coming back again, and reading the opening comments with today's perspective - the Axe II ain't going anywhere soon, and will keep sounding awesome for years to come. Great product, great design, great support, great continuous improvement and code development. A company who cares.

About the only thing they haven't done right is release a line of hoodies. I mean, is that too much to ask for? Jeezle........

We haven't even started working on an Axe-Fx 3. We expect to continue making the Axe-Fx II for at least a couple more years.

Care to rephrase this @FractalAudio ? As someone who trusted you and purchased an Axe-Fx II XL+, MFC-101, EV-2, etc. based on your word, I am incredibly disappointed. Your statements like this were deceptive, misleading and downright unacceptable. Shame.

Care to rephrase this @FractalAudio ? As someone who trusted you and purchased an Axe-Fx II XL+, MFC-101, EV-2, etc. based on your word, I am incredibly disappointed. Your statements like this were deceptive, misleading and downright unacceptable. Shame.
Hasn't it been almost a couple of years since that statement? No one is forced to buy the new one.
I remember over the years where statements have been made "I like my original AXE FX better than all of them" "Wow this new firmware just ruined my AXE FX" "This is the best firmware that has ever been installed" "The improvements of this new model are incredible".
It would not matter to me if a new one came out every year. I would make a decision whether to buy now, wait for a while or not buy at all. This is not a partnership, but rather a business making decisions how to proceed to keep their product on top. If someone is disappointed, because a new product came out, it may be their fault for waiting a couple of years to purchase the new model.
If it helps I just purchased another new AXE FX and got it last Wednesday.

Hey, seems this thread has become obsolete in regard to the initial question. Now we know and I think it's great to know how the adventure will continue. Thanks FAS.

Back
Top Bottom