With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

Awww come on, no need for mud slinging. Just trying to toss in a little levity. In all reality this is kind of a pointless thread anyway. Whether to buy or not to buy electronics of any kind or price is a completely personal feeling on how you feel your money is best served. There's no one good answer.

How is it any more pointless than the 10,000th "how to get a great djent" sound thread?!? What makes it pointless are the repeated off-topic replies along with the chest beating of people who are fanbois...

How is it any more pointless than the 10,000th "how to get a great djent" sound thread?!? What makes it pointless are the repeated off-topic replies along with the chest beating of people who are fanbois...
giphy.gif

It's pretty hard to find anywhere on the internet where stuff doesn't go off topic. In the long run it's easier to deal with if you just learn to mentally filter that stuff.

And thus illustrates (IMO) the need for a little levity being interjected from time to time in convos like this. Wow man, relax. Anyway, 'nuff off topic posts from me. I'm gonna take a seat on the couch next to Mr. Colbert.

Bring on the new version/chip whatever whenever it's ready. What's it mean for the old version? Who cares. It'll still work. I have a Digitech 2101 from 1994. That still works. It made it's money back, great box, still fun to play with occasionally. Same with a bunch of other stuff. Most of it works. Some doesnt. Some is unrepareable. My AXE FX II, great box, made it's money back, an endless source of great sounds, and in a few years will undoubtably be replaced or outdated. That's how it goes. Buy one, use it and enjoy it and If it gets replaced in one year, then use it and enjoy it for another year while you save up for the next! It's guitar fx, not life and death.

If I knew something was going to be outdated and replaced after a year, and its successor would have a lifespan of approx. 6 years, I would wait for the new hardware. Fortunately it's not an issue.

If I knew something was going to be outdated and replaced after a year, and its successor would have a lifespan of approx. 6 years, I would wait for the new hardware. Fortunately it's not an issue.

how is it known that it is not an issue? No one knows except Cliff.

I just helped my elderly neighbor clean out her attic.. Her husband had passed, he kept a lot of old stuff & they had lived in that house for 65 years.
Anyway, can you believe he actually had old TV's from the 50's, old phonographs, a few old guitars and really big old dusty amplifiers. Those things actually had those glass bulbs in them, they were a pain in the ass lugging out to the curb to throw away. She wanted to give the all that stuff away to good will or something but I told her there is no way any of its any good any more & that it's all really old outdated technology. She said he used to love to play, and played all over the place, & the stories he used to tell about all these cool cats he played with. ;)

people are making analogies/comparisons that don't apply.

If you bought an Axe Fx 2 XL+ today, and next year, an Axe Fx 3 is out, you would be pissed. Admit it.
Pissed is a bit strong of a word, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Of course, just because the new one is out, doesn't mean my old one suddenly will stop working. I'd look at the new features and see how updates end up with my current gear, and at some point likely jump in on the "new toy", just not right away. When I did jump, I'd sell my current to help offset the cost... with Ultra's still getting nearly $1000, I personally am not too concerned with the value of Axe-Fx II after III comes out :)

If you bought an Axe Fx 2 XL+ today, and next year, an Axe Fx 3 is out, you would be pissed. Admit it.
A few years back, I bought an Ultra. Ten months later, the Axe II came out. I spent about five minutes thinking, "Bummer. i don't have the best anymore." Then I got over it. I had a blast with my Ultra for the next year, after which I jumped on the Axe II bandwagon. No regrets. I got my money's worth.

And what if you didn't buy it today, missed out on a year of enjoyment of having the best guitar processor on the planet, and the day before you got your new Axe3 you lost your left hand in a accident ?

Why miss out on a year of the here and now, just to have what might come later ?

Is the XL+ not still going to sound great in a year ? Of course, and IF, I repeat IF there is a Axe3 in a years time, and you feel you just have to have it, then sell the XL+ for probably $1500 and go get your Axe3.

Best of both worlds, something great to use, and then a moderate cost of upgrading. Nice thing about Fractal gear is it retains plenty of value.

Actually, I would be excited to hear what's new and simply plan to sell my year old XL+ when the new model drops if the new features are desirable. I might kick myself a little for not getting the XL+ closer to it's unveiling but after seeing how well FAS products have held their value in the 2nd hand market over the years it's really not such a huge deal. The knowledge you will have gained using the XL+ for the year you had it is IMHO far more valuable than the few hundred dollars you may lose in the upgrade process.

And what if you didn't buy it today, missed out on a year of enjoyment of having the best guitar processor on the planet, and the day before you got your new Axe3 you lost your left hand in a accident ?

Why miss out on a year of the here and now, just to have what might come later ?

If I'd had to choose between waiting a year for the XL+ or buying an Ultra at the time, I would've waited because I think the XL+ is that much better and worth the wait.

Is the XL+ not still going to sound great in a year ?

The Ultra still sounds good but it's no XL+. If it was, very few people would have sold their Ultra to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom