With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

My issue with all this is that I don't want the company to go through a hassle because chip manufacturers are being hit with economics and are forced only to produce what is useful for the most high volume selling products. I want the greatest possible variety of chips available. Keebler chips, Nestle's Toll House (why a toll house? ), thank goodness we have the new GMO free Hershey's chips. I just want my choice of chips.

It seems whenever I am ready to make a large purchase, I show up during news like this. TigerSharc chips seem to be stopping production. I speculate that this is probably why the Axe Fx has been out of stock for a while.

But what does this mean for the future of the Axe Fx in general? I would really hate to spend $2000+ if it looks like it is heading towards being obsolete in a year. It is known that the company seems to be heading towards a VST Plugin direction. I also read a comment by Cliff this morning on TGP that suggested that he and the team are in contact with the company that produces the TigerSharcs and are inquiring about their new DSP line. This further suggests research is being made toward the possibility of a new unit/new design.

I'm starting to think it is best to perhaps try to get a used AF2 unit as cheap as I can, to avoid investing too much in case a new unit is in the works.

Thoughts?

I don’t understand all the „Oh my god the TigerSharc is being discontinued, what’s going happen to my Ax?“, or “If I buy one now will I get an Ax without processors and an IOU taped to the processor locations?”

If development would stop today or FAS would cease to exist, I would buy a second Ax now and be set for the next 20 years (pretty much the rest of my lifespan). The Software is currently so awesome that I’m 100% content that I’m not missing anything outside of my Ax-world. If all these fears would become true, then in 10 years from now the Ax will row in with highly sought after vintage equipment like a 59 LesPaul today, including some hefty value gain. I mean seriously, just how fuckin much better can it get?!”…. I mean what the hell are all you on the fencer’s waiting for?

Hey Cliff….can’t you model a TigerSharc on a ATtiny13 or something like that?.... come on dude, where is that mega epiphany… just kidding… before anyone takes that seriously!:cool:

it's not so much that Axe Fx would stop production, it's that I fear a new version will come out very soon within the next 12-18 months.. Perhaps an Axe 3. With the release of the FX8 MK 2, I sense that a new Axe FX revision, or Axe FX 3 is next.

I could be wrong. It would really suck if I purchased an AF2 now, and that happened.

it's not so much that Axe Fx would stop production, it's that I fear a new version will come out very soon within the next 12-18 months.. Perhaps an Axe 3. With the release of the FX8 MK 2, I sense that a new Axe FX revision, or Axe FX 3 is next.

I could be wrong. It would really suck if I purchased an AF2 now, and that happened.

I seriously doubt that anything that comes after the AxeII will end up making the AxeII any less desirable. With worrying about what may come next, you’re just standing in your own way dude and you’re missing out big time…

...I fear a new version will come out very soon within the next 12-18 months...It would really suck if I purchased an AF2 now, and that happened.
A new version of the phone in your pocket will come out in the next 12-18 months, if not less...and that's always true, every day. In which case it sucks that you bought a phone ever. ;)

I totally don't get fearing an improved product.

Why? The AF2 is a total beast. It's worth it. If even for a year. It won't be obsolete for a long time, because it will run circles around the competition soundwise for years to come. We've seen the newest from the competition recently and it can't hold a candle.

BTW, just a couple of months ago Cliff commented he hadn't even started on a new model yet. Which is rare for a company owner to divulge, but he's been known to do weird things.Like give away free updates. Somehow I don't think he was lying through his teeth. Even if he were to work on a new model, development of something like this will take at least three years.
BTW, only thing I could see worth updating are some effects and the UI. Should that happen in the further future I fully expect the II will be worth a hefty dollar when I will sell it. If I will. Because it is a total tone beast and that won't change.

FX8 Mk2 diff is mostly cosmetic. Noisefloor lowered so little you will not notice because your guitar was responsible for 99.99897 of the noise in the old model and 99.99973 of the new one.
Love the black faceplate, though. It is so... Batmannish. It's Kewllll. They should sell black rims for the MFC. I've always found the aluminium tacky.

So. Bottom line.
What you have to ask yourself is this:

Do I want to live without the best tone machine on the planet for one day longer?

Especially on a whim that it would be updated in an unforseeable future...

Last edited:
Would it be possible to just paint the rim on an MFC? Totally cool to have a metallic purple mirror shine one...

Then again I don't have an MFC. I have an LF+ 12+ which is a totally cool black. Except for an ugly logo.

I can't help it, Jeff! Love the 12+ but the logo is just fugly... Sincerely hope I'm not treading on any designer souls here.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Have I mentioned I display 8 out of 9 symptoms of ADD?

WOW! What is that bird!

I like turtles.
Where? I love turtles! With their shiny shells and sharp teeth... You know what else has sharp teeth? Japanese saws. They are sharp! As sharp as Ellen Degeneres! I'd vote for her any day! If I lived in the US. Which I don't. But Ellen is cool. Not as cool as Ice cream. I love chocolate chunks. And my cat. You know who else loves cats? Cliff does. Yes, that Cliff. You know!

well it is a $2000+ machine. If someone out there can afford to upgrade to a newer $2000+ machine after a year, then great. Not everyone can though.

If a new revision comes out, but all updates will continue to be supported by the older revisions (like original Axe 2 is with the XL's) then that's fine.

But if something like an axe 3 comes out, and all updates on the axe 2 would cease. That would suck. Imagine how the people who bought an Ultra a few months before the Axe 2 was announced, felt?

That is a very crappy feeling. You then get into the game of selling, so you can put it towards the newer product. In the end you have lost money. People rationalize and say "oh but that doesn't mean that the ultra sounds worse, it still sounds good", which is true, but c'mon.....everyone knows that deep down, they wish they had the next gen hardware, and even if the Ultra still sounded good, it would bother them on a subconscious level.

I will still purchase an Axe 2 because I need a top of the line studio/practice machine, but I'm just laying out my thought process.

well it is a $2000+ machine. If someone out there can afford to upgrade to a newer $2000+ machine after a year, then great. Not everyone can though.

If a new revision comes out, but all updates will continue to be supported by the older revisions (like original Axe 2 is with the XL's) then that's fine.

But if something like an axe 3 comes out, and all updates on the axe 2 would cease. That would suck. Imagine how the people who bought an Ultra a few months before the Axe 2 was announced, felt?

That is a very crappy feeling. You then get into the game of selling, so you can put it towards the newer product. In the end you have lost money. People rationalize and say "oh but that doesn't mean that the ultra sounds worse, it still sounds good", which is true, but c'mon.....everyone knows that deep down, they wish they had the next gen hardware, and even if the Ultra still sounded good, it would bother them on a subconscious level.

I will still purchase an Axe 2 because I need a top of the line studio/practice machine, but I'm just laying out my thought process.
the ultra stopped updating because it literally capped out on memory, IIRC cliff has said the axe II still has plenty of room under the hood to grow as well

I don't think there's anything unusual about someone wanting to hold off buying a product in this price range if they believe a new and improved version will be available within a year. But the bottom line is it's not an issue.

Somehow I don't think he was lying through his teeth. Even if he were to work on a new model, development of something like this will take at least three years.

That's why I hoped that maybe this would accelerate the process a bit. I'd certainly be happy to see a more powerful Axe

I don't think there's anything unusual about someone wanting to hold off buying a product in this price range if they believe a new and improved version will be available within a year. But the bottom line is it's not an issue.

Problem is here if you live your life by this philosophy, you'll never buy anything tech related. You'll always be stuck in a loop waiting to spend your money on the next best thing that might be coming out. If I had a friend in that conundrum, I'd smack him in the head and say buy the damned thing! lol.

Moore's Law: Every 24 months processing speeds will double.

Problem is here if you live your life by this philosophy, you'll never buy anything tech related.

There are a lot of people that live their life by that philosophy and buy tech related products on a regular basis because they're not all $2,000+ investments.

Back
Top Bottom