With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

d63e9e08366fdc.gif.6a9f4e124db3cc6a7ca1ea52716aa8a9.gif
@Lionheart I could not have said it better.
The OP is worried about Obsolescence. Everything in time technically becomes Obsolete. Usually the new model comes out and makes the old model obsolete. Or something better gets introduced. I'm on my 10th or 12 TV and it's obsolete. And I don't even want to talk about my Pro gear. I've gone from one mixer, amps, speakers, mics to another, because something better has been introduced. It's all part of business and even pleasure. If you want the latest, you have to buy it.
I've purchased items before, only to find a new model is going to be introduced. Every NAMM show has lots of gear that makes ours obsolete. So basically the OP has to make a decision to either jump in the game or stay out.

So, a year is too short, three years aren't. What about two years? 18 months? The later you sell it, the more bucks you'll have to add, IMO. I sort of understand a one or two month time frame, but a year is a long time to enjoy and make use of a device, I think.

I respect your opinion. Personally, I can't see spending $2,000 for a product whose successor is scheduled to be released within a year. While Axe-Edit is extremely intuitive, there's immense depth to the product. Thus, if I'm going to spend time learning a unit, getting comfortable with it, creating presets, etc., I'd feel better knowing I've got 2 - 3 years (or more) to invest myself in it before I start thinking about repeating the process with another unit. But that's me. If you don't have a problem spending a couple grand 5 months before an upgraded unit hits the market, I say more power to you.

I respect your opinion. Personally, I can't see spending $2,000 for a product whose successor is scheduled to be released within a year. While Axe-Edit is extremely intuitive, there's immense depth to the product. Thus, if I'm going to spend time learning a unit, getting comfortable with it, creating presets, etc., I'd feel better knowing I've got 2 - 3 years (or more) to invest myself in it before I start thinking about repeating the process with another unit. But that's me. If you don't have a problem spending a couple grand 5 months before an upgraded unit hits the market, I say more power to you.

You keep on repeating this new product in a year thing when Cliff has stated in this very thread that it will be at least two years before a replacement. So you have recieved that 2-3 year window you re talking about. Commence feeling better.

You keep on repeating this new product in a year thing when Cliff has stated in this very thread that it will be at least two years before a replacement. So you have recieved that 2-3 year window you re talking about. Commence feeling better.

I've repeatedly stated it's a non-issue:

Post #32: "The idea that there's working capital to purchase enough DSP's to last 20 years should put fears regarding production ending any time soon to rest."

Post #40: "... it's not an issue so it doesn't matter."

Post #67: "Of course we know that the Axe FX II likely won't be discontinued a year from now so this is really an exercise in pointless hypotheticals."

Post #86: "If I knew something was going to be outdated and replaced after a year, and its successor would have a lifespan of approx. 6 years, I would wait for the new hardware. Fortunately it's not an issue."

The only reason I've continued beating this dead horse is because some people continue to question my hypothetical stance on it.

Last edited:
Increasing the sales volume for FAS products is a natural goal. Evidence this with the AX8, FX8, ect, and tends to mean products at a lower price point to reach a greater user base. A software version of AxeFx would be greatly appreciated. The AxeFx II is the top line product for FAS and will likely remain so for years, so when AxeFx III shows up hopefully it will break new ground for the high end user. My hope is that the new product will increase the intergration capabilities with existing tube amps and all the new tube amps that will be created in the years to come. Many people in this forum seem to think that the AxeFx is suppose to replace tube amps entirely, make them obsolete. Not sure if this is the view Cliff holds but I think this is wrong headed and short sighted. We musicans tend to be gear heads as well, not all of course, but look at the money paid out for real Klon Centaurs, makes no sense in my view. Some members in this forum dislike my posts because I want an integrated reactive digital loadbox in the AxeFx. I realize not all members would want or use this feature and that it would raise the cost considerably but we are talking about the Top Line product FAS produces. Naturally top of the line is expensive and will always be so. I say relax, when the AxeFx III comes on the market I will buy one, probably more and yes I will still buy used AxeFx IIs, I have a lot of those pesky old tube dinosaurs laying around that can use a helping hand!

I respect your opinion. Personally, I can't see spending $2,000 for a product whose successor is scheduled to be released within a year.

You must not have owned many computers in the 90s! :)

I do think there are times where it makes sense to wait. I wouldn't suggest buying a new Samsung phone in Dec/Jan unless you really need one, knowing they announce new ones in Feb/March. But a year is quite awhile. In the end, it's all a personal choice. No right or wrong answers. Everyone has to decide based on whether they have something that works OK for them now, what their cash flow looks like, and how much "obsolescence fear" they can handle.

Another factor with Fractal is that you know that when they announce an Axe III, there will be a long wait-list. As frustrating as it would be to hear of a new announcement right after buying, unless you get really lucky in getting in on top of the wait-list, you'd probably have a good amount of time before the new unit was released, then more before you could get one. And it's not always a bad thing to let others be the early adopters and work through any early bugs. Not that I'd expect that to be a problem with Cliff/Fractal's track record, but especially if they have to switch to a significantly different DSP architecture, I might be inclined to hold off a bit anyway. The Axe II is so good, and will be so much better by the time development does stop, that I don't know that I'll feel a need to jump onto it right away. (Well, maybe...)

You must not have owned many computers in the 90s!

I didn't, but I didn't upgrade my PC every year. While they weren't cheap, I didn't pay the equivalent of $2,000+.

I do think there are times where it makes sense to wait. I wouldn't suggest buying a new Samsung phone in Dec/Jan unless you really need one, knowing they announce new ones in Feb/March.

Upgrading a phone (at least the one I use) isn't nearly as cost prohibitive, hence upgrading every year wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.

Another factor with Fractal is that you know that when they announce an Axe III, there will be a long wait-list. As frustrating as it would be to hear of a new announcement right after buying, unless you get really lucky in getting in on top of the wait-list, you'd probably have a good amount of time before the new unit was released, then more before you could get one.

Well, they say the early bird gets the worm, though I wouldn't be surprised if the company hadn't learned a thing or two about prepping stock by then.

And it's not always a bad thing to let others be the early adopters and work through any early bugs. Not that I'd expect that to be a problem with Cliff/Fractal's track record, but especially if they have to switch to a significantly different DSP architecture, I might be inclined to hold off a bit anyway. The Axe II is so good, and will be so much better by the time development does stop, that I don't know that I'll feel a need to jump onto it right away. (Well, maybe...)

Given the chance, I wouldn't have any qualms about being an early adopter, but that's just me.

Upgrading a phone (at least the one I use) isn't nearly as cost prohibitive, hence upgrading every year wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.

See, there likes the issue... Money is relative

To you, the cost of a phone upgrade isn't cost prohibitive, but likely to someone else maybe the cost of even a phone is. To another, the cost of $1000 or so, per year for Axe upgrades (if a reality) isn't considered cost prohibitive.

We've got all walks of life on these forums, from home players who bag groceries all summer to save up for an Axe, to home players who have a 7 figure job to easily afford such luxuries (when they aren't having all their money go to the wife and kids lol).

We've got dudes touring in a band that sleep on floors and hope to have gas money, and we've got platinum recording artist with millions stashed away in the bank.

Only thing we really have in common is we all love and enjoy our Fractal gear. With regards to tone, it works. With regards to if its "affordable" its all totally relative.

Me and James Hetfeld can now have the same custom amp model in our Axes. He can probably afford to have a few more backups than me though

I expect that I'll be playing my current guitars through my current Axe FXII well past the time they are all considered vintage and/or obsolete...
( that is - provided my fingers, hearing, and the gear all hold together).

To you, the cost of a phone upgrade isn't cost prohibitive, but likely to someone else maybe the cost of even a phone is. To another, the cost of $1000 or so, per year for Axe upgrades (if a reality) isn't considered cost prohibitive.

Considering the average income in the U.S. and EU, it seems somewhat cost prohibitive for the average consumer, but then it's irrelevant whether it is or isn't cost prohibitive for anyone else because I wasn't making an objective statement of fact, which is why I often add the words "but that's me". Note the words "for me" in the comment you were replying to.

Considering the average income in the U.S. and EU, it seems somewhat cost prohibitive for the average consumer, but then it's irrelevant whether it is or isn't cost prohibitive for anyone else because I wasn't making an objective statement of fact, which is why I often add the words "but that's me". Note the words "for me" in the comment you were replying to.

I know you said "for me" and thus that is why I specifically said "for you" in my response..... The whole darn point I was trying to make is things are relative per the INDIVIDUAL, and that means, YOU, me, and anyone else. You seem to understand the concept as it applies to YOU, but at the same time seem to miss the fact that everyone else in the world also has a "for me" viewpoint of their own.

I guess best advice to you is just keep upgrading your cell phone, and enjoy whatever you've got for the next year and a half, Fractal isn't for you because your going to be too worried about if something new gets released to enjoy the thing

I know you said "for me" and thus that is why I specifically said "for you" in my response..... The whole darn point I was trying to make is things are relative per the INDIVIDUAL, and that means, YOU, me, and anyone else.

The entire point of your post was to demonstrate that 'money is relative'. I heard you the first time.

"See, there likes (sic) the issue... Money is relative"

"With regards to if its "affordable" its all totally relative."

There's no point in repeating it a second time as no one questioned whether "money is relative" to begin with.

You seem to understand the concept as it applies to YOU, but at the same time seem to miss the fact that everyone else in the world also has a "for me" viewpoint of their own.

Classic example of a non sequitur. It's like saying that because a person understands their point of view, they fail to recognize everyone else has one, too. The conclusion doesn't logically follow, especially considering I stated point blank, "I respect your opinion" to another member regarding the issue in post #146 and proceeded to share my personal perspective, which was prefixed with the word "Personally".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom