With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

rich2k4

Inspired
It seems whenever I am ready to make a large purchase, I show up during news like this. TigerSharc chips seem to be stopping production. I speculate that this is probably why the Axe Fx has been out of stock for a while.

But what does this mean for the future of the Axe Fx in general? I would really hate to spend $2000+ if it looks like it is heading towards being obsolete in a year. It is known that the company seems to be heading towards a VST Plugin direction. I also read a comment by Cliff this morning on TGP that suggested that he and the team are in contact with the company that produces the TigerSharcs and are inquiring about their new DSP line. This further suggests research is being made toward the possibility of a new unit/new design.

I'm starting to think it is best to perhaps try to get a used AF2 unit as cheap as I can, to avoid investing too much in case a new unit is in the works.

Thoughts?

Existing stocks of DSP chips may take years to deplete ..... I'm not dumping my Axe, or planning to, because of this news. A new better choice to replace it must appear and stabilize before even considering such an option.

Kinda like buying a PC; by the time you learn it, it is surpassed.

Whatever happens I can assure you the user base is still here to warrant the software support from fractal.

Also the Axe Fx has reached its iPhone like status imho. Everything after this one will just be iteration.
Size, memory, io all that stuff could move forward but simulation wise it's all there and there's no reason why anyone would need to buy anything for another 10 years...

Everybody relax.
relax_o_231614.jpg

That's what people thought pre-Quantum. Don't underestimate Cliff & Co.

I might well be underestimating things but surely we are at least close to diminishing returns.
I think the cabinet/speaker simulation and IR tech is really the only thing that could make a giant in the future.

There are players who still claim "it's not quite there". But I get the feeling that they will always say that no matter what.
To go back to your original post which was asking basically "should I hold off from buying' I would say not.
There will always be another version of everything.You just have to find a great time to jump in.
Like I said before and have thought about myself before purchasing. If it's good enough now then it'll be good enough in 10 years...

Good tone is timeless, so whatever tones you'd get right now would still be amazing in 10 years, no matter what crazy guitar amp/modeling innovations develop in the meantime. Maybe you should buy a used unit if you're that concerned about it, or maybe an AX8 and then sell it later to get some of your money back. But let's not kid ourselves, the current lineup sounds incredible and nothing that will come out in the future can take that away.

There are players who still claim "it's not quite there". But I get the feeling that they will always say that no matter what.
Yea I'm one of those players:eek:. But then again I'm one of those players that has also owned pretty much every amp and guitar you can name. So I'm probably never going to be quite there.;)
Comparing panic over an AXE FX version becoming obsolete to Computers, there will always be a newer model coming out. So the OP should never buy a new computer, because it will become obsolete. With that said, my message to the OP is "you can buy my used AXE FX2 XL Plus, as soon as Fractal comes out with a new model". And if the Axe FX gets discontinued, you can have mine for twice what I paid for it, because nothing comes close to it.

Everybody relax.
You said that already in the other thread.

You do know what the definition of insanity is, don't you? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

That axe in your avatar worries me more and more. Whatever you do, don't go near Cliff Chase with that axe!!!

But why should we relax, then, dear Matthew? (Don't know if it's Matthew. Is it? Can we say it?)
why?... Why?... OH, BUT WHY?!??

Did I mention I'm just a little insane myself? Please humor me...?

Yea I'm one of those players:eek:. But then again I'm one of those players that has also owned pretty much every amp and guitar you can name. So I'm probably never going to be quite there.;)
Comparing panic over an AXE FX version becoming obsolete to Computers, there will always be a newer model coming out. So the OP should never buy a new computer, because it will become obsolete. With that said, my message to the OP is "you can buy my used AXE FX2 XL Plus, as soon as Fractal comes out with a new model". And if the Axe FX gets discontinued, you can have mine for twice what I paid for it, because nothing comes close to it.

With computers, I would still get all the OS updates for many many years. If I knew a new Windows OS was coming out next year (which is always known, well in advance) I would wait before I buy. But even if I didn't wait, OS's get updates for many years even after a new OS comes out.

In this case, it is unknown whether the Axe Fx 2 will be replaced by this time next year. $2000+ is spent on the unit and it may be possible that you will only have updates for only a year.

If I could get reassurance that this happening is highly unlikely, I'd feel better about it. However, getting that reassurance will probably not happen.

With computers, I would still get all the OS updates for many many years. If I knew a new Windows OS was coming out next year (which is always known, well in advance) I would wait before I buy. But even if I didn't wait, OS's get updates for many years even after a new OS comes out.

In this case, it is unknown whether the Axe Fx 2 will be replaced by this time next year. $2000+ is spent on the unit and it may be possible that you will only have updates for only a year.

If I could get reassurance that this happening is highly unlikely, I'd feel better about it. However, getting that reassurance will probably not happen.

Go look at the Fractal firmware page. What models are supported with the latest release? How long have those models been in production? That is your best clue.

Also, check resale value on eBay. FAS gear is a pretty good investment. I've cycled through a number of units myself as I upgrade to the latest models.

I would really hate to spend $2000+ if it looks like it is heading towards being obsolete in a year.

I'm starting to think it is best to perhaps try to get a used AF2 unit as cheap as I can, to avoid investing too much in case a new unit is in the works.

Thoughts?

This is the perennial problem when buying tech products. If you wait for the "perfect" time, you'll never buy.

I'd say get the best model you can afford now and resell it to fund a future upgrade. Buying used makes sense if you are comfortable with that process. If the peace of mind of a product under warranty is valuable to you, pay the extra to get a new one.

Either way, I hate to think of all the time you are spending *without* an AxeFx! You'll never get those Axe-less minutes back, so buy soon!

Back
Top Bottom