...With Just 3 Switches

Jipps0525

Power User
New FM3 owner here. Curious how everyone has just the 3 switches from the FM3 setup. I've watched some videos and there are some pretty applicable ideas out there. Leaning towards getting the FC-6 once I learn the unit more, but want to spend more time with the 3 switches to see if I can make it work. Just curious how everyone has their 3 switches set up. Appreciate your input and ideas in advance!

with scenes toggle, you can get access to 6 scenes pretty easily in 1 layout. That's not bad considering all the on/off options you can do in just one scene. That is my best tip. Or you can map 3 blocks to turn on/off for a more spontane approach. HOLD to flip to a new layout with more blocks for example.

I use an external tuner with this setup. I'm also considering using a single scene setup w/control switches to vary gain.

View 1
1. Scene 1/2 (Hold=Auto-wah)
2. Scene 3/4 (Hold=phaser on/off)
3. Control Switch solo boost w/delay (Hold=View 2)

View 2
1. Drive on/off (Hold=View 1)
2. Auto-wah on/off
3. Trem on/off (Hold=View 3)

View 3
1. Tap/Tempo
2. View 1
3. View 2 (Hold=View 4)

View 4
1. Tuner
2. OMG9 Layout
3. View 1

Last edited:
I'm using a slightly modified OMG3. It's surprising what can be done with th 3 switches and I'd feel comfortable gigging with it. I do have an FC6 arriving soon, mainly because blem pricing and I can use it with my FM3 and Axe 3. I'll use the FC6 with my cover band (when gigs exist) because I cover a lot of ground on guitar parts and need everything a simple as possible to switch. Other situations I'll use the FM3 alone because I can get what I need with the 3 switches and OMG3.

The more I learn about the Fractal switching the more impressed I am. I don't think there's any modeler on the market that allows the same level of configurability and flexibility.

Last edited:
New FM3 owner here. Curious how everyone has just the 3 switches from the FM3 setup. I've watched some videos and there are some pretty applicable ideas out there. Leaning towards getting the FC-6 once I learn the unit more, but want to spend more time with the 3 switches to see if I can make it work. Just curious how everyone has their 3 switches set up. Appreciate your input and ideas in advance!
See post 4 above.
Using 3 layouts to do everything. Access 6 effects, all scenes, presets in banks of 6 (so it you use an FC 6 you can access them directly).
I use this when I don't want to lug the FC6. It's better with both FM3 and FC6, but the OMG3 has been a life saver for me.

See post 4 above.
Using 3 layouts to do everything. Access 6 effects, all scenes, presets in banks of 6 (so it you use an FC 6 you can access them directly).
I use this when I don't want to lug the FC6. It's better with both FM3 and FC6, but the OMG3 has been a life saver for me.
Yeah I started reading the other thread and def will try it tonight. Do I need to download something other than FM3 edit to import and play with the layouts? Im still confused on whether the "OMG" stuff is a separate app or just all stuff done within FM3 edit?

I have been getting along wonderfully with the three switches. I have built and plan on adding a 4-switch box to mostly handle navigation and tap/tuner. I have found most of my navigating away from the scenes and effects layout is to access the tap tempo or tuner. I also use two expression pedals and plan on running them via midi. I haven't implemented this yet, as I need to get the device which will convert the sweep of the pedals to midi. Once I do this, I am pretty sure I will be set and have all the functionality necessary to get through any gig.

Yeah I started reading the other thread and def will try it tonight. Do I need to download something other than FM3 edit to import and play with the layouts? Im still confused on whether the "OMG" stuff is a separate app or just all stuff done within FM3 edit?
Just FM3 Edit.
OMG is just a name that evolved over the various iterations of layouts. It started with OMG9. I called mine FM3 Alone but people stated to call it OMG3.

Just FM3 Edit.
OMG is just a name that evolved over the various iterations of layouts. It started with OMG9. I called mine FM3 Alone but people stated to call it OMG3.
Okay cool thanks for clarifying. Im def going to try it tonight. One thing Im not sure about though is having to click multiple times to access the tuner (if I read that correctly in the other thread about the layouts). When playing live, I often hit the tuner to mute my signal in between songs and stuff

Okay cool thanks for clarifying. Im def going to try it tonight. One thing Im not sure about though is having to click multiple times to access the tuner (if I read that correctly in the other thread about the layouts). When playing live, I often hit the tuner to mute my signal in between songs and stuff
Easiest way to handle this would be an external switch assigned to the Tuner function.
on OMG3, you long press the left switch to go into utility menu which has tuner and tap tempo - so 2 switch presses, from the Home Menu.

I'm also a relatively new owner and have been using the following switch setup that works great for me.

I have the default home layout as Scenes. (Layout 2)
FS1 is Scene 1 - Clean
FS2 is Scene 2 - Rhythm
FS2 is Scene 3 - Lead

Long hold FS1 takes me to the looper layout.
In Looper layout:
FS1 is record - long hold switches back to Scene 1 Clean (useful if started the loop with either rhythm or lead)
FS2 is play - long hold goes back to Layout 2 (Scenes)
FS3 is undo/erase - long hold activates Scene 3 Lead

in the home Scenes Layout I have FS2 set as long hold - effects and FS3 set as long hold - tuner.

The new update also added double-tap back to previous.

Last edited:
Easiest way to handle this would be an external switch assigned to the Tuner function.
on OMG3, you long press the left switch to go into utility menu which has tuner and tap tempo - so 2 switch presses, from the Home Menu.
With OMG3, by long press do you mean Hold? So a Hold + a click? If that's the case, that's not too bad

Before you buy an FC-6 you may want to consider utilizing a couple of stand-in switches. For me compactness is a priority and the addition of two external stand-ins provides plenty of flexibility.

Before you buy an FC-6 you may want to consider utilizing a couple of stand-in switches. For me compactness is a priority and the addition of two external stand-ins provides plenty of flexibility.
FM3 with a switch is very good. FM3 with FC6 is MUCH more comfortable. If the added "bulk" is not an issue, it's much better.

which stand in switches did you get?

Back
Top Bottom